cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Height Changes, Guardian Moving, and other tracking issues (3 sensor setup) Possibly faulty sensor.

coderzero
Explorer
So, I've been going back and forth since I received my third sensor. My original problem was find the right setup to reduce the amount of occlusion I was getting. Then... the troubles started.

Initially I thought it may have been an issue with my sensor configuration since it start as minimal height changes and tracking weirdness.... as time has progressed the tracking.

As of this writing while the troublesome sensor is plugged in has gotten much worse - to the point where it's currently unplugged as having this sensor plugged in would cause severe disorientation.  Height changes and world orientation changes every time you turn your head. 

It has been odd to watch this progression and I have concluded that it must be the sensor is faulty, no amount of usb cards, usb port configuration, sensor configuration etc... resolve this issue. It took a while to get to this point but I'm 99% sure the issue is caused by a bad sensor. Currently, I have 4 distinct, compatible, usb controllers. The two working sensors can be plugged into any of these without any issues. When I try the default 2 sensor config with any USB the tracking troubles begin.

Funny thing is the sensor that seems the sensor that seems to have gone bad is one that came with either the headset or the touch controllers. Does anyone know a definitive way to figure out which of these it came with?

To those out there experiencing height changes, and weird world shifting issues I recommend you do some testing and make sure you aren't in the same boat as me, a bad sensor. 

I've ordered ANOTHER sensor to double check my theory as the wait time for support seems astronomical. Worst case scenario I'll have another extra sensor. 

The cherry on top of all of this is that now the right headphone has stopped producing sound unless its moved up on the slider a certain amount.... Still waiting to hear back on this too 😉 I don't really like the ear in headphones so I'm hoping I can get a replacement right headphone? (@cybereality is this possible?) 
24 REPLIES 24

hoochyuk
Heroic Explorer
Got my sensor today and set up with exact measurements  recommended and I'm suffering with real bad occlusion  my hands left hanging in mid air quite regular also had  problem with bad tracking on 3rd sensor 

Flausn
Expert Protege
i deinstalled innatek drivers problem solved...there is a warning ignoreit. greez

rabbitovsky
Honored Guest
I had similar issues, and I read in another thread that after some checking and rechecking logs from those afflicted, that the culprit was a software glitch causing sensors to erroneously believe they were being physically moved and resetting, which forces another sensor to pick up the burden...needless to say it's causing a lot of drama for a minority of customers.

Hopefully they fix it soon.  In the meantime I have stuck with my 2 sensors; that causes much fewer cases of this problem to pop up.

coderzero
Explorer
So turns out my 2 sensor setup was no good, after having it work without any issues the previous the day I woke up yesterday to the same exact problem with just 2 sensors......

I was able to figure out something very interesting... The height issues, and the guardian moved issue are the same bug. Just depends on the initial orientation of your sensor. Likely, if and of your sensors are mounted upside down you experience the bug as the guardian or world shifting left/right. If you have them all right side up... It's a height adjustment. 

Something definitely related to sensor placement but an issue that will occur eventually with enough use on any setup, I've tried a few setups where it's very difficult to get it to occur while others seem to have it instantly. Quickest way to experience this issue is - start turning 360 while waving your hands near your head... you'll get the initial height adjustment bug from there... it just goes down hill. 

If you play in 2 sensor setup and never turn around, or 3 sensor and don't do 360s then you'll likely never run into this bug or it'll be so rare as to not cause an issue for you. 

Not sure if devs have been able to track it down yet or not, but what I would recommend is start playing raw data  that's the game that always breaks any sensor setup i think i've found.

Mnem0nic
Protege
I get the 360 tracking glitches/jolts even in Home.. I have the sensors the right way up, with two Front sensors(8ft high 5ft apart) and a rear left (11ft back from front sensors) configuration(Play space 2x2m)..I can provoke the tracking issues by simply doing a slow 180 while slowly moving my hands around slow, then stopping for a few seconds then while turning back around 180 I get jolt/flicker/ every single time.. I can even do this while going through the last part of the "Reset Tracking" config.. While scanning I just watch my rear sensor jump up and down hehe.. 

Pretty much ruins any good 360 games for me, but it is bearable to play I guess but still needs fixing asap!

I'm sure it must be a software bug, as I have tried all sorts now.. Its almost like your movements are being passed between sensors,, Although I would say it only happens when the third sensor is being used for 360 gaming..

Fingers crossed for an update OR some sort of response, although I don't expect anything from OC this side of 2016... :neutral:   

BEARDEDFIGNUTZ
Protege
lvw8x9hwvlpu.jpg                                     I am also having issues with tracking such as the controller drifting and or shifting position as well as the image in the rift. I have a 3 sensor setup almost identical to the image above.

In my experience it definitely seems as though the issues occur when both sensors labeled A and B can no longer track both controllers and tracking transfers from sensors A and B to Sensors A and C or B and C. I feel pretty safe assuming it is a software issue that will be resolved, though.
               Also, the trigger on the right touch controller has become much louder than the trigger on the left touch. As if a rubber dampener has come loose.

TickTock
Heroic Explorer

coderzero said:

I was able to figure out something very interesting... The height issues, and the guardian moved issue are the same bug. Just depends on the initial orientation of your sensor. Likely, if and of your sensors are mounted upside down you experience the bug as the guardian or world shifting left/right. If you have them all right side up... It's a height adjustment. 

I can corroborate this observation.  Since moving my sensors to the ceiling (upside-down), I am experiencing the guardian moving (both translation and rotation in XY plane).  I have not noticed any height (Z) errors.
"I'm not crazy about reality, but it's still the only place to get a decent meal."
 -Groucho Marx

metadane
Honored Guest
@coderzero @TickTock Same here. My sensors are upside-down on the ceiling. I have never gotten a height (Z) error but I get very frequent translation/rotation XY shifts. I get the "Timed out waiting for camera" followed by "Sensor moved" warnings for all 3 cameras each time this happens.

Doriath
Protege
My experience has been XY shifts if any sensors are upside down, and Z shifts if they are all right side up.  This happens if I am running either two or three sensors.