cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Elite Dangerous: Friends Lists, Favorite Loadouts, etc.

CrashFu
Consultant
Consider this the thread to invite fellow Elite Dangerous players to join your friendslists, on Oculus Home or Steam (to keep track of when people on either platform are playing), and of course within the game itself.

My screenname is the same on all three as it is here. You're all welcome to add me. :wink:

If I'm online and in the general vicinity of your system, I'll probably be willing to wing up if I'm not already working on specific plans.

Currently I'm running a Viper mk4, and I don't expect that to change any time soon. Really love that ship. I never install a shield on it; I just keep the armor reinforced and the heat output low so I can go in and out of Silent Running with no penalty; basically I use it as a 300 ton stealth fighter.

My most common weapon loadout is two medium burst lasers, fixed (modded for efficiency. Plan to get the Kinetic upgrade on 'em) and two small cannons, gimballed. (modded for short-range blaster. Trying to get either Force or High Yield upgrade on them).

I've also been experimenting with two small gimballed pulse lasers (modded for Focus, IE 5k+ range and boosted armor penetration,  one of them can scramble modules randomly)  and two medium fixed multicannons (rapid fire).    Seems to be a pretty effective set-up.

When I do acquire another ship, it'll probably be a Transport or Explorer of some sort.  Something I can either jump really far in or carry a lot of cargo, or both, especially if I can outfit it as a more effective mining vessel than I can my Viper.
It's hard being the voice of reason when you're surrounded by unreasonable people.
859 REPLIES 859

elboffor
Consultant
I wouldn't mind having a master class tbh.
I've tried playing it a few times but keep end up running out of fuel many many light-years from anywhere 😞
This is my forum signature.
There are many others like it, but this is mine.

CrashFu
Consultant

elboffor said:

I've tried playing it a few times but keep end up running out of fuel many many light-years from anywhere 😞

I recommend investing in a good fuel scoop. That way you can top off your fuel tank after each system jump, without having to worry about stopping in at stations to buy fuel. If I'm making a lot of jumps, I'll just pull into orbit around each sun, drop my speed down about halfway, and slowly orbit around until I'm facing my next jump.  (just make sure to fly out of scooping range, until your ship's heat starts dropping, BEFORE you start charging your FSD for the next jump.  You're liable to cook yourself if you try to jump from right next to the sun.)

A size 1 or 2 of a higher class shouldn't set you back too far.

Heck, a lot of times I like to equip a down-graded fuel tank, just so my ship isn't weighed down with more than I need for a couple jumps at a time, since less weight means farther jumps.
It's hard being the voice of reason when you're surrounded by unreasonable people.

kojack
MVP
MVP
My primary loadout at the moment is a Python with 4 burst laser turrets and a gimbaled multi cannon.
Turrets are the worst for dps, but having all 4 on the top of my ship means nearly the entire 180 degree hemisphere above my ship is a kill zone. When fighting fast enemies I just keep pulling back, I don't need to even see them.
(The Python was too slow at turning to dogfight ships like sidewinders after the AI change that makes them stick to your six)

I've got an Asp Explorer for data delivery or small passenger missions. Great ship, plus awesome cockpit view in VR.

elboffor said:

There's an awesome group of people called the Fuel Rats. If you run out of fuel, you can call for their help (if you are in solo, you can just log out and back in to open world). They will find you and use fuel transfer limpets to refuel you.
https://www.fuelrats.com
There's stories on their website of the rescues. One guy flew over 9000 light years, for 10 hours, just to give a stuck ship some fuel.

Author: Oculus Monitor,  Auto Oculus Touch,  Forum Dark Mode, Phantom Touch Remover,  X-Plane Fixer
Hardware: Threadripper 1950x, MSI Gaming Trio 2080TI, Asrock X399 Taich
Headsets: Wrap 1200VR, DK1, DK2, CV1, Rift-S, GearVR, Go, Quest, Quest 2, Reverb G2

CrashFu
Consultant
Oh yeah btw "Bast" is usually my 'home system'  (after migrating there from Dahan).    If you haven't been there yet, well.. it's got a single star, a single planet not too far away, and a single station, Hart Station, orbiting that. (The planet btw is 'earth-like' so nothing we can do with it. Yet.)  Hart station is Federation controlled, has all the basic ameneties you could want, and the market sells "Bast Snake Gin", one of those rare/unique commodities.  I usually get decent missions for nearby systems, there.

But at the moment I've just completed a journey hundreds of lightyears away to the Maia system, in order to seek out some Meta-Alloys to unlock a particular engineer's services.  I hear there's some peculiar alien artifacts on the planet services in the nearby systems.   Heck, maybe I'll even run into a Thargoid down there?  :wink:

vannagirl
Consultant

elboffor said:

haha awww

worst thing ever this feeling of desperately stuck in elite, it feels so real.

i have had many close shaves before i learn, message me if you ever have this happen and i will come fuel rat you, i am in Mobius private group or i can join yours, i never play open but will make exception for fuel ratting that system

Cmdr Miss_Delgado
Look, man. I only need to know one thing: where they are. 

elboffor
Consultant
well i did have a scoop, but i jumped into a system with a cold sun, then the next was, and then i was out of fuel 😕

first time this happened i deleted my save out of rage.
second time it happened was the last time i played it, but this was before i formatted and never bothered to back up my save.

shame really cos i bought the x52 pro just for this game and maybe used it 3 times 😕
This is my forum signature.
There are many others like it, but this is mine.

Jokergod2000
Adventurer
When you plot a jump you can check to see if the next star is scoopable. Classes A to M are scoopable.

I've played more than most. Currently flying an Anaconda with a full multicannon loadout.

My alien encounter video with some funny coms chatter: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xam9ZCubXmY&feature=youtu.be

CrashFu
Consultant
I have the strongest desire to fire a torpedo straight into the "eye" of one of those thargons. But I guess by the time a "kidnapped" player's systems come back online, that isn't really an option, eh?

Also, you're running a ship with only multicannons?  Isn't it hard to get through tougher shields with anything but thermal weaponry? 

kojack
MVP
MVP

When you plot a jump you can check to see if the next star is scoopable. Classes A to M are scoopable.

If you go into the filter and select only class A to M stars, then course plotting will automatically only use scoopable stars to make a route. Probably longer with more jumps.

One fun little fact: distance to fuel use is exponential, not linear. Going 16ly in one jump uses more fuel than two 8ly jumps.

I spend most of my time at 64 Arietis (Weyn Dock). https://eddb.io/system/291 ; You'll probably pass by it on the way to Maia.
There was a community event there, the first one I really got involved with, so I've stuck around ever since. Weyn Dock is also one of the stations listed as having malfunctions due to possible alien activity, so maybe something will happen?

I should take a look at Bast though, sounds interesting.

Author: Oculus Monitor,  Auto Oculus Touch,  Forum Dark Mode, Phantom Touch Remover,  X-Plane Fixer
Hardware: Threadripper 1950x, MSI Gaming Trio 2080TI, Asrock X399 Taich
Headsets: Wrap 1200VR, DK1, DK2, CV1, Rift-S, GearVR, Go, Quest, Quest 2, Reverb G2