cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Disappointed with Rift CV1 Compared to Gear VR

thekjun1
Sightseer
With the Huge Price Difference I really expected more in the store on the Rift, Seems to me that the Gear VR has better Apps and more to choose from, If it was not for the overheating problem I would use the Gear more often.  Milk Vr is a fantastic Video App that would be nice on the Rift, wheres Netflix App?, have to Use the virtual Desktop to view. Most of the games on the rift are very short or demo's and Videos to me seem to be lacking in video quality compared to the gear. I do love the touch controllers on the rift and find the games entertaining, my problem though is after a couple of weeks I have found the game or apps no longer entertaining or useful, now I am not saying all the games and Apps are like this but most are.  compared to $99 for the Gear Vr and the Rift at $800 not to mention the $2000 for the computer I really would love to see more from the Rift. I was around for the first Oculus release even got me one but back then, I guess what I am asking is can you start releasing a upcoming list of games and Apps with release dates of when to expect them, besides Oculus Store and Steam store is there any other ways to get more. 
24 REPLIES 24

falken76
Expert Consultant

arttek said:

Zenbane said:

thekjun1 said:

Milk Vr is a fantastic Video App that would be nice on the Rift, wheres Netflix App?, have to Use the virtual Desktop to view.

Have you actually used a Rift, Virtual Desktop, and watched Netflix? Your post seems to have a lot of second-hand information. Like... you Googled "how to watch Netflix with the Oculus Rift," and then came to make a post as though you've experienced it. You clearly haven't, because watching Netflix on Virtual Desktop is amazing. It is also amazing while using Big Screen, but you didn't even mention that... and you even stated that a person "have to use Virtual Desktop." And that is wrong. Big Screen is free and is just as great an option.

I can actually function with my day job using my Rift thanks to Big Screen and Virtual Desktop, since I'm a software developer and all of my programming and database tools look beautiful in the Rift as I work while floating near Saturn or in the middle of a space Nebula.

oh but Milk VR is cool? lol

I can play StarCraft, Diablo, WarCraft, Baldurs Gate, IceWind Dale, the entire Witcher series, Skyrim, Morrowind, and just about every other PC game ever made in my Rift. And I don't even have to use either Big Screen or Virtual Desktop, I can also use the Steam VR gaming theater. And also play every game available on Steam in there.

The lesson here is that anything can appear to suck if used terribly. For example: walking is better than using a motor vehicle... if you never actually put the motor vehicle in gear to move forward.

You must have mastered all the keys on your keyboard. I still have to peek out of my headset in VR Desktop from time to time.

Nobody knows how to touch type?  You just need to know where homerow is....

falken76
Expert Consultant
I can't speak for others, but I already had a PC that was capable because unlike the newest "generation"  I put value in an actual computer over a cell phone which I consider nothing more than a clumbsy tool to use while away from your production enviornement.  I absolutely hate the simplistic games available on mobile which are all reduced to crap because the UI is always garbage for games IMHO.    Have you actually used Netflix on Virtual Desktop?  As mentioned above, Big screen is also an option and it is free.

I prefer the rift because it has access to the raw horsepower of a real PC while the Mobile VR is stuck using the weak power of a $700 phone.  (If you want to complain about price, focus on the cost of the actual phone needed for this, but with Interest free payoff via a contracted account people seem fine being in debt in 2 year increments until the next model with a .25 micron larger screen comes out and they restart the whole process again)

As far as the larger library, yes mobile is much larger and always will be because of the size of the installed user base.  I'm sure there are plenty of good games, so it really comes down to what you prefer.  I prefer a PC because I use my phone as a phone, not my go to for everything.

Phaserlight
Heroic Explorer

falken76 said:

I can't speak for others, but I already had a PC that was capable because unlike the newest "generation"  I put value in an actual computer over a cell phone which I consider nothing more than a clumbsy tool to use while away from your production enviornement.  I absolutely hate the simplistic games available on mobile which are all reduced to crap because the UI is always garbage for games IMHO.    Have you actually used Netflix on Virtual Desktop?  As mentioned above, Big screen is also an option and it is free.

I prefer the rift because it has access to the raw horsepower of a real PC while the Mobile VR is stuck using the weak power of a $700 phone.  (If you want to complain about price, focus on the cost of the actual phone needed for this, but with Interest free payoff via a contracted account people seem fine being in debt in 2 year increments until the next model with a .25 micron larger screen comes out and they restart the whole process again)

As far as the larger library, yes mobile is much larger and always will be because of the size of the installed user base.  I'm sure there are plenty of good games, so it really comes down to what you prefer.  I prefer a PC because I use my phone as a phone, not my go to for everything.

For someone complaining about "the newest "generation"", your post looks as though it were written by a raging teen...

"Always" = 100%

It only takes one exception to turn this statement on its head.

So, let's pick a relatively obscure example; please explain to me how the UI for Prune is "garbage".  I posit that it isn't; it accomplishes what is necessary for the design goals of the game quite elegantly.

As far as your rant regarding phone price and "horsepower", I got mine for $270 at Sears, paid in full.

I remember when my brother bought the PS2; the graphics seemed amazing back then.  I enjoyed wondering about where the future would take graphical computing.

Well...

f7o37pdm82ur.jpg

http://pages.experts-exchange.com/processing-power-compared/

Yes, I realize that a tricked-out PC will crunch many more floating point operations per second, especially if you have $10,000 to spend.  However, 36 year old me still finds it pretty amazing that in 2017 a multi-GHz virtual reality device fits in my pocket.

Zenbane
MVP
MVP

Phaserlight said:
For someone complaining about "the newest "generation"", your post looks as though it were written by a raging teen...

I disagree. falken clearly stated that it was only his opinion (one I happen to agree with), and the OP comes off more like a raging teen... as noted by his demanding of a Netflix VR app even though Netflix in VR is perfectly achievable today. Case in point: angry kids prefer app's for everything instead of taking some initiative themselves.

Also, was the UI for Prune link supposed to be satire?

"Prune is a love letter to trees. A game about the beauty and joy of cultivation."

Umm...  😘

Phaserlight
Heroic Explorer

Zenbane said:

Phaserlight said:

I disagree. falken clearly stated that it was only his opinion (one I happen to agree with), and the OP comes off more like a raging teen... as noted by his demanding of a Netflix VR app even though Netflix in VR is perfectly achievable today. Case in point: angry kids prefer app's for everything instead of taking some initiative themselves.

"Prune is a love letter to trees. A game about the beauty and joy of cultivation."

Umm...  😘

No, it wasn't intended to be satire.  @falken76 stated that "I absolutely hate the simplistic games available on mobile which are all reduced to crap because the UI is always garbage"

All... always...

To paraphrase Sir Conan Doyle, it only takes one exception to disprove the rule.

User Interface: "the means by which the user and a computer system interact, in particular the use of input devices and software."

People really do enjoy the art of bonsaiPrune emulates that.  Regardless of what you think of Prune as a game, however, falken's argument was contingent on all mobile UIs being "garbage".  Consider that a UI literally is the means by which a user and computer system interact re: software; it seems that a mobile UI with its touch-screen interface is ideal for a game about trimming away parts of a tree as it grows.  This is only one example, but again, let me remind you falken firmly stated "[mobile] UI is always garbage" (emphasis mine).

At this point, the logic of falken's argument more or less falls apart, as games like Prune show the opposite is sometimes the case.

Anonymous
Not applicable

falken76 said:

arttek said:

Zenbane said:

thekjun1 said:

Milk Vr is a fantastic Video App that would be nice on the Rift, wheres Netflix App?, have to Use the virtual Desktop to view.

Have you actually used a Rift, Virtual Desktop, and watched Netflix? Your post seems to have a lot of second-hand information. Like... you Googled "how to watch Netflix with the Oculus Rift," and then came to make a post as though you've experienced it. You clearly haven't, because watching Netflix on Virtual Desktop is amazing. It is also amazing while using Big Screen, but you didn't even mention that... and you even stated that a person "have to use Virtual Desktop." And that is wrong. Big Screen is free and is just as great an option.

I can actually function with my day job using my Rift thanks to Big Screen and Virtual Desktop, since I'm a software developer and all of my programming and database tools look beautiful in the Rift as I work while floating near Saturn or in the middle of a space Nebula.

I can play StarCraft, Diablo, WarCraft, Baldurs Gate, IceWind Dale, the entire Witcher series, Skyrim, Morrowind, and just about every other PC game ever made in my Rift. And I don't even have to use either Big Screen or Virtual Desktop, I can also use the Steam VR gaming theater. And also play every game available on Steam in there.

The lesson here is that anything can appear to suck if used terribly. For example: walking is better than using a motor vehicle... if you never actually put the motor vehicle in gear to move forward.

You must have mastered all the keys on your keyboard. I still have to peek out of my headset in VR Desktop from time to time.

Do you touch type while constantly using your mouse at the same time?We're talking about playing games. Where you're constantly using your mouse on one hand, and accessing a variety of keys with your left. I'm pretty sure that if you take a bunch of people who are relatively proficient at touch typing, blind fold them, and tell them to occasionally access right hand keys quickly with just their left hand, they'll probably have varied success rates.

falken76
Expert Consultant

Zenbane said:

Phaserlight said:

Umm...  😘

No, it wasn't intended to be satire.  @falken76 stated that "I absolutely hate the simplistic games available on mobile which are all reduced to crap because the UI is always garbage"

All... always...

To paraphrase Sir Conan Doyle, it only takes one exception to disprove the rule.

User Interface: "the means by which the user and a computer system interact, in particular the use of input devices and software."

People really do enjoy the art of bonsaiPrune emulates that.  Regardless of what you think of Prune as a game, however, falken's argument was contingent on all mobile UIs being "garbage".  Consider that a UI literally is the means by which a user and computer system interact re: software; it seems that a mobile UI with its touch-screen interface is ideal for a game about trimming away parts of a tree as it grows.  This is only one example, but again, let me remind you falken firmly stated "[mobile] UI is always garbage" (emphasis mine).

At this point, the logic of falken's argument more or less falls apart, as games like Prune show the opposite is sometimes the case.

If you are going to quote a sentence I wrote, be sure to include it all and not ommit the very point that Zenbane pointed out.  Here, I'll do the honor myself:

"I absolutely hate the simplistic games available on mobile which are all
reduced to crap because the UI is always garbage for games IMHO"

You seem to have conveniently left out the part in bold. 

The reason I have that Opinion is because I personally do not like the interface at all due specifically to being a touch screen.  I don't think they are well suited to control games.  That's how I feel about it.  Don't go on some tirade as though I'm stating this is a fact that everyone must agree with.

falken76
Expert Consultant

arttek said:

falken76 said:

arttek said:

Zenbane said:

thekjun1 said:

Do you touch type while constantly using your mouse at the same time?We're talking about playing games. Where you're constantly using your mouse on one hand, and accessing a variety of keys with your left. I'm pretty sure that if you take a bunch of people who are relatively proficient at touch typing, blind fold them, and tell them to occasionally access right hand keys quickly with just their left hand, they'll probably have varied success rates.

I'm not sure, never considered it because it didn't effect me since I know where homerow is and muscle memory just allows me to put my hands where they need to go weather I'm using the left or right hand.

Anonymous
Not applicable

falken76 said:

arttek said:

falken76 said:

arttek said:

Zenbane said:

thekjun1 said:

I'm not sure, never considered it because it didn't effect me since I know where homerow is and muscle memory just allows me to put my hands where they need to go weather I'm using the left or right hand.

Right, for normal typing this isn't an issue. The subject was based on games where quick access of various keys are necessary while moving the mouse simultaneously. A quick test would be to simply open up notepad, close your eyes, and with your left hand on homerow, quickly press the keys ". [ k m - F12" and see how accurate you are. These are just some examples of keys that games tend to use for various functions. That's the subject I'm referring to when needing to occasionally peak at my keyboard while using Virtual Desktop. 

Phaserlight
Heroic Explorer

falken76 said:

Zenbane said:

Phaserlight said:

Umm...  😘

All... always...

If you are going to quote a sentence I wrote, be sure to include it all and not ommit the very point that Zenbane pointed out.  Here, I'll do the honor myself:

"I absolutely hate the simplistic games available on mobile which are all
reduced to crap because the UI is always garbage for games IMHO"

You seem to have conveniently left out the part in bold. 

The reason I have that Opinion is because I personally do not like the interface at all due specifically to being a touch screen.  I don't think they are well suited to control games.  That's how I feel about it.  Don't go on some tirade as though I'm stating this is a fact that everyone must agree with.

I don't think I distorted what you were trying to say; wrapping up an argument with 'just my opinion' doesn't change the core of the argument. 

Not all opinions are equally valid, by the way. I wouldn't expect to have carte blanche to state "the Earth is flat, in my humble opinion" and go unanswered. 

If you had used more moderate terms, I might not have bothered to reply (go on a "tirade", as you claim). However, you made it clear that in your opinion, all mobile games are "reduced to crap" because the UI is "always garbage".

Extraordinary claims require extraordinary evidence. 

I didn't leave out any part of your post in my initial reply; I quoted it in its entirety.