cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Disappointed with Rift CV1 Compared to Gear VR

thekjun1
Sightseer
With the Huge Price Difference I really expected more in the store on the Rift, Seems to me that the Gear VR has better Apps and more to choose from, If it was not for the overheating problem I would use the Gear more often.  Milk Vr is a fantastic Video App that would be nice on the Rift, wheres Netflix App?, have to Use the virtual Desktop to view. Most of the games on the rift are very short or demo's and Videos to me seem to be lacking in video quality compared to the gear. I do love the touch controllers on the rift and find the games entertaining, my problem though is after a couple of weeks I have found the game or apps no longer entertaining or useful, now I am not saying all the games and Apps are like this but most are.  compared to $99 for the Gear Vr and the Rift at $800 not to mention the $2000 for the computer I really would love to see more from the Rift. I was around for the first Oculus release even got me one but back then, I guess what I am asking is can you start releasing a upcoming list of games and Apps with release dates of when to expect them, besides Oculus Store and Steam store is there any other ways to get more. 
24 REPLIES 24

Comic_Book_Guy
Superstar
haha wut

Lets see a smart phone play PC VR games on high settings at 90fps....

Mobile VR is good for 360 videos and that's about it. I'm not sure why you're comparing the two.

Phaserlight
Heroic Explorer

haha wut

Lets see a smart phone play PC VR games on high settings at 90fps....

Mobile VR is good for 360 videos and that's about it. I'm not sure why you're comparing the two.

The Gear has some worthwhile non-video content as well:

Darknet
Dreadhalls
JUMP
Vendetta Online VR
Minecraft Gear VR
BombSquad
Dead Secret
Esper 2

The above eight come readily to mind.  For some additional "top ten" lists regarding the Gear, see

http://imgur.com/a/HcC0Q

and

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Cqb2tg4eWAc

god_alom
Adventurer
I agree with daddoofly82

Zenbane
MVP
MVP

thekjun1 said:

Milk Vr is a fantastic Video App that would be nice on the Rift, wheres Netflix App?, have to Use the virtual Desktop to view.

Have you actually used a Rift, Virtual Desktop, and watched Netflix? Your post seems to have a lot of second-hand information. Like... you Googled "how to watch Netflix with the Oculus Rift," and then came to make a post as though you've experienced it. You clearly haven't, because watching Netflix on Virtual Desktop is amazing. It is also amazing while using Big Screen, but you didn't even mention that... and you even stated that a person "have to use Virtual Desktop." And that is wrong. Big Screen is free and is just as great an option.

I can actually function with my day job using my Rift thanks to Big Screen and Virtual Desktop, since I'm a software developer and all of my programming and database tools look beautiful in the Rift as I work while floating near Saturn or in the middle of a space Nebula.

oh but Milk VR is cool? lol

I can play StarCraft, Diablo, WarCraft, Baldurs Gate, IceWind Dale, the entire Witcher series, Skyrim, Morrowind, and just about every other PC game ever made in my Rift. And I don't even have to use either Big Screen or Virtual Desktop, I can also use the Steam VR gaming theater. And also play every game available on Steam in there.

The lesson here is that anything can appear to suck if used terribly. For example: walking is better than using a motor vehicle... if you never actually put the motor vehicle in gear to move forward.

RedRizla
Honored Visionary
I think all the OP is saying is that he expected to see more in the Oculus store. When Oculus first started out they constantly spoke about seated experiences and we're concerned about standing ones. That's why I purchased the Rift and not the Vive so that I could have more seated experiences. Apart from the new touch games there's hardly being anything released that I can sit and play with my Xbox controller.

Zenbane
MVP
MVP
No I think that is just how you re-interpreted what the OP actually said @lovethis

He specifically asked for a Netflix "app" even though we can already watch Netflix in a more powerful way. That isn't "more" at all, that is the same thing in a lesser form.

The Oculus Store has a plethora of great titles, and PC-based VR far exceeds the mobile equivalent. For example, games like Elite Dangerous and Onward have created their own cultures. In contrast to mobile VR titles that are little more than instant gratification extensions of their 2D counterparts.

Anonymous
Not applicable

Zenbane said:

thekjun1 said:

Milk Vr is a fantastic Video App that would be nice on the Rift, wheres Netflix App?, have to Use the virtual Desktop to view.

Have you actually used a Rift, Virtual Desktop, and watched Netflix? Your post seems to have a lot of second-hand information. Like... you Googled "how to watch Netflix with the Oculus Rift," and then came to make a post as though you've experienced it. You clearly haven't, because watching Netflix on Virtual Desktop is amazing. It is also amazing while using Big Screen, but you didn't even mention that... and you even stated that a person "have to use Virtual Desktop." And that is wrong. Big Screen is free and is just as great an option.

I can actually function with my day job using my Rift thanks to Big Screen and Virtual Desktop, since I'm a software developer and all of my programming and database tools look beautiful in the Rift as I work while floating near Saturn or in the middle of a space Nebula.

oh but Milk VR is cool? lol

I can play StarCraft, Diablo, WarCraft, Baldurs Gate, IceWind Dale, the entire Witcher series, Skyrim, Morrowind, and just about every other PC game ever made in my Rift. And I don't even have to use either Big Screen or Virtual Desktop, I can also use the Steam VR gaming theater. And also play every game available on Steam in there.

The lesson here is that anything can appear to suck if used terribly. For example: walking is better than using a motor vehicle... if you never actually put the motor vehicle in gear to move forward.

You must have mastered all the keys on your keyboard. I still have to peek out of my headset in VR Desktop from time to time.

Phaserlight
Heroic Explorer

Zenbane said:

No I think that is just how you re-interpreted what the OP actually said @lovethis

He specifically asked for a Netflix "app" even though we can already watch Netflix in a more powerful way. That isn't "more" at all, that is the same thing in a lesser form.

The Oculus Store has a plethora of great titles, and PC-based VR far exceeds the mobile equivalent. For example, games like Elite Dangerous and Onward have created their own cultures. In contrast to mobile VR titles that are little more than instant gratification extensions of their 2D counterparts.

Some are like this, certainly.  However, some Gear VR titles hold a surprising amount of depth.  I didn't approach Gear VR thinking 'this is going to be like mobile games, but VR!'; I expected a full VR experience, and that was more or less what I got.  Certain titles, such as Minecraft Gear VR and Vendetta Online VR, easily have thousands of hours of deep playability (neither are remotely what I would call "instant gratification").  Others, such as Dreadhalls, Dead Secret and JUMP (and many others), while far reduced in scope from a standard full-release PC game, are fun enough in and of themselves that they are ported over to Rift (and / or Vive).

I'd also suggest that some 'mobile games', let alone VR, have their own culture as well; Angry Birds has its own movie, now.  Rovio also sells T-shirts:

https://goo.gl/photos/JACPnwSfLULTLrPE8

Among some critics, The Banner Saga was received quite favorably; it's a very nice work of apocalyptic fantasy, and I am currently playing through it on my S6.

Zenbane
MVP
MVP

arttek said:
You must have mastered all the keys on your keyboard. I still have to peek out of my headset in VR Desktop from time to time.

I spent too much time in front of a keyboard. College twice (2 degrees), and over 15 years as a software engineer. I'm feel fortunate that my hands don't need surgery yet lol

Phaserlight said:
Some are like this, certainly.  However, some Gear VR titles hold a surprising amount of depth. .

I have no doubt that Mobile VR can bring users in to a VR experience beyond mere quick enjoyment. My previous post was less about diminishing the value of mobile VR, and more about keeping PCVR in proper perspective.

The things we can do with the Rift far exceed the Oculus store; which makes the title of this thread absurd.

Also, it's important to keep in mind that Oculus isn't responsible for a lot of what's being said here:

1) Oculus can't make their own Netflix app; Netflix belongs to Netflix.

2) Oculus can automatically port over Gear VR app's to the Rift; the developers of these app's need to do so.

There are not enough Rift and Vive owners screaming about the need to port mobile VR over to PCVR, because those of us who invested in PCVR want something grander. Mobile VR will have its place, but it will always come second to PCVR, and possibly third if we count console-VR.