Height Changes, Guardian Moving, and other tracking issues (3 sensor setup) Possibly faulty sensor. — Oculus
New to the forums? Click here to read the "How To" Guide.

Developer? Click here to go to the Developer Forums.

Height Changes, Guardian Moving, and other tracking issues (3 sensor setup) Possibly faulty sensor.

coderzerocoderzero Posts: 13
NerveGear
So, I've been going back and forth since I received my third sensor. My original problem was find the right setup to reduce the amount of occlusion I was getting. Then... the troubles started.

Initially I thought it may have been an issue with my sensor configuration since it start as minimal height changes and tracking weirdness.... as time has progressed the tracking.

As of this writing while the troublesome sensor is plugged in has gotten much worse - to the point where it's currently unplugged as having this sensor plugged in would cause severe disorientation.  Height changes and world orientation changes every time you turn your head. 

It has been odd to watch this progression and I have concluded that it must be the sensor is faulty, no amount of usb cards, usb port configuration, sensor configuration etc... resolve this issue. It took a while to get to this point but I'm 99% sure the issue is caused by a bad sensor. Currently, I have 4 distinct, compatible, usb controllers. The two working sensors can be plugged into any of these without any issues. When I try the default 2 sensor config with any USB the tracking troubles begin.

Funny thing is the sensor that seems the sensor that seems to have gone bad is one that came with either the headset or the touch controllers. Does anyone know a definitive way to figure out which of these it came with?

To those out there experiencing height changes, and weird world shifting issues I recommend you do some testing and make sure you aren't in the same boat as me, a bad sensor. 

I've ordered ANOTHER sensor to double check my theory as the wait time for support seems astronomical. Worst case scenario I'll have another extra sensor. 

The cherry on top of all of this is that now the right headphone has stopped producing sound unless its moved up on the slider a certain amount.... Still waiting to hear back on this too ;) I don't really like the ear in headphones so I'm hoping I can get a replacement right headphone? (@cybereality is this possible?) 

Comments

  • hoochyukhoochyuk Posts: 330 Poster of the Week
    Got my sensor today and set up with exact measurements  recommended and I'm suffering with real bad occlusion  my hands left hanging in mid air quite regular also had  problem with bad tracking on 3rd sensor 
  • FlausnFlausn Posts: 187
    Art3mis
    i deinstalled innatek drivers problem solved...there is a warning ignoreit. greez

  • rabbitovskyrabbitovsky Posts: 8
    NerveGear
    I had similar issues, and I read in another thread that after some checking and rechecking logs from those afflicted, that the culprit was a software glitch causing sensors to erroneously believe they were being physically moved and resetting, which forces another sensor to pick up the burden...needless to say it's causing a lot of drama for a minority of customers.

    Hopefully they fix it soon.  In the meantime I have stuck with my 2 sensors; that causes much fewer cases of this problem to pop up.
  • coderzerocoderzero Posts: 13
    NerveGear
    So turns out my 2 sensor setup was no good, after having it work without any issues the previous the day I woke up yesterday to the same exact problem with just 2 sensors......

    I was able to figure out something very interesting... The height issues, and the guardian moved issue are the same bug. Just depends on the initial orientation of your sensor. Likely, if and of your sensors are mounted upside down you experience the bug as the guardian or world shifting left/right. If you have them all right side up... It's a height adjustment. 

    Something definitely related to sensor placement but an issue that will occur eventually with enough use on any setup, I've tried a few setups where it's very difficult to get it to occur while others seem to have it instantly. Quickest way to experience this issue is - start turning 360 while waving your hands near your head... you'll get the initial height adjustment bug from there... it just goes down hill. 

    If you play in 2 sensor setup and never turn around, or 3 sensor and don't do 360s then you'll likely never run into this bug or it'll be so rare as to not cause an issue for you. 

    Not sure if devs have been able to track it down yet or not, but what I would recommend is start playing raw data  that's the game that always breaks any sensor setup i think i've found.


  • Mnem0nicMnem0nic Posts: 57
    Hiro Protagonist
    edited December 2016
    I get the 360 tracking glitches/jolts even in Home.. I have the sensors the right way up, with two Front sensors(8ft high 5ft apart) and a rear left (11ft back from front sensors) configuration(Play space 2x2m)..I can provoke the tracking issues by simply doing a slow 180 while slowly moving my hands around slow, then stopping for a few seconds then while turning back around 180 I get jolt/flicker/ every single time.. I can even do this while going through the last part of the "Reset Tracking" config.. While scanning I just watch my rear sensor jump up and down hehe.. 

    Pretty much ruins any good 360 games for me, but it is bearable to play I guess but still needs fixing asap!

    I'm sure it must be a software bug, as I have tried all sorts now.. Its almost like your movements are being passed between sensors,, Although I would say it only happens when the third sensor is being used for 360 gaming..

    Fingers crossed for an update OR some sort of response, although I don't expect anything from OC this side of 2016... :neutral:   
  • BEARDEDFIGNUTZBEARDEDFIGNUTZ Posts: 51
    Hiro Protagonist
                                         I am also having issues with tracking such as the controller drifting and or shifting position as well as the image in the rift. I have a 3 sensor setup almost identical to the image above.

                                       In my experience it definitely seems as though the issues occur when both sensors labeled A and B can no longer track both controllers and tracking transfers from sensors A and B to Sensors A and C or B and C. I feel pretty safe assuming it is a software issue that will be resolved, though.
                   Also, the trigger on the right touch controller has become much louder than the trigger on the left touch. As if a rubber dampener has come loose.

  • TickTockTickTock Posts: 200
    Nexus 6
    coderzero said:
    I was able to figure out something very interesting... The height issues, and the guardian moved issue are the same bug. Just depends on the initial orientation of your sensor. Likely, if and of your sensors are mounted upside down you experience the bug as the guardian or world shifting left/right. If you have them all right side up... It's a height adjustment. 

    I can corroborate this observation.  Since moving my sensors to the ceiling (upside-down), I am experiencing the guardian moving (both translation and rotation in XY plane).  I have not noticed any height (Z) errors.
    "I'm not crazy about reality, but it's still the only place to get a decent meal."
     -Groucho Marx
  • metadanemetadane Posts: 23
    Brain Burst
    @coderzero @TickTock Same here. My sensors are upside-down on the ceiling. I have never gotten a height (Z) error but I get very frequent translation/rotation XY shifts. I get the "Timed out waiting for camera" followed by "Sensor moved" warnings for all 3 cameras each time this happens.
  • DoriathDoriath Posts: 26
    Brain Burst
    My experience has been XY shifts if any sensors are upside down, and Z shifts if they are all right side up.  This happens if I am running either two or three sensors.
  • WildtWildt Posts: 1,959 Valuable Player
    While I await oculus support gets their act together and RMA's my bricked 3rd sensor, I decided to change my 2 sensor setup. I removed the feet and lodged them into some foam audio absorbents I have I the corners of my room, so they're now approx. 2m up and 3.5 meters apart pointing towards the center of the room aiming at my chest.

    1 sensor is upside down, and the other is actually horizontal (rotated 90 degrees).

    Apart from the odd glitch/bounce, this works pretty well it seems. I know I've just jinxed it, however, and the next session is probably gonna be a nightmare with tons of issues.
    Asus Z370-A ||  Watercooled 8700K || 16 GB gSkill DDR4 3200 || Samsung SSD 840PRO 256GB+850PRO 256GB+850EVO 500GB+970EVO 1TB || Watercooled FE Geforce 1080ti || Zalman Reserator XT watercooler || TPcast wireless adapter || MamutVR Gun stock V3 || Asus ROG PG279Q  G-sync monitor
  • DragonfrostDragonfrost Posts: 32
    Brain Burst
    https://www.reddit.com/r/oculus/comments/5ndbhj/rift_height_bug_things_i_have_tried/

    I would like it if people could reply to this reddit page i created in hopes we can come up with more things to try, so we can troubleshoot this further, perhaps narrow down the problem.

    Please reply here or on the reddit page
  • coderzerocoderzero Posts: 13
    NerveGear
    Hey guys, just to give an update to what i've experienced so far. I've returned and rebought a rift+touch. Had to return my original rift since my right headphone went out. After receiving the new hardware some of the issues continued to persist.

    I did a complete tear down on pc which included removing a sandisk ssd that was apparently causing high dpc latency. After performing that step the situation has improved dramatically.

    I'm guessing what we have here is a combination of hardware/software config + oculus software that needs a bit more cooking to be able to handle all production environments out there gracefully. Until Oculus is able to provide more detailed diagnostics I suggest running the dpc latency checker and going through the torturous process of eliminating as many factors as possible.  Just for reference the SSD that was causing high latency was a (sandisk sd8sb8u-1t00-1122). The programs I used are dpclat and latency mon, the former being more useful for me. 

    One thing I have noticed is that if you "skip" the orientation step and the guardian setup, I don't seem to experience any weirdness at all. Obviously I can't tell if the guardian boundaries are shifting since there aren't any but I definitely don't have any adjustments in my height like I did before.

    Hope someone find this information useful, thanks for all the replies. We'll get there eventually!

  • DragonfrostDragonfrost Posts: 32
    Brain Burst
    coderzero said:
    Hey guys, just to give an update to what i've experienced so far. I've returned and rebought a rift+touch. Had to return my original rift since my right headphone went out. After receiving the new hardware some of the issues continued to persist.

    I did a complete tear down on pc which included removing a sandisk ssd that was apparently causing high dpc latency. After performing that step the situation has improved dramatically.

    I'm guessing what we have here is a combination of hardware/software config + oculus software that needs a bit more cooking to be able to handle all production environments out there gracefully. Until Oculus is able to provide more detailed diagnostics I suggest running the dpc latency checker and going through the torturous process of eliminating as many factors as possible.  Just for reference the SSD that was causing high latency was a (sandisk sd8sb8u-1t00-1122). The programs I used are dpclat and latency mon, the former being more useful for me. 

    One thing I have noticed is that if you "skip" the orientation step and the guardian setup, I don't seem to experience any weirdness at all. Obviously I can't tell if the guardian boundaries are shifting since there aren't any but I definitely don't have any adjustments in my height like I did before.

    Hope someone find this information useful, thanks for all the replies. We'll get there eventually!

    Nope, tried taking out a sound card and 2 hard drives, left my system with the bare essentials and tried with and without setting up the orientation and didn't work, i'll probably try again tomorrow, this gets too annoying to keep trying after awhile
  • Arock387Arock387 Posts: 727
    Trinity
    This all could very well just be guardian issues?  Some folks are saying if they just skip the setup they don't see these things.  SO maybe its the guardian software having a battle with the sensors themselves?
  • DragonfrostDragonfrost Posts: 32
    Brain Burst
    No, doesn't matter if i set up guardian or not i still get the height glitching
  • kzintzikzintzi Posts: 1,068
    Wintermute
    I spoke to Support about this and there is a fault they're tracking and trying to resolve (I'm only using 2 sensors though not three). they said they hoped to have an update by the end of the month (these things take as long as they take)... unfortunately the height glitching makes it really difficult to play touch games right now for me.. good thing I've got Elite Dangerous to fall back on :smile:

    Though you are more than slightly incoherent, I agree with you Madam,
    a plum is a terrible thing to do to a nostril.
  • Silverfoxx30Silverfoxx30 Posts: 40
    Brain Burst
    kzintzi said:
    I spoke to Support about this and there is a fault they're tracking and trying to resolve (I'm only using 2 sensors though not three). they said they hoped to have an update by the end of the month (these things take as long as they take)... unfortunately the height glitching makes it really difficult to play touch games right now for me.. good thing I've got Elite Dangerous to fall back on :smile:

    End of the month, that's pretty poor seeing it's been an issue since pre xmas, also could they not do an intermediate update as the last comment I read was that they couldn't replicate the issues some were having with the build they had in support as they were already on a newer version, give us that new version please......
  • podkillzpodkillz Posts: 12
    NerveGear
    Doriath said:
    My experience has been XY shifts if any sensors are upside down, and Z shifts if they are all right side up.  This happens if I am running either two or three sensors.
    exact same thing for me. Its terrible.
  • WeeMan_ukWeeMan_uk Posts: 12
    NerveGear

    I have 3 sensors mounted upside down and also have started to get the XY shift. Well it only seems to shift to the right and its about the same everytime is happens 1m or so.

    Has worked faultless since I set up my 3 sensors on new years day until about 3 days ago. I now keep getting the right shift. Takes about 10 to 15mins after putting on my rift until it happens.

  • coderzerocoderzero Posts: 13
    NerveGear
    coderzero said:
    Hey guys, just to give an update to what i've experienced so far. I've returned and rebought a rift+touch. Had to return my original rift since my right headphone went out. After receiving the new hardware some of the issues continued to persist.

    I did a complete tear down on pc which included removing a sandisk ssd that was apparently causing high dpc latency. After performing that step the situation has improved dramatically.

    I'm guessing what we have here is a combination of hardware/software config + oculus software that needs a bit more cooking to be able to handle all production environments out there gracefully. Until Oculus is able to provide more detailed diagnostics I suggest running the dpc latency checker and going through the torturous process of eliminating as many factors as possible.  Just for reference the SSD that was causing high latency was a (sandisk sd8sb8u-1t00-1122). The programs I used are dpclat and latency mon, the former being more useful for me. 

    One thing I have noticed is that if you "skip" the orientation step and the guardian setup, I don't seem to experience any weirdness at all. Obviously I can't tell if the guardian boundaries are shifting since there aren't any but I definitely don't have any adjustments in my height like I did before.

    Hope someone find this information useful, thanks for all the replies. We'll get there eventually!

    Nope, tried taking out a sound card and 2 hard drives, left my system with the bare essentials and tried with and without setting up the orientation and didn't work, i'll probably try again tomorrow, this gets too annoying to keep trying after awhile
    Sorry to hear that dude, I feel your pain since I went through almost the exact same steps... essentially rebuilt my computer one component at a time. I still have sporadic tracking issues from time to time but I figure at this point it has to be a software issue. 

    I am eagerly awaiting the next update to see if any of these issues get better. Oculus should consider having an opt in for experimental builds so we can provide feedback. I fear that if an update is released and it doesn't solve issues for those experiencing them we'll be stuck back at square 1. Considering it's been over a month now since touch and 3 sensors setups have been available I would think they have some good data to work with. 

  • FlausnFlausn Posts: 187
    Art3mis
    it worked without issues ...then 15.12., update since then it sux. come on why we have to deal with  this over a month now ???
  • FadeeawayFadeeaway Posts: 40
    Brain Burst
    Flausn said:
    it worked without issues ...then 15.12., update since then it sux. come on why we have to deal with  this over a month now ???
    The worst of it all is the lack of information on these forums from Oculus themselves. I love the product, but I doens't feel that they care about their customers enough.
  • TickTockTickTock Posts: 200
    Nexus 6
    metadane said:
    @coderzero @TickTock Same here. My sensors are upside-down on the ceiling. I have never gotten a height (Z) error but I get very frequent translation/rotation XY shifts. I get the "Timed out waiting for camera" followed by "Sensor moved" warnings for all 3 cameras each time this happens.
    I looted my childhood Erector Set to make this temporary fix.  I did this to all three sensors and the guardian shifts are gone.  Yay!  (Now I just need to find a reliable HDMI extender solution...)

    sm.jpg 42.7K
    "I'm not crazy about reality, but it's still the only place to get a decent meal."
     -Groucho Marx
  • FlausnFlausn Posts: 187
    Art3mis
    its a shame the hmd is useless for a month now WTF !!!! oculus is the rift dying now ?
Sign In or Register to comment.