Medium Frequently Asked Questions - Page 2 — Oculus
New to the forums? Click here to read the "How To" Guide.

Developer? Click here to go to the Developer Forums.

Medium Frequently Asked Questions

Comments

• nickzuccnickzucc Posts: 76
    Hiro Protagonist
    I am really loving the program. I have found that I need to be very gestural with the sculpting rather than more exact (what I am used to in ZBrush) This is really cool, but I have noticed that the model changes a bit when adding resolution, has noise that I need to smooth out. I would really like an advanced setting for pressure sensitivity on the brush. I am finding myself barely touching the trigger to get the control I am looking for, most of the time I have to sculpt too much into the surface and then knock it back with smooth. I really wish there was the ZBrush equivalent to their clay tubes brush and the damn standard brush, it feel like you have to sculpt everything with ZBrush's standard brush. Once I learned how to digital sculpt, that was the first brush that I started using very rarely in special occasions just because of the way it builds on the surface. Also if you made the equivalent of ZSpheres that would be amazing, I am currently using the straight line tool to make a beginning skeleton and then sculpt from there. I also imported in human parts from ZBrush and turned them into stamps, then I could add them into the program and use them to build a figure. This worked rather well, but I need a way to rotate all the stamps in the program once you have them in your hand as a tool, there are time I want to use the shapes in a certain way and I either need to rotate the sculpt into a really odd orientation or I need to have my hand in a very uncomfortable position to add the shape the way I want. But I must say, this a revolutionary way to make art...I really am blown away!
  • XlordBXlordB Posts: 289
    Nexus 6
    edited December 2016
    naaa man trying to control the pressure in sculpts is the most fun part of medium if you take away the "unique skill" of the artist trying to sculpt by allowing specific pressure option it would be kind of ,, meh.. :) but one thing i would like to see is an option for the hand to be locked in place so for instance when using the lathe you could build a stamp set it to subtract and then hold it on the sculpt with the lathe spinning and then say maybe press the right thumb stick to lock the hand in place for accurate cuts.. And also while the hand was locked you could push up on the right thumb stick to move the hand forward or back. It would be like having one of those machine lathes that can cut objects out of stuff perfectly.

• kojackkojack Posts: 5,152 Volunteer Moderator
    edited December 2016
    @MattHickmansomething you might want to add to the faq in the importing section: OBJ files need to be triangulated. The OBJ format supports any number of vertices per face, but Medium only uses the first 3 vertices. Most modelling programs like quads, and Blender defaults to exporting quads as 4 vertex faces when exporting to OBJ. There's a flag in Blender's exporter to triangulate faces. Without ticking this, the mesh imported into Medium will have a heap of gaps.

P3nT4gR4m said:
    ker2x said:
    I'm curious, why people say it voxel ? As far as i know it's good old regular polygon based modeling.
    When working with it, it doesn't behave quite like regular poly modeling. I can't remember the technical term I heard for how they're calculating the geometry so it's easier to say "voxels" which (I think) are kinda similar.
    The tech is called "Signed Distance Field" similar to voxels.  

Source: https://www.facebook.com/pg/oculusmedium/videos/?ref=page_internal
    If any of you have ever been to ShaderToy, half those shaders are using signed distance fields.
    Of course the creator of ShaderToy, Inigo Quilez, works for Oculus now and wrote Quill. :)

The idea is that you have a 3d grid. But you don't store a block at each position in the grid (like minecraft). Instead you store a number that represents the distance to the nearest surface. A positive number means you are outside in open space, negative means you are inside a solid object, and zero means you are right on the exact surface. The polygon model we see on screen or export to OBJ is converted from signed distance fields to triangles using an algorithm like marching cubes (or marching tetrahedrons, dual contouring, transvoxels, etc).

Doing what Medium does (constructive solid geometry) with just polygons is really painful. With SDF it's a breeze.

But you need to be careful of memory use. Increasing resolution of a layer to 1024x1024x1024 means over a billion values in the grid. A naive approach with a float distance and a 32 bit colour would take 8GB of ram regardless of what's in the layer. Spatial partitioning and compression can dramatically reduce that.

(Note, this is just generally speaking, I don't know how Medium really does it internally, I just know they use SDF of some kind).
    https://www.reddit.com/r/oculus/comments/5e4ftx/oculus_medium_review_a_powerful_tool_thats_easy/daaejuo/

• swedespadeswedespade Posts: 1
    NerveGear
    Love this. Can't wait to see how it evolves:) One feature that would help quite a bit is being able to choose a fixed angle when using straight lines (or at least being able to see what the angle is while drawing)
  • residualechoresidualecho Posts: 1
    NerveGear
    Medium performs so well it was worth the wait. I have two future feature requests concerning stamps and obj import. I found myself wanting a low detail scaffold or I get carried away with textural detail in stamps, so assembling something in a 3D package would serve that purpose nicely. Barring that, a nice to have feature would be to use larger sizes for stamps for the purpose of blocking out shapes to detail at typical stamp scale afterward.
  • RoasterRoaster Posts: 1,052
    3Jane
    The orientation of the stamp-on-a-stick can be changed with the right joy stick right-left movement.  Up-down of course is size.
    i7-5820K @ 4.2Ghz, water cooled, Asus X99-Pro USB 3.1, 48 Gb DDR4 2400, Samsung 950 pro M.2 SSD, GTX 980 Ti SC, 750w psu
  • pointpusherpointpusher Posts: 8
    NerveGear
    First time posting here.  Just got my hands on Medium and I am already in love.  My question is, is there a way to quickly manipulate the lights around the scene?  If so, is there a way to store a default lighting setup?

3Jane
    edited December 2016
    Push the Y button (second button left thumb) to go to scene mode. Click on the light fixture and then you can drag it with right hand grip button and move it. While it's highlighted, press the gear button (first button right thumb) to open the light settings menu. It will remain active only for that sculpting session I think.
    i7-5820K @ 4.2Ghz, water cooled, Asus X99-Pro USB 3.1, 48 Gb DDR4 2400, Samsung 950 pro M.2 SSD, GTX 980 Ti SC, 750w psu
  • pointpusherpointpusher Posts: 8
    NerveGear
    Has anyone tried to capture their sessions with Camtasia (or Fraps or other screen recording software)?  Consistently, the video (captured from the desktop window) is focused lower than my eyes are when sculpting.  To see what I mean, check out the video here: https://www.dropbox.com/s/444k325jh7y6fzi/tooLow.mp4?dl=0

Is there a way to tell te output window to focus X degrees lower than my headset?  
  • nickzuccnickzucc Posts: 76
    Hiro Protagonist
    Have you tried Open Screen Broadcast? I was using windows for capture at first but switched over to OSB.
  • KevinLongtimeKevinLongtime Posts: 283
    Nexus 6
    Has anyone tried to capture their sessions with Camtasia (or Fraps or other screen recording software)?  Consistently, the video (captured from the desktop window) is focused lower than my eyes are when sculpting.  To see what I mean, check out the video here: https://www.dropbox.com/s/444k325jh7y6fzi/tooLow.mp4?dl=0

Is there a way to tell te output window to focus X degrees lower than my headset?  
    If you have an Nvidia card I used Nvidia Shadowplay:

• APEX16APEX16 Posts: 5
    NerveGear
    We are having issues with Medium crashing...got it to work once...but now it crashes. Please help
  • KevinLongtimeKevinLongtime Posts: 283
    Nexus 6
    Just had my first crash today too..
  • MitzellaMitzella Posts: 1
    NerveGear
    I hit the share button by mistake while exploring the interface.  It said my project was upladed to the assests site.  Can anyone tell me what and where that is?
    3Jane
    edited December 2016
    It should say first the item is in the upload queue, then that a browser is open on the desktop to finish publishing the asset.  From there you set permissions and name it etc. The site is  https://www.oculus.com/medium/artists/username
  • DevilstowerDevilstower Posts: 94
    Hiro Protagonist
    An extremely simple question, but one that's driving me bonkers ... how do I scroll in a menu?

For example, I open the list of tutorials. I can see down to item 7, which is half obscured. I try pointing at the item, pushing up down, left right on thumb sticks, pulling triggers, etc, but I can't get past that item.  The same thing happens on stamps. I bring up ALL, and I get a few rows of items, but I can't see how to push the list up or down.

What am I missing? Thanks.
  • nalex66nalex66 Posts: 4,375 Valuable Player
    Use the Grab button (side trigger) to drag the menus up and down.
    i7 5820K @ 4.25 GHz | EVGA GTX 1080 SC | Gigabyte GA-X99-UD4 | Corsair DDR4 3000 32 GB | Corsair HX 750W
    Corsair Hydro H100i | Samsung SSDs: 860 Evo 1 TB, 850 Evo 1 TB, 840 Evo 1 TB | Seagate BarraCuda HDD 3 TB
  • XlordBXlordB Posts: 289
    Nexus 6
    Sorry Had a chuckle at Devilstower took me a while also to figure that one out by myself lol :)
  • Wes1180Wes1180 Posts: 9
    NerveGear
    I'm getting some horizontal lines on all my objects, though when I look at other people's sculpts I haven't seen one with this yet.
    They get narrower as I increase resolution (as you can see on the right)
    I've got an amd card R9 280x (I read that it's been causing some other issues) but I have the most up to date drivers

The sphere on the left is just the regular sphere that it loads into when you start the program, and the thing on the right is just some scribbles at a higher resolution

Perhaps there's some option that I haven't disabled? Thanks
  • nalex66nalex66 Posts: 4,375 Valuable Player
    That is an AMD driver issue, from what I've read, but this one is not universal (unlike the other issues that came from older drivers). I'm not sure why some people have it but others don't.
    i7 5820K @ 4.25 GHz | EVGA GTX 1080 SC | Gigabyte GA-X99-UD4 | Corsair DDR4 3000 32 GB | Corsair HX 750W
    Corsair Hydro H100i | Samsung SSDs: 860 Evo 1 TB, 850 Evo 1 TB, 840 Evo 1 TB | Seagate BarraCuda HDD 3 TB
  • VeeRealMcCoyVeeRealMcCoy Posts: 11
    NerveGear
    " I would really like an advanced setting for pressure sensitivity on the brush."

"...if you take away the "unique skill" of the artist trying to sculpt by allowing specific pressure option it would be kind of ,, meh."

Reply does not compute.  No one said anything about taking stuff away -- only adding options.  Even someone who would usually use automatic pressure sensitivity would want to keep the option to use the controller for it for those times when variance in pressure would be called for.  
  • harpmakerharpmaker Posts: 5
    NerveGear
    how do we select independent objects and scale as well align to grid or ground
  • wxyzwxyz Posts: 18
    NerveGear
    How do I bring the downloaded Oculus stamps on the right menu into the program?
  • MattHickmanMattHickman Posts: 359 Oculus Staff
    wxyz said:
    How do I bring the downloaded Oculus stamps on the right menu into the program?
    They'll appear in your stamp menu with all the others in the custom group, you don't have to do anything special once they're downloaded.
    NerveGear
    My stamp import button worked for a while, but now it does not respond. Is there a memory limit?
  • MattHickmanMattHickman Posts: 359 Oculus Staff
    There's no hard and fast memory limit but importing a very large, dense mesh will take a considerable amount of time to import and reduce to the scale the stamps are at. If you're trying to import a very large mesh it may fail out to avoid crashing.
    NerveGear
    Thanks for the response
  • AdamlempelAdamlempel Posts: 3
    NerveGear
    Anyone know how to export their 3D recording of using medium for use in another 3D software like unity?
  • FrozenPeaFrozenPea Posts: 2,535 Valuable Player
    Anyone know how to export their 3D recording of using medium for use in another 3D software like unity?
    The file format used is made for use only within Medium from what I'm aware.
  • AdamlempelAdamlempel Posts: 3
    NerveGear
    is there a way to do 3D video screen capture with an oculus? Or is there a way to convert the file of a medium recording so that it can be used in Unity?