cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Onwarrd proves locomotion is okay!

Arock387
Heroic Explorer
So there is a military sim where you use the analog on the touch to move.   No teleportation necessary.  And yah you feel a little weird at first but it goes away rather quickly especially when bullets start flying and your mind begins worrying about other things.  Other devs need to check this game out and learn a bit from it so we can finally move away form the teleportation stuff. 
50 REPLIES 50

Anonymous
Not applicable

maxpare79 said:

People get sick because they don't want to work on it...I used to get sick on my DK2, did short sessions here and there, and now, nothing, absolutely nothing makes me sick. If people avoid free locomotion because they think they wil get sick, well they will get sick for the rest of their lives...People have to get use to it. 

This ^^^

People won't get their VR legs if developers continue to wrap players in cotton wool. This is precisely why my game is going to have stick locomotion and smooth turning as the default controls. I'm going to have comfort turning available as an option for people that may struggle with smooth turning but that's it. I'm not going to have a teleportation mechanic anywhere near the game.

Anonymous
Not applicable
I think it's true what everybody says, that you can accustom to it. My case is not severe but I can't ride amusement rides for example, I couldn't play Dreadhals longer than 5min same with Ethan Carter but I tried and every time I felt a bit dizzy or started sweating I would take the rift off (before you get sick), do something in real, have a tea etc. and after 15min back to rift, taking baby steps.

I can play Onward now no problem, snap rotation is great and I can even run in a straight line and look left and right (something that if I did right when I got rift would immediately make me fill a bucket with vomit). Games with cockpits have even less impact, anyone hoping upcoming Mechwarrior 5 will support VR?

flexy123
Superstar
Biggest offenders for me: SDK "World Demo" (because this was the first experience which allowed me to move freely with controllers), makes me SICK just thinking about the world demo now, Doom 3 BFG and amazingly also Dreadhalls. Which is weird because I had Dreadhalls also on snap turn. So there must be something to it which adds to VR sickness. Maybe the amount of turns you need to make in a short time to get around.

VR (Motion) sickness is *real*, and game/VR devs know it and it's a real concern. So saying "get over it" is silly.

By the way no problem with roller coasters, sims, whatever....it's really the turns, they're just awful

elboffor
Consultant
People are scared of bad press. Pussies!
This is my forum signature.
There are many others like it, but this is mine.

OpticKing
Expert Trustee

flexy123 said:

Biggest offenders for me: SDK "World Demo" (because this was the first experience which allowed me to move freely with controllers), makes me SICK just thinking about the world demo now, Doom 3 BFG and amazingly also Dreadhalls. Which is weird because I had Dreadhalls also on snap turn. So there must be something to it which adds to VR sickness. Maybe the amount of turns you need to make in a short time to get around.

VR (Motion) sickness is *real*, and game/VR devs know it and it's a real concern. So saying "get over it" is silly.

By the way no problem with roller coasters, sims, whatever....it's really the turns, they're just awful

Out of curiosity, did you play theses standing and turning your actual body to turn? If not, I say give at least dreadhalls/doom3 another try while doing this. (if it's a pain to stand and turn, a desk swivel chair works great)

Anonymous
Not applicable
Does it work with Doom 3 BFG from steam? It's on sale now, I would really love to play a real game in VR.

elboffor said:

Think the bad press worked OK for Onward, better than being with the same bucket as rest of demos.

elboffor
Consultant
Dude, samsons mod let's you use smooth snap or actual turn.
Also I'm gonna share my custom exe tomorrow so you'LL be able to launch it from oculus home.

I would have uploaded it earlier but the Mrs is demanding attention 😞
This is my forum signature.
There are many others like it, but this is mine.

falken76
Expert Consultant

elboffor said:

Bad press would kill sales.  It would suck to waste all your time in development if only a small fraction of people could handle your game, the possible waste of time and resources is why everyone goes with Teleport.  I don't really like Teleport at all, but Free motion makes me seriously sick.  I wouldn't willingly buy a game that makes me sick and just hope to get used to it.  How many other people are like that?  What percentage of the user base is it?  Would you be willing to bank your money on that guess?

harryinthesoup
Protege
Its more than just games, if I want to walk through a beautiful virtual landscape I dont want to have to teleport around it, I'll want it to be as "real" as possible. IMHO have teleports by all means but have natural locomotion also as an option.

DarkTenka
Trustee

Does it work with Doom 3 BFG from steam? It's on sale now, I would really love to play a real game in VR.

Yes it does. I bought that version to get it working as well and it works perfectly.