cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

any way to import images

danknugz
Superstar
any way to import images so we can use them for reference, like a naked person in an art class.
A: Because it messes up the order in which people normally read text. Q: Why is top-posting such a bad thing? A: Top-posting. Q: What is the most annoying thing on forums?
55 REPLIES 55

johnboyjr
Protege
ok here is how i did it in paint.
mirror reference
 open clouds_skybox.dds
import a new layer from file- pick your reference 
move it to the center 
edit select all
effects-distort-polar
settings=amount 1.5, offset 0 and 1 edge clamp qualty 2
hit ok
rotate and move the photo to the area that 
DaftnDirect used
save and done

P3nT4gR4m
Consultant

johnboyjr said:

P3nT4gR4m said:

You know those cute, fluffy sculpts I do from time to time? Well you can wave goodbye to those. As of tonight everything I make will be CENOBITES!!!

ye3qybvx3jis.jpg

how did you get the model next to the photo?

Dude, that's my medium skybox you're looking at. I blasted Geiger's Baphomet over the whole thing. Any photoshpere will do. This isn't even a sphere (I was too lazy) so it's all weird and distorted and I love it B)

johnboyjr
Protege

P3nT4gR4m said:

johnboyjr said:

P3nT4gR4m said:

You know those cute, fluffy sculpts I do from time to time? Well you can wave goodbye to those. As of tonight everything I make will be CENOBITES!!!

ye3qybvx3jis.jpg

how did you get the model next to the photo?

Dude, that's my medium skybox you're looking at. I blasted Geiger's Baphomet over the whole thing. Any photoshpere will do. This isn't even a sphere (I was too lazy) so it's all weird and distorted and I love it B)

oh cool looks good
this way of getting refrance's is not perfect but its not bad

here is what i tried making cwfed8af1sai.png

leslievdb
Explorer
i was just testing an ogex exporter and you could potentially replace any of the scene models with a textured plane. managed to replace the speaker geometry with a plane but i couldnt find the materialtype to use inside of 3ds max . maybe some of you blender users might have more luck.
drive:\oculus\Software\oculus-oculus-medium-retail\assets\raw\models

http://opengex.org/

leslievdb
Explorer
managed to do this you can scale the plane and move it around since it replaces the speaker
theres a dark wash going over the image that i cant seem to fix though. i made the material unlit but it persists.

for those who want to play around with it i added a zip with a textdocument and instructions

2j0hj0iux3ed.png

johnboyjr
Protege

leslievdb said:

managed to do this you can scale the plane and move it around since it replaces the speaker
theres a dark wash going over the image that i cant seem to fix though. i made the material unlit but it persists.

for those who want to play around with it i added a zip with a textdocument and instructions

2j0hj0iux3ed.png

don't you need to stop modeling to see it?

P3nT4gR4m
Consultant
@leslievdb - problem is, the speaker only shows up in scene editor, you'd still have to flip workspaces to see it. If you could find the asset for the ground plane, tho, you'd have a huge flat canvas that wouldn't require the photoshop distortion and lack of image quality associated and it's always on

leslievdb
Explorer
its a quick toggle though , also picked the speaker since it behaves the most like i`d want actual reference in the scene to behave. anyway it was a test to see if it is possible 🙂 now you can potentially replace anything with the plane 

bananapunk
Explorer

leslievdb said:

2j0hj0iux3ed.png

Hey,
what did you use to create plane geometry? I found export plugins on http://opengex.org/ , but no import. If I could import the dome geometry I could add a reference plane to it.

MattHickman
Rising Star
This is one of if not our most requested features. We're working on this for an update soon!