cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Oculus Touch USB ports

MikeZwo
Honored Guest
Heya,
I'm thinking about purchasing the Oculus Touch Controllers but I couldn't find anything about USB ports. Do I need an additional one or does it track with the normal Oculus Sensor that comes with the rift? 

So my question basically is: how many USB ports do the controllers require? USB 3 or is USB 2 enough?
Thanks
6 REPLIES 6

MikeZwo
Honored Guest
From what I heard the best experience is with 2 sensors at 3.0 and 1 sensor at 2.0

kojack
MVP
MVP
The touch controllers themselves don't need usb, they are wireless to the hmd as jojerjack says.
They come with a second sensor though, which needs a usb port. It's best to have two sensors for touch to reduce occlusion (for example holding a gun in front of your face in a game could block a single sensor from seeing the hmd because your hand is in the way).

For full 360 tracking of your hands, 3 sensors are recommended. 2 work, but 3 reduces occlusion further.

So bare minimum is 2 usb (hmd and sensor). Recommended is 3 usb (hmd and two sensors). Recommended for 360 is 4 usb (hmd and 3 sensors).

Plus for any games that use an xbox controller, you need another usb. (some games still need an xbox controller, touch doesn't work with everything).

Now for usb 2 or 3: The recommended 360 degree version is hmd and two sensors on USB3, the third sensor on USB2. This is to reduce the bandwidth (all 4 on USB3 is a bit much for most computers). But even if the software complains, USB2 should work fine for all of them. I use HMD and two sensors in USB2 (none of my USB3 ports are compatible).

Author: Oculus Monitor,  Auto Oculus Touch,  Forum Dark Mode, Phantom Touch Remover,  X-Plane Fixer
Hardware: Threadripper 1950x, MSI Gaming Trio 2080TI, Asrock X399 Taich
Headsets: Wrap 1200VR, DK1, DK2, CV1, Rift-S, GearVR, Go, Quest, Quest 2, Reverb G2

XlordB
Adventurer
Whats your tracking performance like with everything in usb2?

kojack
MVP
MVP
All works fine.

I get occasional touch spinning out of hand like a lot of people, but there's no consistent problems.

(The inatek card isn't available from any local computer stores, and I intend to upgrade my pc soon-ish anyway, so new motherboard may work better)
Author: Oculus Monitor,  Auto Oculus Touch,  Forum Dark Mode, Phantom Touch Remover,  X-Plane Fixer
Headsets: Wrap 1200VR, DK1, DK2, CV1, Rift-S, GearVR, Go, Quest, Quest 2, Reverb G2

Wildt
Consultant

kojack said:

All works fine.

I get occasional touch spinning out of hand like a lot of people

So which is it?
PCVR: CV1 || 4 sensors || TPcast wireless adapter || MamutVR Gun stock V3
PSVR: PS4 Pro || Move Controllers || Aim controller
WMR: HP Reverb

kojack
MVP
MVP
Obviously I don't consider the rare controller spin to be related to usb 2.
There are ZERO hmd tracking issues with usb2.
If usb2 caused touch spinning, it would be happening all the time, not maybe twice in an hour. It's an issue with the tracking software, not usb2.