cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

My Oculus Ready PC only has 1 HDMI port

michaelm9945
Sightseer
I connect my Monitor through USB connection and I need to also connect the Rift to a USB port.

I found this Adaptor on ebay. Would this work, so I can connect both the Monitor and the Rift?

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/181533846519?_trksid=p2057872.m2749.l2649&ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT

24 REPLIES 24

Anonymous
Not applicable

The DK2 came with an HDMI→DVI adapter, does the CV1 not have that? Even if it doesn't, go and pick one up and use the DVI output on the video card.

No it doesn't come with any adapter. I think its best to let the rift use the HDMI and then use the adapter/other cable for his monitor.

RobHermans
Superstar
Ok, leaving that component out seems a bit of an oversight, then!

FrozenPea said:
I think its best to let the rift use the HDMI and then use the adapter/other cable for his monitor.

Yes, that's what I meant...should have made that clearer, sorry.

Anonymous
Not applicable
@michaelm9945 , I also bought the Alienware oculus ready bundle and got the same computer. In your pic at the top left where it indicates the second HDMI port there should be a very tiny little cap with a circle with a slash through it. It's very very hard to get out (needed to use a tiny sharp knife initially to pry it up) but once the cap is off underneath is a fully functional HDMI port. Hope that helps! (By the way I was confused at first too)

Anonymous
Not applicable

@michaelm9945 , I also bought the Alienware oculus ready bundle and got the same computer. In your pic at the top left where it indicates the second HDMI port there should be a very tiny little cap with a circle with a slash through it. It's very very hard to get out (needed to use a tiny sharp knife initially to pry it up) but once the cap is off underneath is a fully functional HDMI port. Hope that helps! (By the way I was confused at first too)

I'm pretty sure the reason they do that is because it's the motherboard HDMI port which you shouldn't be using, hence why it was so hard to get off! :smile: 

You want to make sure you are only using your graphics card ports!

nalex66
MVP
MVP
Most of the top-end video cards have only one HDMI port. I have a GTX 980, same thing--one HDMI, one DVI, three Display Ports. Use the HDMI for the Rift, and either a Display Port or the DVI (with an adapter if necessary) for your monitor.

Don't use that other HDMI up by the USB ports! That's the integrated video of your motherboard. If you use that, you're not going through your dedicated video card, and you'll have crap performance for gaming or VR.

DK2, CV1, Go, Quest, Quest 2, Quest 3.

Try my game: Cyclops Island Demo

ECBL
Protege
@michaelm9945
Yea this pissed me off when I got mine. It's a simple fix, but unacceptable considering it's supposed to be "Oculus Ready".
Anyways, I ended up getting an HDMI (female) to Display Port (male) adapter to run my monitor through one of the like 4 display ports. That freed up the only useable HDMI for the Rift.
Needless to say I had gotten an Asus 19" monitor with my bundle and it ONLY had VGA out lol. Ridiculous considering the VGA out on my rift ready PC comes disabled anyways.
But yea, if you haven't done so already, get yourself one of those adapters. They run about $8-12

drchandler
Honored Guest
sure wish i'd read these a week ago.  you think it pissed you off in may? try watching your nine year old thrilled to see what santa brought, only to realize he couldn't use it till we can find an adapter. try explaining how the elves could have screwed that up! what's the point in calling it oculus ready when it clearly is not!

TwoHedWlf
Expert Trustee

sure wish i'd read these a week ago.  you think it pissed you off in may? try watching your nine year old thrilled to see what santa brought, only to realize he couldn't use it till we can find an adapter. try explaining how the elves could have screwed that up! what's the point in calling it oculus ready when it clearly is not!

The hardware requirements clearly say it requires an HDMI output.  If you're using an HDMI monitor also then you do the math.

Also the minimum suggested age to use the Rift is 13, why would you buy it for a 9 year old?

Arock387
Heroic Explorer
yeah my 980 only has one HDMI so I use that for my rift but that's fine because I have a 4k monitor so I use displayport for that.

Chairface
Protege
The pc was oculus ready. You weren't pc ready.