cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Height glitching up and down

KevinLongtime
Heroic Explorer
Today I've been noticing this weird thing where I'm sitting inside of "I expect you to die" and while im sitting in my chair I get this glitch every once in a while where my height glitches upwards and I have to reset my default orientation to get it back down to normal. After a little while it will do it again. 

Anyone else have this?
199 REPLIES 199

Zandil
Rising Star

metadane said:

Epxzz said:

The problem lies within the headset itself. I just tried the headset of a friend with the exact same setup/computer/USB ports and it worked flawlessly! LED brightness is exact same for both headset (I did not check the frequencies).

This is a big problem: I spent hours and days trying to fix this stupid glitch. I was about to wipe my complete system making backups and reinstall windows. Then maybe buying extra hardware for other USB Ports.

Please give us an update on what will happen next.
I heard there will be an update at the end of the month... but I really feel fooled again, two month without a fix?
Can I just run this: https://forums.oculus.com/community/discussion/44368/is-your-rifts-view-tilted-slanted-heres-how-you-fix-it
Will it the issue shown in this thread? Will it void warranty?

Sorry for sounding a bit impatient, but I bought the controllers, more than a month ago and every time I use them buggy like they are now I loose faith/trust in the Rift. I won't leave Steam for a while if things keep going like this.

A bit odd if this was the headset itself, as most of our error logs are showing sensor timeouts and "sensor moved" errors.

I thought so to, until this morning.  I have been working with Oculus support regarding this issue for a couple of weeks, this morning I got a email from support asking these points

A short video demonstrating the issue, if possible.
  • Your Rift serial number from the box (starts with 'WMVR' or 'WMPV').
  • Your Rift headset serial number (starts with 'WMHD')
  • Your full name.
  • Your shipping address.

• They would appear to be getting ready to possibly ship out another Rift to me ?
    If they do this will be me third CV1.

tellmike
    Protege
    Ok, I played around with my sensor setup a bit this evening and have got rid of the height glitches (for now!). I changed the angle of the rear sensor (3rd sensor) so it was tilted higher - now it's roughly targeting my belt/hips. So it was actually pretty low before. I also turned the camera more towards the center of my play area, rather than having it angled towards the edge (I wanted to cover a bigger area, but that might have been bad). 

I played some Arizona Sunshine (Horde mode - 360 degree action) and didn't experience any hight glitches at all during the 40 min of gameplay. Nor did I experience any severe tracking glitches on my touch controllers either.

I will try to reorient the sensors a bit more to see if I can get better tracking of the touch controllers when facing backwards - towards the rear sensor - since the controllers can still drift slightly/loose tracking when only the rear camera can see them.

So right now it actually works pretty ok. Also, I moved the headset slightly higher so that my eyes are in perfect center of the lenses, and that reduces the small shift in perspective while fully turning around - so now it's almost not noticable! Massive improvment never the less.

So thanks for the tip @Phil007!

will84
    Expert Protege
    @tellmike

just out of interest mate did you do a reboot or turn off your system then test to see if the glitch came back?

I ask because I have been lucky on a few occasions and had no glitching, very few I will add like 1 in a 100 lol.

A reboot or complete power down and the bug or whatever it is, returns.

tellmike
    Protege
    @will84

I didn't reboot to see if the problem would return. Will probably notice it tomorrow or friday when I'll be using it again. Will report back of how it went.

Cheers

JesseDeya
    Expert Protege

Zandil said:
    It will be fixed, it's just a matter of them getting to the bottom of it.  I have had Touch and 2 sensors since they were released and this issue has only started since Xmas update went live to Home for me, so I'd make a guess that it's a software issue.

If in the extremely unlikely event they can't fix it, I'm sure there will be refund available.  

I sure hope you're right. I got my Touch before Christmas but didn't have a chance to use until January - I've spent a lot of time trying to rule out my setup but I'm confident now that it's a software thing.

Come on Oculus, this should be your absolute priority right now, your latest hardware is basically broken due to a software fault.
    kzintzi said:
    similar for me - I've put a cloth over the second sensor and I just play Elite ATM - trying to play anything in touch just doesn't work.. waiting patiently since it's January and all, but I really want to be able to use Touch again.
    Yup, back to Elite. Suck too because I was really enjoying the Touch, especially Arizona Sunshine - between glitches.

Iceburn26
    Explorer

Support have contacted me last night to say they are working on a software solution to the height glitching issue. 

I'm hoping a patch will roll out by the end of the month.

So it's just wait patiently / play without touch for another week or two until this is sorted.

JesseDeya
    Expert Protege

Iceburn26 said:

Support have contacted me last night to say they are working on a software solution to the height glitching issue. 

I'm hoping a patch will roll out by the end of the month.

So it's just wait patiently / play without touch for another week or two until this is sorted.

@Iceburn26 Thanks for letting us know, I feel a bit better now know a fix is on the way. Any chance you could share the details of the support message specifically?

Iceburn26
    Explorer

@JesseDeya I've been trouble shooting this issue since 30th December, I'd just put a new graphics card in my rig, so thought it was that at first. To cut a VERY long story short, I've done everything from test my setup on 3 different computers, change all the camera configurations, windows re-install, etc...

The only thing that worked was to go to a one sensor setup (didn't matter which one of my 3 sensors either), and not use my touch.

I've been detailing everything I've done with oculus support, in the hope that they would be able to advise me on something I hadn't tried, or I'd sort the issue out and the data I'd collected might have some help for other oculus users having the same problems.

A friend of mine has an almost identical setup in terms of PC and sensors, and he's had no problems at all, so I was starting to think it could be a issue with the hardware, except my problem started almost the exact same time as other people have reported, and my sensor and HMD work in non-touch setup.

Oculus support have been in regular contact since my first message on 30/12/2016 too, and I've been speaking to them nearly everyday as I've been quite willing to do some trouble shooting to get my rift touch back in action.

Oculus contacted me yesterday, and said thanks for all the info and sorry I'd been having this problem. They have said:

"The behaviour you've reported appears to be an issue we are currently tracking. Our engineers are aware of this, and we're working hard to release a software enhancement which should help to address this behaviour. We aim for this release some time near the end of this month".

So they are aware of the issue, could be they are having trouble replicating this at their end but not sure. I'm just waiting now and hopefully i'll see you all in the rift again next week or the week after 🙂

JesseDeya
    Expert Protege
    @Iceburn26 Awesome, thanks for sharing. Our of curiosity, what are your hardware specs? (CPU, Motherboard, GFX card etc).

Anonymous
    Not applicable
    Just chiming in - I am also having this issue.

- I think it has to do with the way it maps the location base off the cameras. 1-2 even 3 didn't seem to have as much trouble as lets say 4. More or less I think the system might need some counter weight to know or trust a senor more than another for tracking. One thing - if the tracking says, "hey, they moved enough we have to move the current camera" - then have it recheck again to make sure.