cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Oculus sensor disconnects are back?

RedRizla
Honored Visionary
I have just noticed my Oculus sensor disconnects are back and it happening every 20 to 60 seconds. Whats are Oculus doing to fix the issues with Usb disconnect problems? This problem has gone on for months now without a proper fix.
27 REPLIES 27

HoIIywood
Heroic Explorer
Great TC, let us know if you have any issues with the new unit.

MrPark94
Protege
Also 3 months without problems.. Now added touch and extra sensors..  same problems all over again.. so sick of this shit! Recomended card.. recomended cables etc..

MrPark94
Protege
Thinking of throwing my rift out of the window..sick of it.. 

MrPark94
Protege

ftonin said:

I have the same issue and reading the forums I have put together a list of about 15 ways that may or may not fix the issue.

The main problem is that the issue is very erratic. Sometimes you can go for three days without disconnects. Then they start again, you try everything you can think of and then the disconnects stop. You think you have done something that fixed the problem but that may not be the case. You might just be lucky for the next three days: it has nothing to do with all the tricks you played with drivers and reboots.

As far as I know my list of 15 trick so solve the issue could be totally bogus.

Also, lots of people don't wait a long time before posting that they solved the problem and describing their own "trick". Maybe the disconnects restarted a week later and we will never know.

What I am trying to say is that we don't have a good chance of finding a solution because the problem is too erratic... it makes testing impossible.

Same  here.. i tried everything.. and everything you think i solved it.. but no change.. so frustrating.. why cant Oculus fix this problem is beyond me..
i really love the rift When it works.. but if i had Now this from the start.. i would pass on buying the Thing.. 

Aculeus_
Explorer
In my latest effort to obtain decent Touch tracking, I updated to the latest Fresco USB drivers instead of using the default Windows 10 drivers for my USB card.  I've seen a lot of conflicting posts on which one to use.  Now, when I was drawing the Guardian Boundary, 2 of my sensors disconnected.  Then one would reconnected and another would disappear.  It was like watching a Christmas light show.  I've had one disconnect once while configuring tracking, but I've never seen it this bad.  I have the two front sensors plugged into an Inateck USB card.  The headset into the mobo.  The 3rd sensor into a mobo USB 2.0 port.  I've split the USB load as much as I can.
I've disabled all Windows power management stuff.  

Every time I try something new, I think it ends up worse.  I believe Oculus has said there are some software bugs when it comes to tracking, but I wish they'd be more specific so I'd know if I should keep messing around with my setup. 

You'd have to think the majority of customers have a working setup.  I wonder how widespread this issue really is.  If it was really this hard for most people, I would think gaming websites and reviews would have mentioned something.  I've only seen one review, which was written recently, that said the tracking was sub-par.  They didn't say it was totally broken.  Just not as good as the Vive.  I follow a couple of youtube channels dedicated to VR and listen to a few podcasts and they haven't mentioned the issues we're having.  GiantBomb is always streaming long VR play sessions.  If something wasn't working for them, they'd definitely say something.   I think a peek into the Oculus bug tracker would quell a lot of frustration.  

Update:  I tried the setup again and my front right sensor disappeared at the same exact spot when I was tracing my room.  Then I moved a little bit and that sensor showed up and the other's disappeared.  Sensors seemed to be connecting and disconnecting as I moved towards them.  There must be a hand-off bug.  I hit BACK and get back to the beginning and it says I have 3 sensors and they're all "OK"
I'm still having a lot of trouble on the screen where you stand in view of all sensors and hold the trigger.  The first time I did it, around release day, with 2 sensors, it worked first time.  Now it takes like 10 tries.  If I'm lucky enough to have it work, as I rotate the controller to line up the sensors, the 3 sensors sometimes blink.  As an experiment, I covered the controller with my hand, they all go away.  So the blinking must be the result of one of the sensors dropping out or something.  

Update 2:  I got through the guardian setup.  My in-game hands used to just dance around when they were to my right or slightly behind me.  Now they jitter when they're right in front of me.  It looks like they want to escape my arms.  I used to be able to play games where most interactions are in front of you, now I can't even do that.  I think the Fresco drivers made things worse.   

Siegfriedshead
Protege
Sorry for bumping an old post, but if anyone's wondering.. it seems sleep mode in windows causes a lot of these problems. Since I got the inatek card, I've been having these same sensor drop outs whenever I try to play after waking my computer from sleep mode. I stopped using that and am just shutting down and booting up between use now. No problems at. Sensors have never worked better.  Now, the update to the inatek card made everything go haywire for me. I don't recommend that. I started even getting headset not detected errors after installing that and I even had to pull the card out and put it back in before I could get it to install the original driver afterwards. That just created more problems. I've yet to try turning off power management for the sensors. I'll see if that fixes it, but again these issues can be a lot of things (all fixable) but it's most often to do with sleep mode. Avoid it if you can. Also. there are better cards out there than the inatek one. Ones with 4 controllers in them instead of one. Check the Oculus blog. There's a post about suggested accessories such as usb cords, hdmi cords, expansion cards, etc.

elboffor
Consultant

😉
This is my forum signature.
There are many others like it, but this is mine.

Anonymous
Not applicable

Sorry for bumping an old post, but if anyone's wondering.. it seems sleep mode in windows causes a lot of these problems. Since I got the inatek card, I've been having these same sensor drop outs whenever I try to play after waking my computer from sleep mode. I stopped using that and am just shutting down and booting up between use now. No problems at. Sensors have never worked better.

Fairly new Rift owner here, having had mine about a month. I too run the Inatek PCIe USB 3.0 card as the Oculus checker I ran before purchasing the Rift had warned me about my onboard USB3 ports known to cause issues.
I too experienced these sensor disconnects on a daily basis and was pulling my hair out. I also disabled sleep and just completely shut my PC down at night.

The Inatek card runs the Rift great, however it has a big shortcoming. You can disable power management in device manager, but it does not keep the setting upon a reboot. Making it a bit of a pain to have to go in and disable them again after each new boot.  And if the sensor ever goes to sleep, it won't come back on again until after a reboot is done - big pain.

I ended up downloading and running the Oculus Tray Tool that ApollyonVR developed and made available on the forum here, I have it set to run upon each boot. And I have it set to disable all power management features on the Inatek card upon each boot. I have not had a single sensor disconnect since.

Why in the world Innatek or Fresco Logic developed those drivers to enable power management on each boot is beyond me. Like most other devices, when a user sets it to disabled it should retain that setting. All my other USB ports do.

I can imagine what a new Rift owner that maybe not too tech savy may go through with this issue using that Inatek card. Heck I was initially pulling my hair out over this - thankfully I love to read forums and quickly found what the issue was and how to fix it for my setup.