cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

2 Computers, nearly identical spec, DK2 stutters on one but not other

deanjdk
Honored Guest
Hi all, long story short, I have recently replaced my DK2 with a CV1. The DK2 ran great on my computer for the last 2 years, it ran fine up until the day i got my CV1: (My CV1 also fines great)

My PC Current spec:
EVGA 980TI ACX 2.0 SC (Driver:376.33)
Asus Z170-A Motherboard
Intel 6700K @4.6Ghz
8GB ddr4 Ram
Antec HCP 1200watt PS
Corsair H90 Cooler
Windows 10
256gb SSD
1 TB Storage HD

I decided to give my DK2 to my friend, His setup is almost identical to mine other than the Motherboard,(His being an Asus Z170-P and mine being an Asus Z170-A)

My friends current spec:
EVGA 980TI ACX 2.0 SC (Driver:376.33)
Asus Z170-P Motherboard
Intel 6700K @4.6Ghz
8GB ddr4 Ram
Corsair 1000watt PS
Corsair H90 Cooler
Windows 10
256gb SSD
2 TB Storage HD

I installed the latest Oculus software and during the part where is looks for the Sensor USB, Headset USB and HDMI it only finds the Sensor USB. The other two just continue to display the rotating circle "searching" symbol. The first time i plugged in the headset USB, it displayed green, when i inserted the HDMI, it appeared to go back to the searching symbol. I have not been able to repeat this even after a fresh install as it just stays on the searching symbol now.

What I have tried so far:

Reseating all the wired connections

Uninstalling and then reinstalling Oculus software (With revo uninstaller pro) including registry etc
Tried every combination of USB ports for both Sensor and Headset(2.0 and 3.0 and the powered one on the DK2 headset itself). Again, only the sensor shows up. If i skip the setup process,the headset and sensor will show up as connected within the Oculus software/settings/devices. The Headset will turn on and will display the Oculus living room scene but every few seconds, seemingly at random, the image will jump wildly for a half a second, then run fine, then do the same again. It doesn't seem like traditional stutter as it seems to be unrelated to where you look. Even while remaining still, it still does the same thing. Same happens with Dreamdeck. It's completely smooth in between stutters. Ive tried wiggling the cable etc but that seems to have no effect. I'm assuming it could be a USB issue of some kind but I'm not sure. All the recommended drivers from the Asus support site for his Z170-P are installed and there is no warning triangles on any devices in the device manager. The sensor also shows up in the device manager (But not the headset, not even sure if it's supposed to).
I've tried removing the storage HD but made no difference. Ive removed everything from all the USB ports other than Mouse/Keyboard and the Sensor and headset.

Does anyone have any idea what might be the problem? Does this sound like a USB issue? or even a .NET issue maybe? Thanks in advance! 🙂 Dean

8 REPLIES 8

OpticKing
Expert Trustee
Shot in the dark; in power settings make sure it's all set to performance instead of power save. In device manager do the same for the applicable usb devices go into properties > power management tab and uncheck the "let pc turn off to save power"

Not sure if it helps or if you've done that as well. Hope you can find a solution, Happy New Years.

deanjdk
Honored Guest
Thanks for your reply Opticking, ill try changing the power setting to high performance. I'm nearly sure "let PC turn off to save power" was already unchecked but I'll double check just to be sure next time I'm at his PC. In the meantime, if anyone else reading this has an idea, please put it forward!  🙂 Thanks again and Happy New Years

kojack
MVP
MVP
In the power settings, select the "Change plan settings" for the high performance profile.
Then hit "Change advanced power settings".
In the dialog that appears, go to "USB settings / USB selective suspend setting" and make sure it's turned off.
That fixed all of my stuttering and glitches.

Author: Oculus Monitor,  Auto Oculus Touch,  Forum Dark Mode, Phantom Touch Remover,  X-Plane Fixer
Hardware: Threadripper 1950x, MSI Gaming Trio 2080TI, Asrock X399 Taich
Headsets: Wrap 1200VR, DK1, DK2, CV1, Rift-S, GearVR, Go, Quest, Quest 2, Reverb G2

deanjdk
Honored Guest
Cheers Kojack, ive tried your suggestion but the issue still remains. It seems to be a purely tracking issue as the framerate reads a solid 75fps even while the stutters are happening. Good suggestions so far. Thanks guys, keep them coming 🙂

deanjdk
Honored Guest
Update: Tried using an Inateck Superspeed 4 port Usb 3.0 to PCI card but still the problem remains. Has anyone any ideas? When camera sensor is unplugged the movement inside the rift is smooth but obviously without full positional tracking.

Techy111
MVP
MVP
You thought about getting 16gb ram, may help with certain boards ??
A PC with lots of gadgets inside and a thing to see in 3D that you put on your head.

deanjdk
Honored Guest
It doesn't seem to be ram related as the tracking smoothens out with the camera/sensor disconnected. Also i have an identical system and it runs just fine on mine (Also the task manager shows the system nowhere near the 8gb ram limit while in VR on either my own or my friends system). Thanks for the reply though. Anyone else any more ideas?

nalex66
MVP
MVP
I suspect it's the USB drivers or controllers on the Asus 170-P. You can check in the manual what controllers are used, but there have been a lot of problems with ASMedia USB controllers, which are often used on Asus motherboards. There may be newer drivers that your friend can download to improve it, either from Asus, or by letting Windows look for drivers.

Edit: Since this is a DK2 problem, the newest drivers may not be the best ones. It may be worth trying some older drivers if you can find them.

Also, the DK2 is strictly USB 2.0, so there is no benefit to using USB 3.0 ports. I'd stick to USB 2.0 ports just to avoid all the problems that exist with USB 3.0.

DK2, CV1, Go, Quest, Quest 2, Quest 3.

Try my game: Cyclops Island Demo