cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Rift loses randomly HDMI connection

schrumpelrat
Honored Guest
first of english is not my native language and i'm not great with it, so please excuse bad grammar etc.

i have a problem with my rift. since it came to me i have trouble to play for more than a couple minutes or not even seconds before it loses the hdmi connection.
i tried several steps to fix this issue:

connect hdmi direct to the gpu port
connect hdmi through a front connection in my card reader
connect through a dvi to hdmi connector, a passive displayport to hdmi connector and an active displayport to hdmi connector

i also tried to refit the cable in the rift. i connected the rift to the usb 3 ports of my motherboard and on the port of my add on card. i also tried one usb 3 on the mb and one on the add on card and switch them vice versa.
i disabled the energy savings options on all usb ports, the rift sensor and the gpu.
i also tried different usb and gpu drivers (older ones as well as the current ones)

my specs:
intel i7 4790k
msi gd65 z87 gaming
palit gamerock 1080 (had the same issues on my palit 980ti, but my 1080 came short after my rift and i was thinking the 980ti had a incompatible hdmi port)
32gb ddr3 2133mhz
windows 10 pro 64bit
fresco logic fl1100 usb 3 pcie card

current installed gpu driver is 368.51, for usb 3 it is 10.0.10586.212 for the fresco card and the default windows driver for the intel usb 3 on the motherboard.

i also restart my pc after every fix attempt just to be sure everything is in the right place. 

i hope someone can help me to get in vr already ;_;

i added also the recommended logs. 
197 REPLIES 197

Fiege
Expert Protege

shim2 said:

Rift does go through QC before leaving the factory, but defects can always happen with any product.

While that is true, it does seem that the Rift has a higher than "normal" failure rate...

Mine disconnected the first time I used it, so 100% DOA.

AkAseo said:

Now over two weeks since i got my replacment rift, and the issue has not returned, not a single disconnect or tracking loss. Can't believe I spent weeks trying to configure USB, drivers etc refusing to accept my rift was just broken. QC does seem to be a problem and this issue in itself I have seen reported over and over. My advice to anyone with this problem, exchange it and hope for a good one you won't regret it, I just wish there weren't so many forum posters running around telling everyone that it's anything but the HMD thats broken, masking this problem. My advice, if it doesn't seem right, then it's not right, get it exchanged. I can now game perfectly, remove the headset sit it down, put it back on, adjust it etc without it dropping out, in other words, it works and I havent had to tinker with my pc at all.

I've been there as well. I tried so many things and even spent money on counter measures, like upgrading to Win10 Pro to try the custom energy saving policy (I still think it's useful since I never experienced any sensor issues)

Finally there was no more dodging the replacement for me. Replacement was quick, support was fast and polite and most important of all: not a single issue since!

I hope the touch controllers arriving tomorrow are OK, fingers crossed.

Thmoas
Rising Star
Hi all, I would like to follow up on this. Last week I received my Touch on launch day and after 2 frustrating days suddenly got a message that my (third) replacement Rift + Extra sensor would be at my doorstep on Friday!

Instead of getting wasted at the club after work I was eager to try it all out and guess what ... everything works perfect! I didn't have even ONE disconnect. I was always afraid it could be my older motherboard but apparently it is not. What I also noticed is that the God Rays are reduced. Instead of "rays" they are now more like a glow. Still very visible but since it's more of a glow they are not moving around as much when looking around.

The 3 sensor setup was no problem even with xbox controller and wireless keyboard and mouse installed. I even have the unsupported Asmedia controller enabled to attach my steering wheel and joystick. It all works fine. So just for people arriving here after a search: If you have the problem that your Rift disconnects when touching it (especialy the left side) or slightly flexing it (it flexes when taking it off with one hand) and you tried most other things to try, then your Rift probably has a hardware defect. My first Rift got this after about a month. My second Rift was DOA and had it after the first minute (this made me really afraid that it was my pc ... what's the chance of getting 2 Rifts with exactly the same problem ... ).

My setup: Asus Z77 LE mobo. Inateck card. Win10 x64, 980TI.

I have my Rift inserted in USB2, 2 sensors in inateck (correctly seen as USB3) and back sensor in Intel USB3 (but gets recognised as USB2 because of the provided extention). It works flawless, tracking is flawless. Using latest Inateck 3.6.9a (or something) driver. I killed the Fresco process in task manager and since then also have no more occasional blue screens.

There is one thing different with all other Rifts and I don't dare switching it around as a test afraid of having the same problem again: I bought a "cable matters" Displayport to HDMI 4K adapter and Rift is not connected to HDMI but to Displayport. I had ordered it but it arrived too late to try with the broken Rift.

TLDR; If you are having HDMI disconnects (notification in tray reads "we can't find your headset, please connect your headset" and this happens when taking on/off the Rift or whenever touching it somewhere on the left side or slightly flexing it (so it's not random, you can trigger it most of the time) then it's probably hardware and you should return. To be 100% sure try with a friend with a different PC set up that is up to running Rift. It should have the same problem over there from the start. Get a replacement. If it's still broken, get another one. I'm on my third Rift and now have no more issues.

letmethetheligh
Explorer
Hi all,

i face the exact same problem.

Oculus Rift suffers from repeating HDMI disconnects when device is "hot" (turned on for around 10 minutes) if soft pressure is applied on the left side, the device is adjusted or bigger movements are made (touch).

You can check the video here: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TK5_dva5VLY

Despite the fact that this is always reproducable and it therefore looks 100% as a hardware fault i did the following things:

- Switched around to all other USB Ports.
- Made a clean graphic driver deinstall and reinstall.
- Used DNACowboys method of cleaning usb stuff in device manager.
- Disabled all USB energy saver options.
- Deplugged all other USB devices.
- I have a fully supported Asus mainboard. All checkmarks in Oculus Software are green.
- Replugged HDMI cable on both GPU and Rift. All pins on hdmi cable look good.

This thing is going back to the vendor. This has to be a systematic hardware error.

Greets

Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi all,

i face the exact same problem.

Oculus Rift suffers from repeating HDMI disconnects when device is "hot" (turned on for around 10 minutes) if soft pressure is applied on the left side, the device is adjusted or bigger movements are made (touch).

You can check the video here: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TK5_dva5VLY

Despite the fact that this is always reproducable and it therefore looks 100% as a hardware fault i did the following things:

- Switched around to all other USB Ports.
- Made a clean graphic driver deinstall and reinstall.
- Used DNACowboys method of cleaning usb stuff in device manager.
- Disabled all USB energy saver options.
- Deplugged all other USB devices.
- I have a fully supported Asus mainboard. All checkmarks in Oculus Software are green.
- Replugged HDMI cable on both GPU and Rift. All pins on hdmi cable look good.

This thing is going back to the vendor. This has to be a systematic hardware error.

Greets

Mine started doing this after 2 months. I enabled the do not disturb feature and the screen goes black for a second or two and then goes right back to game without further drop outs. However, the PC screen still shows the headset in error. I think this is a headset internal error for sure.

letmethetheligh
Explorer
Hi all,

just for info. Contacted merchant today, is returning money with no problems. Can buy a new - hopefully fully working - Oculus Rift today. Will report back after receiving new unit.

Edit: New unit is working now without problems for about 3 hrs -> get your faulty headsets replaced.

Greets

shimster
Honored Guest
I have a brand new Rift and I am having this problem. For the most part it only does this when I'm adjusting the position on my face. When I let friends use it, the disconnect happened more often when people were wearing glasses and the glasses pressed against the sides inside the rift. I'm relieved that it isn't just happening to me but I was hoping to read about more ways to prevent it from happening. I'll try the duct tape and post my results.

letmethetheligh
Explorer
Shimster duct tape will not work. I tried this too. There is nothing you can do to prevent this beside not moving and not touching the headset. This is a faulty HDMI connector inside the unit. Get your unit exchanged asap.

elboffor
Consultant
to ensure i don't pull anything and cause damage i did thisar4wluck3874.jpg

3ku9py6yin2w.jpg
This is my forum signature.
There are many others like it, but this is mine.

Anonymous
Not applicable
You may get HDMI signal loss error messages in cases where the sensors are losing power. Of course, the cable-to-HMD issues should be diagnosed and confirmed if suspected but, the messages could be sensor-related also but, not necessarily indicated in Oculus Home or Windows.

If cable movement causes the connection-error, then HMD replacement should be the course of action; if it's not the cable connection, then check your USB-hub Power Management settings and the Rift-Sensor specific ones in Device manager should be checked and confirmed with Power-Saving disabled.

I was getting the HDMI-disconnect error and Windows automatically enables Power-Saving for the add-in PCIe USB card I use for the Rift but, that wasn't the cause; the specific devices (Rift-Sensors) Power-Saving being disabled did solve it for me.

TC1999
Adventurer
Elboffer that's a great tip I did the same to mine after having to have my unit replaced due to HDMI issues. 

Amazing oculus didn't fit some kind of stopper to the cable that can be removed to protect undue force being pressured on the headset connector. 

Rule is if your headset disconnects when you apply pressure to the side of the unit where the connector is or to the arm next to it then you have a faulty unit. 

I did all the usb fixes then DNA suggested and some of my own to stop my hdmi disconnects and it didnt stop. I started to look more closely at the hmd and finally was able to recreate the disconnect holding it in both hands and gently either twisting it or press down on the left hand arm, this triggered the disconnects.   

Support very quickly issued a replacement unit. 

To test oculus plug and play approach when the new unit arrived I did a complete reinstall of windows (10 pro) and made no changes to the usb settings. 

With windows fully updated latest nvidia drivers (gtx 1080) and Fresco drivers, I installed oculus with touch. 

So far so good and all working fine. I know doing the power management changes have helped others but for me it all works now as it should without any changes being done and leaving the power settings enabled.  

My original unit worked like this for about two months before I started to get hmdi issues.  

My setup is the sensors on the Inateck card and the hmd on the onboard intel usb.