cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Elite Dangerous: Friends Lists, Favorite Loadouts, etc.

CrashFu
Consultant
Consider this the thread to invite fellow Elite Dangerous players to join your friendslists, on Oculus Home or Steam (to keep track of when people on either platform are playing), and of course within the game itself.

My screenname is the same on all three as it is here. You're all welcome to add me. :wink:

If I'm online and in the general vicinity of your system, I'll probably be willing to wing up if I'm not already working on specific plans.

Currently I'm running a Viper mk4, and I don't expect that to change any time soon. Really love that ship. I never install a shield on it; I just keep the armor reinforced and the heat output low so I can go in and out of Silent Running with no penalty; basically I use it as a 300 ton stealth fighter.

My most common weapon loadout is two medium burst lasers, fixed (modded for efficiency. Plan to get the Kinetic upgrade on 'em) and two small cannons, gimballed. (modded for short-range blaster. Trying to get either Force or High Yield upgrade on them).

I've also been experimenting with two small gimballed pulse lasers (modded for Focus, IE 5k+ range and boosted armor penetration,  one of them can scramble modules randomly)  and two medium fixed multicannons (rapid fire).    Seems to be a pretty effective set-up.

When I do acquire another ship, it'll probably be a Transport or Explorer of some sort.  Something I can either jump really far in or carry a lot of cargo, or both, especially if I can outfit it as a more effective mining vessel than I can my Viper.
It's hard being the voice of reason when you're surrounded by unreasonable people.
859 REPLIES 859

CrashFu
Consultant
From what I've heard, the alien malfunctions are caused solely by "Unidentified Artifacts" being sold to the station in a large enough quantity.  There's even a term in the community, "UA Bombing" to describe intentionally dumping a bunch onto a station in order to disable its facilities.

The more I read on this, the more interesting it is. Apparently these artefacts, when dropped, point towards a specific system.. one of the ones I've been checking out on my recent hunt for Meta-Alloys.  And dropped within that system they point to a specific planet. There's a bunch of other weirdness that has yet to be fully solved by the community, such as data hidden in audio files and symbols on the alien structures (aka barnacles) that I wasted most of the evening trying in vain to find.

Well, waste in terms of profit. It's always fun to go driving around craters in the SRV.  :tongue:   Well, 50% driving 50% tumbling out of control, lol.    Good thing I can synthesize SRV repairs on the fly.
It's hard being the voice of reason when you're surrounded by unreasonable people.

Anonymous
Not applicable
Commander Drak Blackstar here. 

I usually play in Mobius, a (huge) private group for PVE.
I am based at HR-571 (not really an interesting name for a home system).
I fly around with either my ASP Explorer, carrying rich passengers, or with my Imperial Clipper hauling cargo.

Working up to the Imperial Cutter at the moment, just 82% empire rank to go (and a bit of cash to outfit the ship properly).

Jokergod2000
Adventurer
You can still shoot the aliens before they jump but they do not take damage. If you crash into them (with a fast ship) you die in the impact.

I use all overcharged multicannons but my huge hardpoint uses incendiary rounds for 100% thermal damage. My small hardpoints use corrosive rounds to soften the hull. Before the recent update I was doing over 200 DPS (177 Now). Small ships rated less than deadly last under 2 seconds from full shields to no hull.

I never plot only scoopable unless I have a very small tank but if I run low on gas I check my next jump and manually plot a fuel stop so I don't run out. That being said, in a 15 jump run I doubt it would add more than 1 jump to plot only scoopable stars; there are a lot of them.

I'm mostly working on CQC ranking now but my Oculus has been gone for a few weeks due to an audio issue. It's ready for pickup now so I'm gonna play the hell out of it tonight! 🙂 (God I hope there is nothing wrong with it)

CrashFu
Consultant
By the way, any of you guys been down by the Maia and Merope systems, in the Pleiades sector?

I encountered a specific Pleiades system (I forget the exact letters and numbers, but I have it bookmarked in-game), which at first didn't seem special in any way... but then I noticed that my discovery scanner was working at a fraction of its normal range, and my surface scanner wasn't working at all, I was nearly into Orbital Cruise distance of the planets, facing them, and still could not initiate a surface scan. The system's star was the only exception.   There was also a very hostile Imperial Dreadnought that immediately destroyed a friendly commander I had just met and was traveling with, without provocation. He reported this hostility as curious, because his relations with the Empire were neutral, but certainly not hostile.   I... decided not to check the dreadnought out for myself.

Seems like quite the tantalizing mystery; I've got some personal business back in more civilized space, but I'm eager to return there and poke around a bit more.  Maybe land on one of those planets I couldn't scan and see if I find anything unusual.

If anyone else is interested, I'll copy down the exact name of the system next time I'm playing, and share it here.  Just, y'know.. watch out for that Dreadnought. And pirates. Lawless space and all that.

kojack
MVP
MVP
That sounds very intriguing, I wouldn't mind that system name. 🙂
I don't think I'll take my Python there though, maybe a cheaper to replace ship.

Author: Oculus Monitor,  Auto Oculus Touch,  Forum Dark Mode, Phantom Touch Remover,  X-Plane Fixer
Hardware: Threadripper 1950x, MSI Gaming Trio 2080TI, Asrock X399 Taich
Headsets: Wrap 1200VR, DK1, DK2, CV1, Rift-S, GearVR, Go, Quest, Quest 2, Reverb G2

Anonymous
Not applicable
Same here, it sounds intriguing!

CrashFu
Consultant
Okay, looks like the system is: PLEIADES SECTOR AB-W B2-4

Taking another look at the system map, looks like it has 4 planets, 3 of which can be landed on... and surprisingly enough, it looks like one of them actually has a settlement with most if not all station services available.

I just acquired some very nice equipment mods from Felicity Farseer that should make the trip over there easier for me the second time (noteably, I increased my jump distance from about ~17 to ~25, and that's with a bunch of armor and weapons on-board.)   Also, I decided to invest a cool million in upgrading my scanner from Intermediate to Advanced.  That should come in handy, eh?

Anyone who wants to tag along when I head down there and help me explore is welcome to.

P.S.    According to a quick google search, apparently there's a known alien crash site somewhere in that system.  Maybe that's what the Imperial Dreadnought was guarding?  Don't know if there's anything to be gained by visiting it, but it should make for good sightseeing, eh?

Anonymous
Not applicable
Cool, I can jump there without refueling.. If I make 76 jumps 😄 I'll take the less economical routes and scoop a bit, I guess 🙂

By the way, is it possible to plan routes over 1000 ly? Because lots of my passengers want to go to places about 1300-1500 ly away, and I can't be sure I can get there (although with a jump distance of 26ly, I think I could get to most places).

CrashFu
Consultant

Drakkie said:

By the way, is it possible to plan routes over 1000 ly? Because lots of my passengers want to go to places about 1300-1500 ly away, and I can't be sure I can get there (although with a jump distance of 26ly, I think I could get to most places).

Not sure about the planning, but.. what's the likelihood of getting stuck in a cluster of unscoopables?  As long as you keep topping the tank off, I should think you'd have the chance to refuel at least every few jumps, right?  If there are sectors of space where hardly any of the stars can be scooped, that's news to me.

And dang, passengers want you to take them THAT far?  I hope they're paying millions for a trip like that.

kojack
MVP
MVP
I've entered the sector in my Asp Explorer. Let's see if anything freaky happens...
🙂
Author: Oculus Monitor,  Auto Oculus Touch,  Forum Dark Mode, Phantom Touch Remover,  X-Plane Fixer
Hardware: Threadripper 1950x, MSI Gaming Trio 2080TI, Asrock X399 Taich
Headsets: Wrap 1200VR, DK1, DK2, CV1, Rift-S, GearVR, Go, Quest, Quest 2, Reverb G2