cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Win 10 driver error in control panel.

Chazmeister
Rising Star
Hi, I'm getting a driver error in my Win 10 control panel for the Rift CV1.

In the hardware properties window there is an error for the Generic SuperSpeed USB Hub and the device status is shown as: This device is not working properly because Windows cannot load the drivers required for this device. (Code 31)

The request is not supported.

Is there anything I can do to sort this out?

I can't say when this error has first occurred as I've only just noticed it, but it wasn't there from the start when I first installed my Rift, so I'd say it has only been recent.

I also have an issue with my rear tracking LED's no longer working, which I already have a support ticket for, but this has happened since then.

Apart from the rear tracking problem the Rift seems to still work OK though.
46 REPLIES 46

WebMaximus
Protege
And here's another one with the same issue.

I've been in contact with Oculus support sending them logs etc but so far they haven't been able to find the culprit or even less address the issue. Also the issue will probably not get very high prio since it doesn't affect the performance of the Oculus hardware, at least not in my case.

My own guess would be it's a timing issue of some kind since it doesn't happen all the time but only randomly which seems to be the case for a number of people.

Anyone in here made any progress or even found a solution?

acb5544
Honored Guest
Seeing same thing here.  Asus Z170-A mobo.  Everything seems to work alright, but windows device manager shows code 31.

No1Statistican
Honored Guest
I am having the exact same problem, has anyone found a solution?

philippeback
Honored Guest
Same issue on a Win8.1 Pro. Has the unfortunate side effect or restarting the PC with a CRITICAL_STRUCTURE_CORRUPTION blue screen of death when doing work under VMWare Workstation 😞

andrea_lioce
Explorer
I've fixed by changing USB ports. I've plugged the rift on the usb 3.0 from the MB back panel and the sensors on the USB 3.0 ports coming from a 19 pin cable attached to a USB 3.0 internal header. Before that the rift and the sensors were inverted and I had the error 31, now the error seems solved.

Update: not fixed, the error appears randomly anyhow, the only way to solve is unplug then plug again

iNeoTroniC
Honored Guest

Same issue here, thought I got it fixed by changing power savings settings but I were unlucky. Sensors and HMD plugged into Z87 USB 3 ports. Seems to appear after the Rift has been used and the PC is started on next day. Then there is a lets say 30% chance of getting the windows prompt saying a USB device isn't working properly and a yellow mark with code 31 in device Manager. Simply restarting windows mostly solves that issue for the next session...

Changing power management in every way, using differnet ports and even different PCIe controllers have no effect, the problem always remains.

To me it seems that this is some kind of a timing issue when windows boots, too.

flexy123
Superstar
This is strange since Z87 boards, at least my ASUS, are really stable and I don't have any USB3.0 problems with it, neither on the ASMEDIA nor on the Intel ports. When Windows cannot even initialize a device on the USB ports and/or yellow exclamation marks..this is a more serious issue than a mere timing problem. (Whereas there DO indeed timing problems exist but IMHO they are more related to the Oculus software, such as that one out of 10 times or so Oculus sees the HMD as 2.0 and not as 3.0 or something when starting, but NOT related to anything in device manager).

In my case when I get "device not recognized" from Windows or yellow exclamation mark in device manager, it's from a "flaky" connection (cable, plugs etc.) from devices...like I have an e-cig connected to my USB with a lose connector that sometimes shows this. So it CAN be a mechanical problem w/ your wires, plugs or ports even. (Dust in the USB ports...all kinds of possible scenarios)

Anyway, if you cannot get USB devices properly detected and installed in device manager, I recommend you UNINSTALL the USB devices from Win device manager completely, including driver files. You can also get a tool called USBDEVView and de-install your USB devices with it. It's important that you really wipe whatever old drivers are there since there seems to be a conflict somewhere.

Cold-start your PC and then have it find/install drivers for your USB ports/hubs.

And then re-install oculus exactly and step-by-step following their instuctions. (I don't remember whether I actually first installed the software and THEN plugged the stuff in or whether I plugged the stuff in and THEN installed...anyway I did it exactly as in the instructions...and there SHOULD not be any problems really).

Edit: This shouldn't have ANYTHING to do with power management really...

Gloozy
Protege
I had the same problem with my Z87plus.
I've changed some seetings in the BIOS that solve my problem.

In the BIOS :

To Advanced tab, then USB config.
- Set Legacy USB to disable
- Set Intel xHCI mode to disable
- Set EHCI Handoff to disable

To Boot tab :
- Set Fastboot to disable
- Set Hardwarefastboot to disable

I've only 2 sensors. 1 is plugged on the top back USB panel and 1 on back USB panel at bottom (blue one)
The rift in plugged on the top back USB panel.

Hope it's gonna work for you.

iNeoTroniC
Honored Guest

Gloozy said:

I had the same problem with my Z87plus.
I've changed some seetings in the BIOS that solve my problem.

In the BIOS :

To Advanced tab, then USB config.
- Set Legacy USB to disable
- Set Intel xHCI mode to disable
- Set EHCI Handoff to disable

To Boot tab :
- Set Fastboot to disable
- Set Hardwarefastboot to disable

I've only 2 sensors. 1 is plugged on the top back USB panel and 1 on back USB panel at bottom (blue one)
The rift in plugged on the top back USB panel.

Hope it's gonna work for you.

So you just have disabled USB 3 (xHCI) entirely, so all your USB ports are USB2s... Thats not that good...
v1.11 seems to have solved that problem for me, at least til now...

HARE333
Honored Guest
w10 PRO/64 
ver 1.14
X99 board

I now have same above mentioned error.
uninstall reboot, no go

rift devices says headset is usb 2.0