Hmd Tracking Stutters with more then one sensor - Page 4 — Oculus
New to the forums? Click here to read the "How To" Guide.

Developer? Click here to go to the Developer Forums.

Hmd Tracking Stutters with more then one sensor

Comments

• Mnem0nicMnem0nic Posts: 57
    Hiro Protagonist
    I'm sure its just teething problems, I mean the Vive when first released was not flawless out of the box and had near the same issues with drifting/warping controllers but not nearly as bad and was fixed pretty fast if I remember rightly.. 

I'm sure Oculus are on the case, just have to play the waiting game  :(
  • SuperTuckSuperTuck Posts: 119
    Art3mis
    Yeah, but they have had an extra eight months to iron this out before launch. Losing a bit of faith right now.
    Hiro Protagonist
    SuperTuck said:
    Yeah, but they have had an extra eight months to iron this out before launch. Losing a bit of faith right now.
    Yeah I totally agree, I guess I'm just making excuses to my self to soften the blow a bit hehe.. 
  • StreetPreacherStreetPreacher Posts: 224
    Nexus 6
    edited December 2016

I've had the Vive and Rift since launch, and the Vive NEVER had ANY TRACKING PROBLEMS that I can recall...  Just stuck the lighthouses in opposing corners of the room and forgot about them, while tracking always worked flawlessly...

I had just finished packing up the Vive to sell after my Touch arrived, but now I'm seriously reconsidreing which unit to keep...

The trouble is I assume that the Rift will be VERY difficult to sell second hand now that the embarrassingly inferior tracking system has been discovered...

• cyberealitycybereality Posts: 26,156 Oculus Staff
    Thanks for sharing the logs. This will help us get to the root of the problem.
    AMD Ryzen 7 1800X | MSI X370 Titanium | G.Skill 16GB DDR4 3200 | EVGA SuperNOVA 1000 | Corsair Hydro H110i
    Gigabyte RX Vega 64 x2 | Samsung 960 Evo M.2 500GB | Seagate FireCuda SSHD 2TB | Phanteks ENTHOO EVOLV
  • XlordBXlordB Posts: 289
    Nexus 6
    edited December 2016

I've had the Vive and Rift since launch, and the Vive NEVER had ANY TRACKING PROBLEMS that I can recall...  Just stuck the lighthouses in opposing corners of the room and forgot about them, while tracking always worked flawlessly...

I had just finished packing up the Vive to sell after my Touch arrived, but now I'm seriously reconsidreing which unit to keep...

The trouble is I assume that the Rift will be VERY difficult to sell second hand now that the embarrassingly inferior tracking system has been discovered...

the tracking problems  most have including me are not hardware related the sensors are way more capable than we see advertised. the problem lies more with the way the software is handling the tracking. The problem i see is that they seem to have designed the software with mainly 180 degree tracking in mind instead of actually trying to design the software for an actual two sensor each corner 360 setup. because of this most of us who want to do corner to corner two sensor room scale are having tracking issues. they would have been better optimising it for that since 90 percent of us most likely would prefer that setup imo.

Nexus 6
    Xlo the tracking problems  most have including me are not hardware related the sensors are way more capable than we see advertised. the problem lies more with the way the software is handling the tracking. The problem i see is that they seem to have designed the software with mainly 180 degree tracking in mind instead of actually trying to design the software for an actual two sensor each corner 360 setup. because of this most of us who want to do corner to corner two sensor room scale are having tracking issues. they would have been better optimising it for that since 90 percent of us most likely would prefer that setup imo.

I've been reading people report similar issues even using the recommended 180 setup...

And I do agree that the Rift sensor hardware seems to be more than capable (tracking does indeed cover my entire room floor to ceiling), but I guess they just rushed the software so they could launch before Xmas...

I'd be surprised if these issues weren't noticed during in-house testing, and now we all get to pay to help beta test the tracking system...

It's just frustrating to be standing in full view a few feet in front of a sensor, and seeing my 'hands' stutter and swim around.

I knew that there would be potential issues with occulusion, but in practice occulusion has never been a problem.  The problems seem to happen when youre in the middle of the playspace in full view of both sensors...

• SuperTuckSuperTuck Posts: 119
    Art3mis
    The problem for me seems to be sensor hand off. I get jumping controllers and HMD when I quickly move between sensor areas sometimes.
  • itakumreitakumre Posts: 5
    NerveGear
    I also have problem with stuttering tracking on both headset and touch controllers. It is most noticeable when I try to look behind me.
    My setup is 2 sensors, front facing. 
    I have tried to switch USB ports, change sensors placement and angle, switch power management setting on Windows 10 and still nothing.
    I wonder if this event log:
    {!ERROR!} [Kernel:Error] Image did not pass the sanity test!  Throwing it away (camera possibly in a bad state)
    means that I have faulty sensor...
    Uploading my logs. Hope it will help somehow.

Hiro Protagonist
    Cool,, heres mine too if it helps,, although I get the same issues with 3 sensors I'm just using two for now to quickly try 360 tracking in SS:First Encounter (Great game btw).. Same "Poor tracking warning" using the supplied extension lead, I normally have two sensors in USB 3.0 and one in USB 2.0 as your guide says and get the same message in home after a jittery session lol..

I've tried all sorts of combos with USB ports etc and I just get the same problems with tracking and the same warning no matter what sensor I use on the extension lead, So I have ruled out a faulty sensor, at a loss now but I can see the grass is defo greener when 360 tracks perfectly for that short but brief moment...     
  • DocsteelDocsteel Posts: 31
    Brain Burst
    SuperTuck said:
    There's a good chance they will figure out some fixes to correct a lot of the issues, but it may take some time.  The Touch in the wild along with three sensors is still a new thing for them.  That being said, given Facebook's, ahem, liberal data collection policies I am amazed they haven't been pulling good information on everyone' setups to help triangulate on the issues.
  • XlordBXlordB Posts: 289
    Nexus 6
    Ive just tested my controllers with only one sensor plugged in.. they work but somehow i still get the same tracking issue with the hand either floating inwards slightly or warping around if i get to about 2 metre away im wondering of some led lights or some shiny thing in my room is causing this? 
  • PuppetxPuppetx Posts: 5
    NerveGear
    I also have this vertical tracking issue.  Sometimes I'll snap up but not back down.  I'll be ~8 inches taller at least until the tracking issue is triggered again.  This puts objects on the floor out of my range as I hit the real floor before the virtual one.

This issue is reproduced reliably for me within a minute of starting "First contact".  I've tried many things to resolve, got the pci-e USB 3 card, tried different sensor positions, re-calibrated, etc. but it still plagues me.

Logs attached.
  • Callidus80Callidus80 Posts: 24
    Brain Burst
    Was hoping to demo the Oculus and Touch to the family when they come around for Christmas. Any ETA on the Oculus Home update to resolve this issue?
    Nexus 6
    So should I pack up the Rift and Touch and just start using the Vive again?  I really can't believe how bad the tracking is when compared to the lighthouse solution...

Is this something that we can expect to be resolved?  I'm doubtful since support just keeps asking people for logs, and if they actually knew what the problem was then they wouldn't need feedback from us PAYING beta testers...

What a joke.
  • beetlefeetbeetlefeet Posts: 1
    NerveGear
    I'm getting the same issue, no problems when I had one sensor,. When I got touch and a second sensor it started happening a bit. Now with a third it happens pretty often. I can see the same snapping up and down as in the videos here. In between the glitches tracking is basically flawless. It definitely seems to be related to some sort of sensor 'hand-off' as I can pretty reliably trigger it by facing and moving towards a different camera such that maybe the 'preferred sensor' (if there is such a thing) would change.

It is a shame around Christmas as I was hoping to blow my family's minds as they're over tomorrow, but this brings it from the realm of magical to the realm of an amusement that is still too glitchy to be properly immersive. :(
  • saiboteggahsaiboteggah Posts: 6
    NerveGear
    HoIIywood said:
    BCL74 said:
    @cybereality some say it could be an issue with imu calibration, is there a way I can get the tool to check, or does that seem incorrect? 
    In Oculus Home at the top choose the cog wheel, then goto Settings.
    On the new page, select Devices and there's a 'Configure Rift' drop down menu where you can choose to Reset Sensor Tracking. This will check your connection and sensors are healthy.

If you want to do the room layout/Guardian again, then in that same drop down select Guardian System
    In this thread:
    https://forums.oculus.com/community/discussion/comment/473462#Comment_473462
    there were several people had success running Full Setup, rather than Reset Sensor Tracking, to fix tracking issues involving tracking and upside-down cameras. I was having the same problems I'm seeing described here, and looking at my logs I also see "Too much camera movement" entries. I spent several hours trying to isolate usb and other hardware issues and reset the sensor tracking dozens of times. In the end, running Full Setup instead of Reset Sensor Tracking made everything work, though it still makes no sense to me that it should.
  • FormatterFormatter Posts: 2
    NerveGear
    Make sure when set up tracking for 3 sensors that you put the controller above your head instead in front of your face so all 3 sensors can see it .https://support.oculus.com/help/oculus/199906947113632/?helpref=hc_fnav
  • FormatterFormatter Posts: 2
    NerveGear
    It worked for me after 3 days of stuffing around trying to get it working properly.
  • MrPark94MrPark94 Posts: 144
    Hiro Protagonist
    BCL74 said:
    @cyberreality I really think this is a usb issue. I mentioned I moved everything to another computer and the issue subsided. The thing is, when I switched the USB ports on the 2nd computer, the issue came back. When I moved them back to the ports they were at, HMD and 1 sensor directly into the MB and the 2nd sensor on the front panel, the issue subsided again. Obviously this is anecdotal, but trying out multiple setups and multiple computers, it seems very dependent on which ports each is plugged into...
    I have been struggling with sensor issius from day one..so sick of it.. 
    on day one when the rift launched with one sensor on the reccomended inateck card.. after trying everything the problems went away for a couple of months.
    the i bought touch and a third sensor, the sensor problems started again... i now have the 2 front sensors in the inateck card.the 3 rd one in a usb 2.0 slot in my moba..and the hmd in a 3.0 port on my moba. (x79 asmedia)
    this works for a while.. and then the sensor problems on the 2 sensors on the inateck card..act up again.. to the point the rift is unusable. i have my 2 sensors connected to recommended  5M active cablematters cables..
    my drivers ae up to date..literly tried everything here on the forums.. but the problems still return.
    thee are lots of people experiencing this problems.. and still no solution from oculus.
    Hiro Protagonist
    i tried to sent a log file.. but when i lolk here C:\Program Files (x86)\Oculus\Support\oculus-diagnostics

there is no oculus folder to be found.. only on normal program file folders.. but there is no OculusLogGatherer.exe

to be found
    Hiro Protagonist
    Mnem0nic said:
    Cool,, heres mine too if it helps,, although I get the same issues with 3 sensors I'm just using two for now to quickly try 360 tracking in SS:First Encounter (Great game btw).. Same "Poor tracking warning" using the supplied extension lead, I normally have two sensors in USB 3.0 and one in USB 2.0 as your guide says and get the same message in home after a jittery session lol..

I've tried all sorts of combos with USB ports etc and I just get the same problems with tracking and the same warning no matter what sensor I use on the extension lead, So I have ruled out a faulty sensor, at a loss now but I can see the grass is defo greener when 360 tracks perfectly for that short but brief moment...       

Same here.. 2 bat=d tracking errors on the inateck catd.. i use 2 active 5m extension cables from cable matters.. only thing that helps is unplugging and reinserting them.. then it works fine for a couple of hours..sometimes days..and then it acts up again.
  • FlausnFlausn Posts: 187
    Art3mis
    fix this its a shame !!!!! and annoing !!!!!
  • rabbitovskyrabbitovsky Posts: 8
    NerveGear
    So should I pack up the Rift and Touch and just start using the Vive again?  I really can't believe how bad the tracking is when compared to the lighthouse solution...

Is this something that we can expect to be resolved?  I'm doubtful since support just keeps asking people for logs, and if they actually knew what the problem was then they wouldn't need feedback from us PAYING beta testers...

What a joke.
    I would advise playing with the Vive until they fix this.  It's a completely fixable software-side glitch that somehow must have never gotten picked up by QA.  I imagine there will be a fix in he next couple weeks and agree with a previous poster that it's a shame it happened around Xmas.

For what it's worth, tracking has been damn near flawless with 1 sensor, and was perfect (minus occlusion from behind) 180' with 2 sensors.  The moment I got a 3rd sensor, used extensions, downloaded fresco drivers....well, the whole system went off crap.

Its embarassing, but I bet within a month it will be fixed and nobody will even care.
  • rabbitovskyrabbitovsky Posts: 8
    NerveGear
    Btw, I decided to heed what some of the others in here were saying, and uninstall fresco, go back to two sensors, plug the sensors in my mobo 3.0 outlets and my headset into my (apparently buggy?) inatek 3.0 expansion (where I get a warning sign that I need to update my drivers in the set up screen), and keep the sensors on my desk with the same pivot.

Zero tracking issues, outside the 180' occlusion.

Plugged my 3rd with included extension into a mobo 2.0 outlet, same height, in recommended experimental set up, same pivot--minor hiccup issues, but 99% occlusion free.

Fix this stupid software issue Oculus!  We are so close! :)
  • coderzerocoderzero Posts: 13
    NerveGear
    edited December 2016
    MrPark94 said:
    i tried to sent a log file.. but when i lolk here C:\Program Files (x86)\Oculus\Support\oculus-diagnostics

there is no oculus folder to be found.. only on normal program file folders.. but there is no OculusLogGatherer.exe

to be found
    Try :  C:\Program Files\Oculus\Support\oculus-diagnostics
    Hiro Protagonist
    thx that worked
  • DibelabbesDibelabbes Posts: 80
    Hiro Protagonist
    Any news on that, Oculus?
  • R0cksteddieR0cksteddie Posts: 28
    Brain Burst
    I posted in a similar thread which is basically the same issue where my HMD stutters when turning around which started when I added my second sensor with Touch.  I get the occasional height glitch but I'm getting more of a millimeter sideways glitch (hard to describe) where the whole image shifts.  I attached my logs in the other thread and was told one sensor seemed to be timing out (getting lots of Frame Truncated Errors) and to try in a USB 2.0 port.  Well of course I tried both sensors in a USB 2.0 port and it made no difference what so ever.  I've added a powered USB HUB, swapped ports 3.0 and 2.0 again all had no effect.  This is with all the usual updating drivers, changing USB power settings in Windows 10 and I also bought an Inatek card I haven't installed it as I really don't think its a USB bandwith issue due to the next paragraph.

In the end I decided to try and go back to one sensor which happened to be my new 3rd sensor that turned up yesterday so brand new, and to my horror I'm getting the same glitching with only one sensor and it was quite bad.  I hadn't restarted the PC after re-running the set-up and changing camera's mind you.  I'm really at a loss now, it cannot be my PC as it worked flawlessly when I first used the rift as nothing hardware wise has changed so now I'm thinking it's either the HMD itself that is faulty or it's just been caused by a change/update in the Oculus software.  I can really only hope it's the latter and that some update will be provided soon!!
  • LukimatorLukimator Posts: 27
    Brain Burst
    edited January 2017
    I posted in a similar thread which is basically the same issue where my HMD stutters when turning around which started when I added my second sensor with Touch.  I get the occasional height glitch but I'm getting more of a millimeter sideways glitch (hard to describe) where the whole image shifts.  
    Can you check if you can see those shifts on the mirrored view in the monitor? It sounds like the issue I have, but the funny part is I can't see anything wrong in the mirrored view, only in the HMD

I believe the most recent Home update broke something