cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Lenovo’s new App brings VR to every game (New VR Headset also revealed)

Shadowmask72
Honored Visionary
You can read about the new prototype $400 VR headset from Lenovo here.

https://www.engadget.com/2017/01/03/lenovo-vr-headset-windows/

Quote Techgeeks article.

Today at CES Lenovo revealed a new App called  Entertainment Hub, a single VR-based application for your games and media library. Lenovo’s Entertainment Hub turns all your TV shows, Movies, and even games into VR content. Even the games that are not natively built for VR platform can be played in Virtual Reality environment.

There is nothing groundbreaking with media playback mode while watching  TV shows and Movie the app turns your surrounding into a movie theater.Pretty much the same thing that all VR headsets are doing. The real surprise comes in the gaming department, the app can scale and turn your Non-VR games into the VR material. The VR headset tracks your head motions and you can use a standard Xbox controller to interact with the game.

It is not clear how many games will actually be playable using this app, but according to Lenovo every game can be transformed into the VR content. One of the biggest problem with the VR platform is the lack of content availability and it is good to see companies like Lenovo coming up with the smart ways to fix this problem.

System Specs: MSI NVIDIA RTX 4090 , i5 13700K CPU, 32GB DDR 4 RAM, Win 11 64 Bit OS.
18 REPLIES 18

kevinw729
Honored Visionary

AndyW1384 said:
Back on topic, I was cynically amused that Lenovo weren't actually able to demo a working device to Engadget! 😄 

Agree - something not quite right here, though the design of the headset seems solid... too solid!
https://vrawards.aixr.org/ "The Out-of-Home Immersive Entertainment Frontier: Expanding Interactive Boundaries in Leisure Facilities" https://www.amazon.co.uk/Out-Home-Immersive-Entertainment-Frontier/dp/1472426959

Stryker1000
Heroic Explorer
Ahhhhh ....but can it play cysis !!!!!

elboffor
Consultant

That's so last year, can it play the climb!!!
This is my forum signature.
There are many others like it, but this is mine.

RorschachPhoeni
Trustee

elboffor said:

That's so last year, can it play the climb!!!

No! Here is the real deal: "But can it run Star Citizen (in VR)?"
Excuse my bad english. I speak to you through the google translator. 😛

elboffor
Consultant
Òoooooo
This is my forum signature.
There are many others like it, but this is mine.

kojack
MVP
MVP
Going inside-out for tracking is interesting. Apparently Lenovo already did this on a phone: the Phab 2 Pro. It's a google tango phone that uses various sensors (including cameras) to track itself with 6dof, for augmented reality. But the tracking is unreliable.

The hololens has depth cameras, what does the Lenovo one have? Are they just colour or depth? Both have downsides (stereo colour cameras can't track against large areas of a flat colour like a white wall, depth cameras have trouble with shadowing due to emitter offset).
They also look too far apart to be used for augmented purposes, if would make the real world feel smaller.

Of course inside-out tracking also means no motion controllers, unless they also have multiple cameras to do their own tracking. Otherwise you'd be limited to your hands only existing when you look at them.

The 1440x1440 per eye oled screens with no fresnel rings on the lenses could be a good selling point, it would be interesting to see how it compares to the CV1/Vive.

The odd thing to me is that there doesn't seem to be a name for it yet.

Author: Oculus Monitor,  Auto Oculus Touch,  Forum Dark Mode, Phantom Touch Remover,  X-Plane Fixer
Hardware: Threadripper 1950x, MSI Gaming Trio 2080TI, Asrock X399 Taich
Headsets: Wrap 1200VR, DK1, DK2, CV1, Rift-S, GearVR, Go, Quest, Quest 2, Reverb G2

jayhawk
Superstar

kojack said:
Of course inside-out tracking also means no motion controllers, unless they also have multiple cameras to do their own tracking. Otherwise you'd be limited to your hands only existing when you look at them.

Maybe imbedded leap which I read is going to happen with mobile VR sets. The article I read said/showed nothing about motion controls so I am going to assume there are none (for now)

kojack
MVP
MVP
Leap is exactly the same though, no hand tracking unless you are looking at them. It has a really big fov (way more than any hmd), but you can't do things like reach over your shoulder to get a weapon or glance to the left while shooting at things to your right, etc.

Now a Lenovo hmd with Stem... that could be cool.
Although Lenovo isn't the most trusted company these days (bloatware and security flaws keep turning up on their hardware) and Stem is still vapourware.

Author: Oculus Monitor,  Auto Oculus Touch,  Forum Dark Mode, Phantom Touch Remover,  X-Plane Fixer
Hardware: Threadripper 1950x, MSI Gaming Trio 2080TI, Asrock X399 Taich
Headsets: Wrap 1200VR, DK1, DK2, CV1, Rift-S, GearVR, Go, Quest, Quest 2, Reverb G2

alexcolgan
Protege
The Mobile Platform has a 180x180 FOV, so it goes significantly beyond the headset's FOV. Gun interactions are definitely challenging, but as for reaching over your shoulder, those sorts of interactions can be inferred without being tracked.

To take an example -- you're wearing your Leap Motion-embedded headset. To reach your backpack, you bring your hand up and alongside your head and over your shoulder. The software sees your hand disappearing to the upper right (or upper left, if you're left-handed) of its FOV extremity.

Many milliseconds before you can actually see your hand return in VR, the sensor has already seen your hand returning with a closed fist. It doesn't need to actually see your hand go behind your shoulder -- it already knows why you've taken this action. By the time your hand appears, there's a weapon in it.

Ultimately, some form of inside-out tracking from the headset is essential for any kind of VR/AR that's not constrained to a small room -- at least until we embed sensors in every object in the world.

Head writer @ Leap Motion