cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Onwarrd proves locomotion is okay!

Arock387
Heroic Explorer
So there is a military sim where you use the analog on the touch to move.   No teleportation necessary.  And yah you feel a little weird at first but it goes away rather quickly especially when bullets start flying and your mind begins worrying about other things.  Other devs need to check this game out and learn a bit from it so we can finally move away form the teleportation stuff. 
50 REPLIES 50

Arock387
Heroic Explorer
Its an odd feeling at first but it subsides easily.  For the first while what I would do is turn my head up and peak through the nose gap for orientation checks and after a while the only reason why I would peak is because all of a sudden tracking sucked and it was because somehow I turned around haha.. cant wait for that third sensor

harryinthesoup
Protege
Hate Teleports unless its a teleport to a remote location. I am reaching the point where I am not going buy VR games that do not have a "natural locomotion" option. I also cannot stand the FP/VR  games where you move as if on a sledge/slide/wheels, I like the simularted " natural bounce" as you walk or have to step/jump over obstructions

falken76
Expert Consultant
It makes me sick.  If I move forward and turn my head to look down an alley while still moving forward it makes me feel sick.  I feel like I'm swaying forward and could fall on my face in this game.  I've tried running in place while I move and that just makes it worse for me.  I might get used to it if I put the time into it, but I don't want to because I hate feeling sick.  That sickness stays with me for several hours too.  I guess there's no planetside sized battles with 500 vs 500 people, it's more like 2 v 2.  I'll probably try to get used to it though, it was only $25 and I refuse to return games unless I actually don't like the content.  I really like the content and idea behind it so I support the dev even if his game makes me sick because I can't handle the locomotion.

DarkTenka
Trustee

falken76 said:

It makes me sick.  If I move forward and turn my head to look down an alley while still moving forward it makes me feel sick.  I feel like I'm swaying forward and could fall on my face in this game.  I've tried running in place while I move and that just makes it worse for me.  I might get used to it if I put the time into it, but I don't want to because I hate feeling sick.  That sickness stays with me for several hours too.  I guess there's no planetside sized battles with 500 vs 500 people, it's more like 2 v 2.  I'll probably try to get used to it though, it was only $25 and I refuse to return games unless I actually don't like the content.  I really like the content and idea behind it so I support the dev even if his game makes me sick because I can't handle the locomotion.

Did you try closing your eyes and taking deep breathes? Do it as soon as you feel any slight sickness - every single time. Thats what worked for me when I first started in VR. Granted Onward is an online game that you can't pause while doing this .. u just have to hope no one shoots you, but it's better to overcome VR sickness as quick as possible.

Greyhawk101
Protege
My big let down when I got my Rift earlier in the week was the lack of free roaming games. The teleport does the exact opposite of what the rift is supposed to do - takes you out of the immersion using an immersion breaking mechanic - Fallout 4 VR will be using teleport as well (assuming it eventually comes out on Rift). Makes the game completely pointless as Fallout 4 is about exploration.

Luciferous
Consultant
I think the implementation is key. I also suffered sickness in games using the xbox controller thumbstick but playing doom bfg with the touch integration has been pretty good so far. A few times I have got a little hot and clammy but overall I am amazed how long I can play it for. I had given up hope after playing Ethan carter but now agree locomotion is definitely viable as doom bfg is incredible.

HiThere_
Superstar
Yes, I find the lack of high end free roaming gaming games disappointing too...

But I'd like to think traditional movement (in both game mechanics and gameplay design) will take off after the HTC Vive goes wireless, and that Oculus VR will probably follow suit (in both hardware and software) so the Rift doesn't get left behind.

Because I believe natural body rotation (on a swivel chair or standing up) provides the best combination of the most immersion and least VR motion sickness.

So 2016 was the year when the Rift moved from the 2D gamepad to 6D hand controllers, and hopefully 2017 will be the year it moves from teleportation to free roaming.

Anonymous
Not applicable

maxpare79 said:

People get sick because they don't want to work on it...I used to get sick on my DK2, did short sessions here and there, and now, nothing, absolutely nothing makes me sick. If people avoid free locomotion because they think they wil get sick, well they will get sick for the rest of their lives...People have to get use to it. 

So all the people that get car sick, plane sick, sea sick need to just get used to it? While I do understand that some people can adapt to simulation sickness, I think there are a lot of people that will never adapt and will always get sick - it's just the way they are. 

danknugz
Superstar
i think its more the case that people are concerned that devs will shy away from making games that are based around artificial movement, but are barking up the wrong tree at the people who are getting sick
A: Because it messes up the order in which people normally read text. Q: Why is top-posting such a bad thing? A: Top-posting. Q: What is the most annoying thing on forums?

Mr_Creepy
Rising Star
You can not just expect people to try to get through it, I personally have no interest in feeling sick just to avoid teleportation. It's just not worth that much to me. I however support adding options for both movement methods.