New to the forums? Click here to read the "How To" Guide.

Developer? Click here to go to the Developer Forums.

Right Controller losing tracking

2»

Comments

• ApplecorpApplecorp Posts: 741
    3Jane
    edited December 2016
    This is getting ridiculous now, just been playing The Climb and after about 20 minutes the Touch controllers started going mental, virtual hands flying around and rubber banding all over the place making the game utterly unplayable. Quit the game and they're still doing it in Home.

What the actual f**k is going on Oculus?
  • whoa182whoa182 Posts: 381
    Trinity
    edited December 2016
    Still having similar problems... My controller was spinning last night in the middle of dead and buried... Game was almost unplayable. Also turning around to the one sensor at the back has a small issue with tracking.. the hand becoming a little floaty or drifts back and forth slightly when stopping after moving hand. I'll make a video if I have to to show what I'm talking about.
    CPU: i5-4690K 4.50 GHZ RAM: 8.00 GB Corsair Vengence GFX: Nvidia GTX 970 HDD: 2TB MONITOR: Samsung U28D590 27" 4K Res
    3Jane
    I'm not being petulant but this just isn't the experience I wished to invest in, the Touch controllers/sensors are more trouble than they're worth at the moment and really make me wish I'd got a Vive when I had the chance.
  • elbofforelboffor Posts: 2,572 Valuable Player
    edited December 2016
    Well my tracking is currently good even though the touches have started to be noisy, i will keep an eye on the tracking and if anything goes fruity, I'll be sure to add it here.

@cybereality have oculus managed to replicate a correlation between the rubber stopper disintegration and tracking issues in the oculus lab?

I Have an image of the steam game "the lab" in my head, but with everyone walking round with oculus t-shirts and...Palmer realising his touch controllers feel like they have had several years use already. 
    This is my forum signature.
    There are many others like it, but this is mine.
  • EliteSPAEliteSPA Posts: 1,560
    Project 2501
    edited December 2016
    Tracking problems with right controller here too, we waited almost a year for touch, havent you guys have enough time to fix all this issues? Oh my gosh. Also the right controller start to be louder then the left
    one. This is ridiculous....

A lot of people have made a huge investment for VR and are very frustated, my self included. Just giving you a tip Oculus team, you better fix all this issues or at least tell us what is going around cause otherwise Im sure this will be the end of Oculus, people need to trust the company by facts and not promises...

i7 6700K @ 4.2 GHz | Corsair 16GB DDR4 PC2300 | GTX 1080 Ti | Asus z170-Pro | Corsair RGB Strafe Keyboard | Logitech G27 | Oculus CV1 + Touch + 4 Sensors | Win 10 64 bit | Acer Predator x34 @ 100Hz
  • YoLolo69YoLolo69 Posts: 1,114
    Wintermute
    It happened to me with left controller in Medium last night, but shaking immediately my hand stopped the weird movement and fixed the problem for the rest of my sessions. I'm using 2 sensors front-facing and each one can see all my playing area, no dead zone, no zone where only one sensor catch me, always both see me. I was facing sensors straight and seated. Only thing which can have happened is occlusion of one touch by the other hand, hiding the left faulty one from the 2 sensors. As I said, it was quick and immediately fixed.

“Dreams feel real while we are in them, it's only when we wake up that we realize something was strange.” - Dom Cobb

"Be careful, if you are killed in real life you die in VR too." - TD_4242

I7 3770K OC 4.6GHz, GTX1080 OC 10%, 16GB DDR3 2448  OC, Oculus Rift CV1

YoLolo69 said:
    It happened to me with left controller in Medium last night, but shaking immediately my hand stopped the weird movement and fixed the problem for the rest of my sessions.
    So what you are saying is, physical movement stopped the tracking issues?

This is sounding more and more like my tinfoil hat theory is turning out to be correct!

@YoLolo69 can you confirm whether or not your left corner trolleys trigger clicks when fully depressed and the dampening to stop it hitting no longer exists?
    3Jane
    Ok this is very interesting. I thought I'd try each of my two sensors individually to see if either caused a problem. First I unplugged the one that came with the Touch controllers, everything worked fine, both Touch controllers solid and working as they should.

Unplugged my original sensor and put the other one back in, completely screwed, my eye position in home is almost at floor level, the guardian wall is behind me and the Touch controller pointer is facing the wrong direction, and when I move my head the whole room moves with me.

Got an error message in Virtual Home that said:

"Something went wrong, we're working to get it fixed as soon as we can. Referenced device missing position: headset".

So, one has to assume that the newer sensor has a definite problem.
    You know, I recall my initial sensor having a firmware update or two. Ive yet to see either of my new sensors have them. Maybe the latest ones already have the patch applied.

It is annoying that we have yet to have any statements from oculus about these issues 
    3Jane
    edited December 2016
    I noticed a lot of recurring errors in my logs too. No idea how common or serious/trivial they are but "camera possibly in a bad state" doesn't sound good to me.

Image did not pass the sanity test!  Throwing it away (camera possibly in a bad state)

Windows 10 system doesn't appear to have RiftDisplay.inf installed. Cannot use DXGI 2 path successfully.

[DisplayManager] Failed to set power mode on NVidia adapter. -175

Wireless sync timed out.

WaitForFrame wait timeout

Failed to get string descriptor from hub.  Error: 31

Cannot serialize non-finite value

3Jane
    edited December 2016
    Right, put my sensors back to the recommended front facing setup (wall mounted) and although over the recommended 6 feet apart (somewhere around 7-8 feet) Everything works absolutely fine, rock solid Touch controller positioning too, no floating hands or anything.

So yeah, it just didn't like my 360 experimental setup (sensors about 12-13 feet apart). I mean it was fairly payable to some degree but I hated the glitchiness of it.

Definitely requires a third sensor in a large room. I can't do two sensors in my room as the corners are just too far apart. Don't want to ceiling mount either, looks horrible.

Third sensor it is then but even then that may introduce new problems.

Still not happy with the loud clicky Touch trigger though.
  • YoLolo69YoLolo69 Posts: 1,114
    Wintermute
    edited December 2016
    elboffor said:
    YoLolo69 said:
    It happened to me with left controller in Medium last night, but shaking immediately my hand stopped the weird movement and fixed the problem for the rest of my sessions.
    So what you are saying is, physical movement stopped the tracking issues?

This is sounding more and more like my tinfoil hat theory is turning out to be correct!

@YoLolo69 can you confirm whether or not your left corner trolleys trigger clicks when fully depressed and the dampening to stop it hitting no longer exists?
    Nope no, sorry this the misunderstanding : I don't have any problem with my buttons (dampening etc.), and the way I fixed the hand losing tracking is by moving it, like if you had glue on your hand and shake to make it fall. The goal was to "bring attention" of sensors, not to shake it to fix some wired problem inside I don't have (yet?)....Mmmm I'm not clear (bad english) : I mean I moved my hand up and away quickly and get it back and Sensor catched it again so it was fixed. More a camera problem which lost it, nothing inside the Touch. I hope this is clear.

“Dreams feel real while we are in them, it's only when we wake up that we realize something was strange.” - Dom Cobb

"Be careful, if you are killed in real life you die in VR too." - TD_4242

I7 3770K OC 4.6GHz, GTX1080 OC 10%, 16GB DDR3 2448  OC, Oculus Rift CV1

Wall Mount them dude. Can be done daily cheaply and not too obtrusive (I pin my cables to the coving with blu tac of all things)

3Jane
    edited December 2016
    I do have them wall mounted, says in my post above.   :p

I said that to get the sensors closer together (for 360 experimental) I'd have to mount them on the ceiling and I don't want to do that.
    YoLolo69 said:
    Nope no, sorry this the misunderstanding : I don't have any problem with my buttons (dampening etc.), and the way I fixed the hand losing tracking is by moving it, like if you had glue on your hand and shake to make it fall. The goal was to "bring attention" of sensors, not to shake it to fix some wired problem inside I don't have (yet?)....Mmmm I'm not clear (bad english) : I mean I moved my hand up and away quickly and get it back and Sensor cached it again so it was fixed. More a camera problem which lost it, nothing inside the Touch. I hope this is clear.
    That's good news. I really do t want my tinfoil hat theory to be correct. Sounds like a sensor sleep isses to me, have you checked you power settings in device manager since your last reboot? They seem to have a habit of changing back. Also it may have been a one off glitch  (I've had them too from time to time, had them on my mates vive also)
    Applecorp said:
    I do have them wall mounted, says in my post above.   :p

I said that to get the sensors closer together (for 360 experimental) I'd have to mount them on the ceiling and I don't want to do that.
    Doh
    <\quietlyLeavesTheRoom>
  • kevink808kevink808 Posts: 803
    3Jane
    Are you guys with these problems only using 2 cams? I'm using 3 cams in a square space.  Wall-mounted 6 ft high.  Front left corner, front right corner, rear left corner.  10 ft apart between cam 1 and cam 2.  10 ft apart from cam 1 and cam 3.  14 ft apart from cam 2 and cam 3.  I have full tracking from ceiling to floor (9 feet vertical).  I'm wondering if these tracking issues are defective products or extremely finicky setup requirements?  My setup is outside of their "recommended" configurations, yet it seems to work good.
    Rift-S, Quest 128GB, GO 64GB.
    Trinity
    edited December 2016
    I had right controller issues with 2 cameras (after 30 - 60 minutes or so), and 3 cameras. With 3 cameras I have an added problem of jumping when turning around, as if the jump is caused by handing off to the rear sensor.. 

I understand this is 1st generation, we're early adopters, and there's gonna be some hiccups.. but geez.  :p The average person isn't gonna want to be dealing with micro-adjusting everything and troubleshooting like this to achieve good tracking.
    CPU: i5-4690K 4.50 GHZ RAM: 8.00 GB Corsair Vengence GFX: Nvidia GTX 970 HDD: 2TB MONITOR: Samsung U28D590 27" 4K Res
    3Jane
    edited December 2016
    Yeah I've only got two sensors, my 360 diagonal setup (12 feet apart) is really sketchy as far as hand tracking goes so for the time being I've put it back to wall mounted front facing (7 feet apart) and works perfectly, obviously not for room scale though. 

I'm going to buy a third sensor asap.
  • Fredd32Fredd32 Posts: 251
    Nexus 6
    edited December 2016
    I have also noticed over the course of a week or so my guardian bounds shift about a foot to the right. Front facing setup 6ft high 11ft apart. I also get the right touch tracking issues on occasion but can normally fix by restarting oculus services.
  • kevink808kevink808 Posts: 803
    3Jane
    I really think they need to stop recommending 2 cams for experimental (diagonal) roomscale setups.  Clearly it doesn't work nearly as good as it should for most people and officially endorsing this risks disappointing a lot of people on the Rift because of false advertising.  They should recommend 3 cams for roomscale and 2 cams for front-facing 180 degree experiences.  From there, they need to really nail down their setup tolerances, including the types of spaces people are working with.  I've seen some really odd spaces people have tried to use, like L-shapes, long narrow rooms, closets, etc.  Far from ideal.
    Rift-S, Quest 128GB, GO 64GB.
    Trinity
    Fredd32 said:
    I have also noticed over the course of a week or so my guardian bounds shift about a foot to the right. Front facing setup 6ft high 11ft apart. I also get the right touch tracking issues on occasion but can normally fix by restarting oculus services.
    taking out the battery and putting it back in usually solves it for a while
    3Jane
    kevink808 said:
    I really think they need to stop recommending 2 cams for experimental (diagonal) roomscale setups.  Clearly it doesn't work nearly as good as it should for most people and officially endorsing this risks disappointing a lot of people on the Rift because of false advertising. 
    In my experience I absolutely agree with this. 2 sensors diagonally just doesn't cut it. I can't tolerate it anyway.
  • SilentRage47SilentRage47 Posts: 2
    NerveGear
    2 sensors in front and I have problems with the right controller too. This never happened too often, but somehow Eleven Table Tennis stress the right controller too much and it just goes crazy in about 20 minutes of playing. The fact that this is solvable just my restarting Oculus Home makes my think this is a just a software issue, I hope so. I'll do more test when the third sensor arrive next week.
  • FlukeFluke Posts: 176
    Art3mis
    edited December 2016
    2 sensors in front and I have problems with the right controller too. This never happened too often, but somehow Eleven Table Tennis stress the right controller too much and it just goes crazy in about 20 minutes of playing. The fact that this is solvable just my restarting Oculus Home makes my think this is a just a software issue, I hope so. I'll do more test when the third sensor arrive next week.
    I've just popped on here to see what the current state of all this is, as that is my exact experience.

Since getting Touch, I've had the occasional problems with the right controller drifting (and it's always the right one), but with Eleven Table Tennis I will manage about 15 minutes before drift kicks in, and it seems to be doing so in that game without fail.
    In-VR Gaming Convention: http://queue.vip/8nNttrc
  • BEARDEDFIGNUTZBEARDEDFIGNUTZ Posts: 51
    Hiro Protagonist
    whoa182 said:
    My right controller's trigger is loud too... the rubber dampener seems to have moved just a few days after I got touch. I hope quality control is improved :/ 
    I am having the same issue with the right controller being much louder than the left as if the dampener isn't in place. As well as all of the rest of the issues with tracking such as the controller drifting and or shifting position. I have a 3 sensor setup and in my experience it definitely seems as though the issues occur when both the two main sensors can no longer track both controllers and tracking transfers from the two main sensors to one main sensor and the rear 3rd sensor. I feel pretty safe assuming it is a software issue that will be resolved, though.