cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Height Changes, Guardian Moving, and other tracking issues (3 sensor setup) Possibly faulty sensor.

coderzero
Explorer
So, I've been going back and forth since I received my third sensor. My original problem was find the right setup to reduce the amount of occlusion I was getting. Then... the troubles started.

Initially I thought it may have been an issue with my sensor configuration since it start as minimal height changes and tracking weirdness.... as time has progressed the tracking.

As of this writing while the troublesome sensor is plugged in has gotten much worse - to the point where it's currently unplugged as having this sensor plugged in would cause severe disorientation.  Height changes and world orientation changes every time you turn your head. 

It has been odd to watch this progression and I have concluded that it must be the sensor is faulty, no amount of usb cards, usb port configuration, sensor configuration etc... resolve this issue. It took a while to get to this point but I'm 99% sure the issue is caused by a bad sensor. Currently, I have 4 distinct, compatible, usb controllers. The two working sensors can be plugged into any of these without any issues. When I try the default 2 sensor config with any USB the tracking troubles begin.

Funny thing is the sensor that seems the sensor that seems to have gone bad is one that came with either the headset or the touch controllers. Does anyone know a definitive way to figure out which of these it came with?

To those out there experiencing height changes, and weird world shifting issues I recommend you do some testing and make sure you aren't in the same boat as me, a bad sensor. 

I've ordered ANOTHER sensor to double check my theory as the wait time for support seems astronomical. Worst case scenario I'll have another extra sensor. 

The cherry on top of all of this is that now the right headphone has stopped producing sound unless its moved up on the slider a certain amount.... Still waiting to hear back on this too 😉 I don't really like the ear in headphones so I'm hoping I can get a replacement right headphone? (@cybereality is this possible?) 
24 REPLIES 24

Wildt
Consultant
While I await oculus support gets their act together and RMA's my bricked 3rd sensor, I decided to change my 2 sensor setup. I removed the feet and lodged them into some foam audio absorbents I have I the corners of my room, so they're now approx. 2m up and 3.5 meters apart pointing towards the center of the room aiming at my chest.

1 sensor is upside down, and the other is actually horizontal (rotated 90 degrees).

Apart from the odd glitch/bounce, this works pretty well it seems. I know I've just jinxed it, however, and the next session is probably gonna be a nightmare with tons of issues.
PCVR: CV1 || 4 sensors || TPcast wireless adapter || MamutVR Gun stock V3
PSVR: PS4 Pro || Move Controllers || Aim controller
WMR: HP Reverb

Dragonfrost
Protege
https://www.reddit.com/r/oculus/comments/5ndbhj/rift_height_bug_things_i_have_tried/

I would like it if people could reply to this reddit page i created in hopes we can come up with more things to try, so we can troubleshoot this further, perhaps narrow down the problem.

Please reply here or on the reddit page

coderzero
Explorer
Hey guys, just to give an update to what i've experienced so far. I've returned and rebought a rift+touch. Had to return my original rift since my right headphone went out. After receiving the new hardware some of the issues continued to persist.

I did a complete tear down on pc which included removing a sandisk ssd that was apparently causing high dpc latency. After performing that step the situation has improved dramatically.

I'm guessing what we have here is a combination of hardware/software config + oculus software that needs a bit more cooking to be able to handle all production environments out there gracefully. Until Oculus is able to provide more detailed diagnostics I suggest running the dpc latency checker and going through the torturous process of eliminating as many factors as possible.  Just for reference the SSD that was causing high latency was a (sandisk sd8sb8u-1t00-1122). The programs I used are dpclat and latency mon, the former being more useful for me. 

One thing I have noticed is that if you "skip" the orientation step and the guardian setup, I don't seem to experience any weirdness at all. Obviously I can't tell if the guardian boundaries are shifting since there aren't any but I definitely don't have any adjustments in my height like I did before.

Hope someone find this information useful, thanks for all the replies. We'll get there eventually!

Dragonfrost
Protege

coderzero said:

Hey guys, just to give an update to what i've experienced so far. I've returned and rebought a rift+touch. Had to return my original rift since my right headphone went out. After receiving the new hardware some of the issues continued to persist.

I did a complete tear down on pc which included removing a sandisk ssd that was apparently causing high dpc latency. After performing that step the situation has improved dramatically.

I'm guessing what we have here is a combination of hardware/software config + oculus software that needs a bit more cooking to be able to handle all production environments out there gracefully. Until Oculus is able to provide more detailed diagnostics I suggest running the dpc latency checker and going through the torturous process of eliminating as many factors as possible.  Just for reference the SSD that was causing high latency was a (sandisk sd8sb8u-1t00-1122). The programs I used are dpclat and latency mon, the former being more useful for me. 

One thing I have noticed is that if you "skip" the orientation step and the guardian setup, I don't seem to experience any weirdness at all. Obviously I can't tell if the guardian boundaries are shifting since there aren't any but I definitely don't have any adjustments in my height like I did before.

Hope someone find this information useful, thanks for all the replies. We'll get there eventually!

Nope, tried taking out a sound card and 2 hard drives, left my system with the bare essentials and tried with and without setting up the orientation and didn't work, i'll probably try again tomorrow, this gets too annoying to keep trying after awhile

Arock387
Heroic Explorer
This all could very well just be guardian issues?  Some folks are saying if they just skip the setup they don't see these things.  SO maybe its the guardian software having a battle with the sensors themselves?

Dragonfrost
Protege
No, doesn't matter if i set up guardian or not i still get the height glitching

kzintzi
Trustee
I spoke to Support about this and there is a fault they're tracking and trying to resolve (I'm only using 2 sensors though not three). they said they hoped to have an update by the end of the month (these things take as long as they take)... unfortunately the height glitching makes it really difficult to play touch games right now for me.. good thing I've got Elite Dangerous to fall back on :smile:

Though you are more than slightly incoherent, I agree with you Madam,
a plum is a terrible thing to do to a nostril.

Silverfoxx30
Protege

kzintzi said:

I spoke to Support about this and there is a fault they're tracking and trying to resolve (I'm only using 2 sensors though not three). they said they hoped to have an update by the end of the month (these things take as long as they take)... unfortunately the height glitching makes it really difficult to play touch games right now for me.. good thing I've got Elite Dangerous to fall back on :smile:

End of the month, that's pretty poor seeing it's been an issue since pre xmas, also could they not do an intermediate update as the last comment I read was that they couldn't replicate the issues some were having with the build they had in support as they were already on a newer version, give us that new version please......

Oculus12222
Protege

Doriath said:

My experience has been XY shifts if any sensors are upside down, and Z shifts if they are all right side up.  This happens if I am running either two or three sensors.

exact same thing for me. Its terrible.

WeeMan_uk
Explorer

I have 3 sensors mounted upside down and also have started to get the XY shift. Well it only seems to shift to the right and its about the same everytime is happens 1m or so.

Has worked faultless since I set up my 3 sensors on new years day until about 3 days ago. I now keep getting the right shift. Takes about 10 to 15mins after putting on my rift until it happens.