cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Hmd Tracking Stutters with more then one sensor

Gravity1368
Protege

I've been having a strange problem since i got my touches in, whenever im using more then one sensor my hmd tracking jumps when turning around with my back to the cameras.

I dont run into this when using just one sensor. I can turn around and the tracking is 100% solid, but the moment i plug sensor two back in the tracking jumps when i stop with my back to my sensors. This shouldnt be happening with the hmd I would understand if it was the controllers but the Rift has tracking lights on the back of it.

I've tried using every combination of usb ports and sensor placement, from up high on the ceiling to just on my desk still the problem remains. I even borrowed one of my buddies cameras to run the experimental setup, the irony is that the controllers track great with the three cams in roomscale but the hmd does not. Playing something like jobsim on steam I will turn around to grab something and the whole world shakes like someone is bumping my sensor.

I've spent the last two days trying everything I can think of but still nothing helps other then using just one sensor. The last thing I can think of trying is buying a usb card and see if that helps. Sorry for the wall of text but I've been beating my head against the wall trying to smooth out the hmd tracking just a little frustrated at this point.

151 REPLIES 151

Anonymous
Not applicable

I posted in a similar thread which is basically the same issue where my HMD stutters when turning around which started when I added my second sensor with Touch.  I get the occasional height glitch but I'm getting more of a millimeter sideways glitch (hard to describe) where the whole image shifts.  

Can you check if you can see those shifts on the mirrored view in the monitor? It sounds like the issue I have, but the funny part is I can't see anything wrong in the mirrored view, only in the HMD

I believe the most recent Home update broke something

R0cksteddie
Protege

Lukimator said:

Can you check if you can see those shifts on the mirrored view in the monitor? It sounds like the issue I have, but the funny part is I can't see anything wrong in the mirrored view, only in the HMD

I'm basically checking this most of the time in Oculus Home although I do see it when playing games as well, had it a lot in Eleven Table Tennis VR last night.  What game do you use that shows it the most?

Anonymous
Not applicable

Lukimator said:

I'm basically checking this most of the time in Oculus Home although I do see it when playing games as well, had it a lot in Eleven Table Tennis VR last night.  What game do you use that shows it the most?

I think Ripcoil is pretty bad for me now. It used to be perfect until something broke it, and I didn't change anything myself. But in my monitor I can't see anything wrong

R0cksteddie
Protege
I'll have to get Ripcoil downloaded and have a look.

On Eleven table tennis the mirror view is not in 1st person but when I looked the virtual head of the player character clearly glitches up and down so it is capturing something in the game.

Now that my new sensor arrived I went with a 3 sensor set-up last night to see what it is like with the 3rd camera in a USB 2.0 port via an extension cable.  Well the head height glitching has reached new levels, extremely bad and the hand tracking became quite jittery as well, mainly in the right hand where it has started to drift a bit. Not had that before.  The occlusion was much improved though as you would expect.

XlordB
Adventurer
Ive given up testing my sensors and controllers until a patch is released there is definitely something up.. For me the biggest pain is the spinning controller problem.. It happens more and more the longer I use medium the spins get more frequent the controllers start to lose their "feel" as in Its like i cant minutely hold the controller and put any detail on an object as the hand moves slightly but not as it should be. I cant try 360 experimental.

I have found out something though that i would love Cyber to relay to the engineers. If i do the 360 experimental setup what i found was this.. I took the second sensor out of the pc, I proceeded to test tracking with only one sensor.. The tracking was flawless on controller and headset, When i Plug in the second sensor and occlude it i redid the test with the first sensor making sure the second sensor remained occluded. Well for some reason just having the second sensor plugged in no matter which port made the first sensor tracking absolutely rubbish. Id also like to add to this weird thing by saying that I also did this test with the sensors in their default setup "front facing. And got the same result however if i allowed both sensors in front to see me tracking was fine except for the spinning controller thing which is very frequent for me in medium..... too frequent and it feels related to when the pc is being pushed hard. The spinning thing has also happened in bigscreen and a few times in dead and buried. Im pretty sure they are two different issues the spinning one I cant figure out why its doing it but the first problem im positive that both sensors are tracking the controllers at different positions except when both can see the controller then they both pick up fine.. this shouldn't be an issue like that though since provided you are at least in view of one sensor the tracking should be fine..

R0cksteddie
Protege
I'm also going to stop testing anything now until a new patch is released.  Thinking back I can remember when Touch was first released and I played games like The Unspoken and Dead & Buried without any issues on my HMD tracking or with my hands apart from the usual occlusion issues when my body covered the controllers. 

I'm pretty much now convinced that the last 1.10 update has broken something for me.  Obviously this has not happened to everyone so it must be my specific combination of hardware/software.  I can only hope the new update will resolve all these issues.  Out of interest I'm guessing there is no way to roll back to a previous version of home?

XlordB
Adventurer
Nope however im thinking home may be coming out of beta soon so hopefully tey will have ironed out a lot of the issues. They have tons of logs from people with the issues.. Id like to add that a lot of these issues seem to be happening with people who have z97 motherboards just from looking at the specs.. mine is also a z97 board and it may be related to something not to do with usb but maybe something else on those boards. Ive tested my usb ports and I am able to get all devices working as usb 3 constantly and the ports are putting out the required 500u power and by monitoring an average power draw on the devices of 523 combined there should be no issue

will84
Expert Protege
Any news on a fix for this yet?

thanks

R0cksteddie
Protege

XlordB said:

Nope however im thinking home may be coming out of beta soon so hopefully tey will have ironed out a lot of the issues. They have tons of logs from people with the issues.. Id like to add that a lot of these issues seem to be happening with people who have z97 motherboards just from looking at the specs.. mine is also a z97 board and it may be related to something not to do with usb but maybe something else on those boards. Ive tested my usb ports and I am able to get all devices working as usb 3 constantly and the ports are putting out the required 500u power and by monitoring an average power draw on the devices of 523 combined there should be no issue

Yep mine is a Z97 MB also (Gigabyte Gaming 7) so you may be on to something there! 

I've also never had any problems reported on my USB ports within Home, all can be connected via USB 3 or 2 without issue.

Gravity1368
Protege
Weird I have a msi Z97 pc mate mobo as well, maybe its this type of mobo.