cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Asus Z170-A motherboard incompatibility?

Fahrenuf
Explorer
Since the day I received my Rift (CV1), I've been plagued with sensor/tracking and sound issues. Occasionally, head tracking will stop. Either the gyroscopic tracking freezes for a second (scene does not rotate when head is turned) or camera tracking will stop (rotation works but the scene moves with me when I move the location of my head). Sometimes it will start quickly teleporting me around the scene too. On top of all this, sometimes the sound will completely stop mid-game.

I've noticed this is multiple games and at the Oculus Home. It is most prevalent in Lucky's Tale and second most at the Home. Oddly, it never seems to happen in Farlands.

System specs:
Asus A170-A motherboard
Intel i5 6600K (not overclocked currently)
MSI Geforce 970 Gaming 4G
Inateck Superspeed 7 port PCI-E to USB 3.0 card (the recommended card)
G.Skill Ripjaws V 16GB RAM
750 watt power supply

Troubleshooting steps taken:
* Clean installed Windows 10 64 with minimal setup afterwards
* Bought and installed the Inateck recommended PCI-E to USB card (attached the power). Connected both devices to this card and nothing else. Disconnected all other unnecessary devices.
* Attached the Rift to my son's system (i5 2500K and same exact video card model). It worked perfectly fine on his system.
* Using the Xbox controller wired.
* Removed all sources of IR in the room that I could.
* Tried all combinations of USB slots including USB 2.0.
* Swapped my keyboard and mouse with my son's system
* Disabled the power management options via device manager
* Built in sound on motherboard is disabled via the bios
* Darkened the room
* Re-positioned the camera

Through my online and forum searches, I've found a few people complain of similar issues. Two of those mentioned which motherboard they are using. Both had the same motherboard as me (Asus Z170-A). I build this system for the Rift and it appears that I made a bad motherboard choice. Does anyone else have this motherboard with no tracking or sound issues using the Rift? Any ideas I could try, other than dropping another $150 for a new motherboard. While I don't know what else it could be, I'm afraid it won't fix the issue.
43 REPLIES 43

mrbungle83
Explorer
Please Oculus (sorry for being dramatic) can you help me. I have purchased the inatec 4 port card, I have tried every available driver on the planet, I have sent my sensor back to you and got a new one, I cannot get this working.

Please help me, If i use the inatec (4 port one) i get poor tracking quality, if i use USB 2.0 I get jittering constantly, if I use my on-board ASmedia 3.1 It constantly disconnects if i use the USB 3.0 extensible host controller ports it does all of the above. Please Please get me a solution.

I have no other problems with any USB devices, I use Thrustmaster T500rs with TH8A shifter.

dreimer1986 said:

Z170-A here, too. All working fine. Rift on USB3.1 and 2 Sensors on USB3 + a 3rd on USB2. I use the most recent drivers found from Snappy Driver Installer and most recent BIOS.

Thanks for your post, so we know it is possible for it to work correctly on this board. 

I have tried disabling the 3.1 controller in the bios drivers from the above recommendation (snappy) with and without overclocking, XMP Disabled.

The support team have stopped answering me since i requested a refund. I'm really disappointed that you cannot help me this has gone on for months.

You cannot recommend one single other USB card to try??? you tell me to reinstall software when I send you my logs, i keep having to jump through hoops, i literally must have spent 60 hours just troubleshooting. I have installed windows 7 64 bit and loaded all the up to date drivers and updates and it does exactly the same thing in both operating systems. I need a solution or A refund, It's completely unacceptable that I can just be left in limbo after purchasing such an expensive product. 

Z170-A, GTX 980ti, i7 6700k, 16 Gig Corsair Vengance LED 1066Mhz  DDR4. 650w Corsair PSU SanDisk 512gb SSD.  Latest Bios (2202) latest drivers.

vannagirl
Consultant
i am not techy like many here but have you tried windows 10 i read it solves many bugs and issues over windows 7 when it comes to vr, maybe dual boot and experiment?
Look, man. I only need to know one thing: where they are. 

mrbungle83
Explorer

vannagirl said:

i am not techy like many here but have you tried windows 10 i read it solves many bugs and issues over windows 7 when it comes to vr, maybe dual boot and experiment?

Yes, thanks for your reply, I have both windows 10 and 7 dual booting, i installed 7 after having no luck with 10. 

Anonymous
Not applicable
Yeah, just doesn't work with this MB regardless of ports or drivers or XMP.

That in addition to the busted cable that causes disconnects if i breathe 😄

But hey, this'll be cool thing if anyone ever figures out how to make it work.

mrbungle83
Explorer
yea i just got a brand new rift, same problem, just random behaviour. I'd love to get  it fixed.i have the inateck card too and it still act's weird, oculus there must be a incompatibility can you please grab a Z170-A and test.

metadane
Honored Guest
I have the Z170-A and the Inateck card and I do not have these problems. I had USB disconnects and poor tracking quality previous to changing the USB power management settings, which are widely reported and explained in other threads and on reddit.

I do have the XY translational shift of the guardian system, which is supposedly being worked on.

mrbungle83
Explorer
Thanks, I tried all the troubleshooting steps I could, in the end I changed to an Asus maximums ranger board and since then all my problems are gone. Whats the XY transitional shift of the guardian system??

Anonymous
Not applicable
Sigh.. seems like I might have to do the same thing eventually.
I first got the tracking to work with the Inateck card but when I updated the mobo's bios to 3007 and then bad tracking returned and now nothing seems to fix it.

danknugz
Superstar

I don't have the z170-a but a very similar asus model (z170 pro gaming), things work fine here for the most part.

when installing the os you might want to make sure you are installing drivers in the correct order, mainly make sure you get the latest chipset drivers and install those first, before anything else

A: Because it messes up the order in which people normally read text. Q: Why is top-posting such a bad thing? A: Top-posting. Q: What is the most annoying thing on forums?

Anonymous
Not applicable
Well i've done two complete windows reinstalls and numerous tests with all thinkable driver combinations to no avail. Now the newest gained feature is sensor not being found at all despite being visible in the device manager all the time.