New to the forums? Click here to read the "How To" Guide.

Developer? Click here to go to the Developer Forums.

Right Controller losing tracking

whoa182whoa182 Posts: 385
Trinity
I've started to notice my right touch controller losing tracking. I'm not sure what triggers it exactly, but jumping into dead and buried might be one of them (or could be coincidence). 

The only way I can solve the issue is to restart Oculus home or take the battery out of the controller and put it back in.
CPU: AMD Ryzen 7 3700X RAM: 16 GB Corsair GFX: Nvidia RTX 2070 Super HDD: 1TB SSD HMD: Rift CV1 & Quest 2.

Comments

• n3cr0-0n3cr0-0 Posts: 186
    Art3mis
    ummm could be a few things and maybe someone else could chime in; if it was me I would go through the following: Maybe a dead batt(replace batteries) could be the sensors were moved (redo the set up for sensor tracking and gaurdian system, Could be the sensors are in a bad spot (reaching were the sensors cannot see will do this to mine as well)

I am hoping that adding a 3rd sensor will promote rock solid tracking but this is all theory for me atm. Sorry if I am pointing out what you already had tried but this is pretty much the limits of my help (hope I was somewhat helpful) wish ya luck!
  • whoa182whoa182 Posts: 385
    Trinity
    Thanks. The sensors can easily see the controller, I'm in the centre of the play space. Battery is full. I'll try doing the setup again and see what happens.. I wasn't aware that there'd be an issue if the sensor had been moved a little.. as long as it is still at the same height? 
    CPU: AMD Ryzen 7 3700X RAM: 16 GB Corsair GFX: Nvidia RTX 2070 Super HDD: 1TB SSD HMD: Rift CV1 & Quest 2.
    Art3mis
    Not sure I have pets so they constantly brush up on my sensors, I literally do that setup at least once a day.
  • MyrskalleMyrskalle Posts: 65
    Hiro Protagonist
    Yeah, Oculus needs to get a fix for this out ASAP, and also freaking communicate with us. A short post in the forums isn't enough. Make a statement that you are aware of this issue, and tell us WHEN can we expect a fix approximately and WHAT is causing it. Many people are suffering from this and it makes the Touch completely useless.

I can play for about ten minutes before this crap starts to occur. I take out the battery and put it back in, whereupon I can play for perhaps another five minutes if I'm lucky. In other words, my brand new Touch is completely unusable, and I'm baffled this got through testing considering the many (!) people who are experiencing this issue.

"Judge us on our Touch release" – it's your funeral.
    Art3mis
    edited December 2016
    Wow mine isn't that frequent, I didn't realize this was that big of an issue. Thanks for the information; Does that mean that rock solid tracking with 2 sensors might be possible after this fix they are working on?
  • YoLolo69YoLolo69 Posts: 1,158
    Wintermute
    I'm not impacted and don't think I'm the only one so rock solid tracking with 2 face front sensors is definitively a possibility ;)

“Dreams feel real while we are in them, it's only when we wake up that we realize something was strange.” - Dom Cobb

"Be careful, if you are killed in real life you die in VR too." - TD_4242

I7 10700K,  GTX1080 OC 10%, 32GB DDR4 3200Mhz, Oculus Rift CV1

Hiro Protagonist
    edited December 2016
    Yeah, before the issue occurs I have great tracking with only a few occlusion problems when going in the far corners or covering one controller with the other. I'll get a third sensor as soon as Amazon starts selling them, but I would be perfectly fine with two as long as Oculus fixes this damn issue.

Edit: I'm doing experimental 360 tracking (yes, the drifting occurs when doing 180 as well).
    Trinity
    I went through did the sensor setup again and it seems to have resolved the problem for now. Had quite a few games of dead and buried, went into rec room, played unspoken, and then back into dead and buried.

Tracking was great throughout! Hopefully it'll continue to be so. :)
    Trinity
    I loaded up dead and buried again today after a while, perhaps 30 + minutes, my controller  started to float away from me and tracking had degraded a lot. I resolved it by taking out the battery for a few seconds... 

Is this likely to be a software issue?
  • EliteSPAEliteSPA Posts: 1,560
    Project 2501
    I think all are USB compatibility issues.
    i7 6700K @ 4.2 GHz | Corsair 16GB DDR4 PC2300 | GTX 1080 Ti | Asus z170-Pro | Corsair RGB Strafe Keyboard | Logitech G27 | Oculus CV1 + Touch + 4 Sensors | Win 10 64 bit | Acer Predator x34 @ 100Hz
  • ApplecorpApplecorp Posts: 741
    3Jane
    This whole USB thing with the Rift/Touch is a bit of a mess really, they need to sort it out.

The Rift and Touch are great but sometimes I think maybe I should have pressed that buy button on the Vive store back in April.
    Trinity
    I have a Gigabye Z97X Gaming 3 mainboard.

I've spent hours using touch in games like rec room and superhot, the unspoken without any issues (between 6-8 hours) for a few nights when I first got touch controllers.. I've just started to play dead and buried a lot, and that's when I really noticed it. It gets really bad, I'm sure I would have noticed it before...

Project 2501
    edited December 2016
    I noticed this yesterday night playing "RAW DATA" I had to remove the battery and put it back in and problem solved, but is a software issue that have to fixed in the upcoming update. The MOBO is z170-pro and innatek PCI-E 4 Ports card.
    i7 6700K @ 4.2 GHz | Corsair 16GB DDR4 PC2300 | GTX 1080 Ti | Asus z170-Pro | Corsair RGB Strafe Keyboard | Logitech G27 | Oculus CV1 + Touch + 4 Sensors | Win 10 64 bit | Acer Predator x34 @ 100Hz
  • HiThere_HiThere_ Posts: 1,297
    3Jane
    For me Dead and Buried in 2vs2 mode is typically the game where the 360° opposite corner setup showed it's limits : That game in that game mode requires a dual front facing camera setup (with or without a third camera).

But if you're smart you can switch between front facing cameras and 360° setups without having to move the cameras, or having to buy a third one.

Also the Inateck USB3 hub's energy saving mode just loves to activate in the middle of an active VR session, so I wouldn't be surprised if the Touch controller is being powered down in the middle of a VR session, and that removing and putting back the battery just sends a signal to the Inatck USB3 hub to power back up the Touch controller support : I solved that by switching to an older USB hub driver (probably one that has a lesser aggressive energy saving mode).

Trinity
    I just got my 3rd sensor this morning and set it up... The tracking issue persists, and it's worse with the right controller. Before tracking degrades, I also get a little "jump" when turning around... perhaps when the right rear sensor takes over or? I don't know what's going on..hopefully these issues can be resolved though.  

Going to try changing around the USB ports. 

It might be a coincidence but I noticed a slight improvement after putting 3rd sensor into front panel USB3 vs usb 2 on the board. 

Will check power management and all that too.
    Hiro Protagonist
    Try changing the batteries to new ones, even if Home says they still have charge. It worked for me last night (and it's the only thing that has worked). Gonna play some more tonight and see if the problem rears its ugly head again.
    3Jane
    whoa182 said:
    I just got my 3rd sensor this morning and set it up... The tracking issue persists, and it's worse with the right controller. Before tracking degrades, I also get a little "jump" when turning around... perhaps when the right rear sensor takes over or? I don't know what's going on..hopefully these issues can be resolved though.  

I get that jump too, always at the same point, it doesn't make sense cause it's certainly not outside the range of the sensor.
  • elbofforelboffor Posts: 2,575 Valuable Player
    Out of interest  (possibly and most likely not the case but here goes) who here has tracking issues and overly loud clicky touches?
    This is my forum signature.
    There are many others like it, but this is mine.
    3Jane
    edited December 2016
    My Touches aren't loud or clicky, but one odd thing I have noticed is the vast majority of people appear to have tracking issues mainly with the right Touch controller. Hmm.
    Trinity
    My right controller's trigger is loud too... the rubber dampener seems to have moved just a few days after I got touch. I hope quality control is improved :/ 
    3Jane
    edited December 2016
    Actually, just tested my trigger buttons and the right one is indeed very clicky sounding, like there is nothing cushioning it, the left is fine and has a more dull, dampened sound to it.

FFS Oculus?!

I see a product recall coming due to defective right controllers.
    3Jane
    Has Oculus been contacted about this?
    Hiro Protagonist
    Myrskalle said:
    Try changing the batteries to new ones, even if Home says they still have charge. It worked for me last night (and it's the only thing that has worked). Gonna play some more tonight and see if the problem rears its ugly head again.
    An update: played for about two hours today and have not experienced any issues with the right controller. Help me test this people: if you are experiencing the issue where the right controller starts to drift, change the batteries in both controllers to new ones, even if Home says they current batteries still have charge.
    3Jane
    Already tried that yesterday, made no difference.
    It wouldn't surprise me if the 2 are related. A piece of rubber flying around inside the controller could cause all kinds of havoc
    Project 2501
    Same here, right controller is louder... :s
    3Jane
    edited December 2016
    Wow, how common is this?!

Can we confirm that it's not meant to be louder?  lol
    Well mine isnt loud and mine works perfectly.

You may need to watch this video to fully appreciate the connection. But there could well be a connection.

Trinity
    How important is it that the sensors are all at one height? I've rearranged sensors today as best as I could and tracking seems to have improved now when I turn around. It's not perfect, but there is only a very tiny jump when turning around compared to my previous sensor placement.

The sensors will either be wall mounted or put on the ceiling tomorrow.. so we'll see how that goes. 
    All three of mine are at varying heights. And as stated before, mine pwndizzles.