New to the forums? Click here to read the "How To" Guide.

Developer? Click here to go to the Developer Forums.

Nintendo Switch Yay or Nay?

Comments

• cyberealitycybereality Posts: 26,156 Oculus Staff
    Yes, I will buy at some point
    AahhahahhAH!!!
    AMD Ryzen 7 1800X | MSI X370 Titanium | G.Skill 16GB DDR4 3200 | EVGA SuperNOVA 1000 | Corsair Hydro H110i
    Gigabyte RX Vega 64 x2 | Samsung 960 Evo M.2 500GB | Seagate FireCuda SSHD 2TB | Phanteks ENTHOO EVOLV
  • The_Hardboiled_OneThe_Hardboiled_One Posts: 38
    Brain Burst
    The Switch is very exciting and I wish it sells lots for Nintendo. That said, I do have some concerns, namely the online being up to par with PS4/XB1 and core game releases being more frequent.

• StairmandStairmand Posts: 103
    Art3mis
    No, Not interested at all
    I'll eat my own arse if this is a success. I suspect they will get a lot of early sales but they will drop off quickly. 

The problem as I see it, the Switch is competing not just with the xbox and PlayStation but also the iPad and mobile devices too. It's not good enough to beat the consoles and not enough battery life to compete with mobile devices,

IMO, the Switch is the worst part from all the other devices on the market squeezed together. If not for Nintendo's IP it would be DOA.
  • Paul_BlythePaul_Blythe Posts: 326
    Trinity
    The Q&A on Kotaku doesn't help Nintendo's cause much... Streaming apps like Netflix, Amazon or Hulu wont be supported at launch. Plus a lot of "We have nothing to announce at this time" for some key areas like virtual console...
    Windows 10 Home 64-bit | Intel i5 7600K 4.7GHz | Gigabyte GA-Z270-HD3P | 16GB 3000MHz DDR4 |128GB M.2 NVMe SSD primery | 2TB HDD secondary | Gigabyte G1 Gaming GTX1070 | 32" 3840x2160 - monitor 1 | 34" 3440x1440 - monitor 2 | OR CV-1
    I don't care, I'm really excited and I want one. 
    AMD Ryzen 7 1800X | MSI X370 Titanium | G.Skill 16GB DDR4 3200 | EVGA SuperNOVA 1000 | Corsair Hydro H110i
    Gigabyte RX Vega 64 x2 | Samsung 960 Evo M.2 500GB | Seagate FireCuda SSHD 2TB | Phanteks ENTHOO EVOLV
  • kojackkojack Posts: 7,211 Volunteer Moderator
    I'm more excited that the Pyra is about to enter manufacturing. It's the sequel to the Pandora.
    A cross between a nintendo ds and a linux laptop, but fits in your pocket and is designed for retro gaming.

Author: Oculus Monitor,  Auto Oculus Touch,  Oculus Forum Tool,  Phantom Touch Remover,  Forum Dark Mode,  X-Plane Fixer
    Hardware: Threadripper 1950x, MSI Gaming Trio 2080TI, Asrock X399 Taich
    Headsets: Wrap 1200VR, DK1, DK2, CV1, Rift-S, GearVR, Go, Quest, Quest 2, Reverb G2
  • Comic_Book_GuyComic_Book_Guy Posts: 1,212
    3Jane
    For $299, what the hell, I'll get one. Even just for Zelda and Mario it would probably be worth it. Not really concerned about the tech specs, I already have a PS4 Pro and banging PC if I want to play high-end games. So this will just be a fun little addition on the side.
    Exactly. I will be getting one, if not for me but for my youngest daughter. She's all over it.

Trinity
    Keep thinking I can get Zelda for the Wii U and save a lot of money. Then think, I'll have to get Switch anyway to play Xenoblade Chronicles 2 later in the year... as broad as it's long.
    Windows 10 Home 64-bit | Intel i5 7600K 4.7GHz | Gigabyte GA-Z270-HD3P | 16GB 3000MHz DDR4 |128GB M.2 NVMe SSD primery | 2TB HDD secondary | Gigabyte G1 Gaming GTX1070 | 32" 3840x2160 - monitor 1 | 34" 3440x1440 - monitor 2 | OR CV-1
  • kevinw729kevinw729 Posts: 5,907 Valuable Player
    The news of not running 1080p, and the need for a smartphone connection for game-chat just placed the tin hat on an already elaborate mess from Nintendo. Maybe the hoped rush for a March release is to try and address any buildup of bad news (such as a poor software list, or extortionate online game availability)?

The level of arrogance from the company had reached amazing proportions before the plane-wreck that was Wii-U (which some Nintendo execs will never admit was a failure).

The feather-bedding within NOA is amazing, to the point of pure incompetence seeing window seats a pay rise. But I think this could be the platform that breaks the board for the company's current executive pool. If they mess this up - then its a new change in governance, and that scares a lot of the old guard!
    Trinity
    Yes, not too keen on the idea of having to use a mobile app to organise friendly games and for voice chat ... If your doing local multiplayer that won't matter though. If the communities strong willed enough, Nintendo may well be forced into making a few changes.

Zelda will run at 720p & 30fps on Wii U, 900p & 30fps on Switch. If your playing mobile it'll be 720p anyway. Being 480p wasn't much of a drawback for the Wii ... It's game content that counts. 

OK, the games line-up for Switch isn't looking too hot, but you've got 4 or 5 huge IP's due this year. Plus a few potentials and 3rd party titles. With the Wii U, we were lucky to get 1 or 2 big games a year.

There's still a lot of unanswered questions surrounding the Switch, on the whole the hardware looks promising. Nintendo are saying they've learnt their lesson with the Wii U, but they're putting on a poor show so far.
    ....Nintendo are saying they've learnt their lesson with the Wii U, but they're putting on a poor show so far.
    I don't think they have @Paul_Blythe.

There is a schizophrenia within NOJ and NOA that paints an external picture of respect and understanding - but internally they treat everyone outside the organization as foolish and unworthy.

They have started out the gate with subterfuge regarding what the system can and can't do. They have used obfuscation to try and hide some uncomfortable truths about hardware limitations, and the idea of the mobile app seems to be the cherry on the top regarding building criticism.

I use the rule of thumb with Konami and Nintendo regarding the level of mess they have got themselves into when I see certain of the hardcore fanboys blindly defending the various companies latest faux pax. The fanboys are at full tilt currently, (gunning for critics like Jim Sterling).

All that said - this may be the first console brought by an audience just to play one or two games on it - if that is the case, then we are in a serious position from the future of the game console generation having seen an estimated 150m walk away from console to mobile (helped on their way by shenanigans like NOJ's arrogance)!
    Many of you may not be aware that Nintendo has entered my world and building on concepts in the theme park sector -  so they are getting special scrutiny from my sector currently. Be interesting to see if they abandon consumer sales and focus on IP push, if another downturn in console game revenue is one the horizon?
  • ZenbaneZenbane Posts: 16,879 Valuable Player
    kevinw729 said:
    Many of you may not be aware that Nintendo has entered my world and building on concepts in the theme park sector
    The first theme park was built in 1893 and VR begin in the 1930's.

I like how you try to claim both as yours lol

Well I created the Earth, so you are literally on my world.
    Are you a fan of the Myst games? Check out my Mod at http://www.mystrock.com/
    Catch me on Twitter: twitter.com/zenbane
  • Lemming1970Lemming1970 Posts: 681
    Neo
    Not Sure, Need to See More
    For $299, what the hell, I'll get one. Even just for Zelda and Mario it would probably be worth it. Not really concerned about the tech specs, I already have a PS4 Pro and banging PC if I want to play high-end games. So this will just be a fun little addition on the side.

Problem they have is your basically buying it for Zelda until the end of the year. They can't even be bothered making a new Mario kart, Just a re-mastered Mario kart 8, and as Zelda is coming out for the Wii U I see little point spending the money TBH. Which is the problem Nintendo have had for the last two generation too (both of which I have BTW)
    Modded Coolermaster RC-1000 Cosmos/1000W Corsair HX Series
    i7 6700k o/c to 4.7ghz Corsair H100i water cooler.
    Zotac 1080Ti
    16 gb DDR4 o/c to 3000mhz
    Predator XB271HU 27" 2560x1440 IPS G-Sync 165Hz
    edited January 2017
    Zenbane said:

I like how you try to claim both as yours lol
    I am master over all I survey!
  • AmphetamineAmphetamine Posts: 141
    Art3mis
    Hang on for E3 and see if Laura K Buzz is right with her prediction of Mother 3 being anounced at their press conference and available on the estore immediately after.
    Trinity
    Anyone met Nin-Zilla yet? A gift to those stuck trying to access the new 'My Nintendo' store front in Japan. 

• vlodatovlodato Posts: 132
    Art3mis
    Early adopting the switch is a very bad descision unless you have to play the new Zelda. There's nothing interesting coming out for it software wise. No new smash no new Pokémon no new Mario. You can say oh but Nintendo will release those games soon. Wellll I have absolutely 0 faith in Nintendo. The fact that Mario and Mario kart, their two most well known and important first party ips are coming so late to the game should be a huge red flag. Also since Zelda is basically the only pod game before the holiday season why not just wait till the holiday season for cheaper bundles and price drops. Don't forget the switch needs a memory card and potentionally a second controller. Add in some other accessories, a game and your entry price went from "$299" to $500+. A second set of joycons is $80. That's Insaine to me.
    vlodato said:
    Early adopting the switch is a very bad descision unless you have to play the new Zelda.
    Sir, that's like saying... "breathing is a very bad decision unless you have to live."

Link is a timeless hero.

• AmphetamineAmphetamine Posts: 141
    Art3mis
    vlodato said:
    The fact that Mario and Mario kart, their two most well known and important first party ips are coming so late to the game should be a huge red flag.
    Except that MK8 Delux is out within a month of the console launch. SM Odyssey isn't finished, that much is clear from the fact that they didn't have playable code at the press event. Personally I'd rather see it come out in the best state that it can be rather than tossed out half-arsed. Same reason that we're not playing Robo Recall right now, it's not ready yet.

Wait for E3, you might be surprised.

Zelda will be enough for me probably for a few months with how slow I play. And Mario at the end of the year is fine, that game looks awesome and I wouldn't want them to rush it.
    Trinity
    As far as I can tell, Arms is the only game you'll need a second set of Joy-cons for at the moment. So an extra set really aren't a day one purchase. Can't really argue against a memory card, as a there'll be a number of download only titles due, even on launch day. 

Apparently Zelda is a big game, so pretty sure it'll keep me busy until April 28th when MK8 Delux is due.
  • AndrewJ71AndrewJ71 Posts: 280
    Nexus 6
    So... A$160 for a second controller? WTF!!!???

Everything I heard was reporting that you can buy each joycon individually - or you can buy two together with the grip in a pack at a reduced price. But just looking at the main Aussie retailer, the pack contains a left and right joycon only (for A$120). The grip has to be purchased separately - another A$40.

I believe the joycon pack was US$70, but not sure what the price of the grip was.

https://ebgames.com.au/nintendo-switch-225675-Nintendo-Switch-Joy-Con-Grey-Controller-Set-Switch

Joy-Con Controller Set contains:
    • One Left Grey Joy-Con Controller
    • One Right Grey Joy-Con Controller
    • 2 Grey Joy-Con Wrist Straps
    Trinity
    Official prices for the Joy-cons are US$80 [pair], $50 [single] and $30 for the grip/charger. Then there's the Pro Controller at $70
  • AndrewJ71AndrewJ71 Posts: 280
    Nexus 6
    Yeah, so in U.S. prices, that means if you want a second controller (joycons plus grip) it's $110. Or $70 for the pro controller. The pro is definitely far more attractive. 
  • DarkTenkaDarkTenka Posts: 1,078
    Wintermute
    edited January 2017
    I'll admit that Zelda looks a little better than I thought it would be.. but not a system seller for me.

Sonic Mania looks great but last I checked its coming to PC anyway.

The new Super Mario looks decent I guess.

Aaand thats about it. My favorite Nintendo franchises Metroid and Starfox were both driven into the ground by completely idiotic game design choices made by the designers at Nintendo and I have no more faith in them as a games developer company.

The switch itself seems gimmicky for the sake of gimmicky as was both the Wii/Wii-U, and you can expect them to destroy your favorite franchises as well probably forcing some kind of waggle 2.0 mechanic into some game where it doesnt belong.

If they were to bring out a new Metroid Game I might change my my tune... and then probably be dissapointed all over again.. but until then, that thing can stay in the store shelves. (And no, Federation Force is NOT a Metroid Game)

Bit of a hard sell!
    Nice video.

Reggie pretty much hit the nail on the head when he said that Nintendo is all about "kids and families." This is the "fun" console that really shouldn't be treated as an XBox or PlayStation. Nintendo has never actively been part of the console wars. And Nintendo isn't the driving force in PC vs Console debates.

The Nintendo hardware and software franchise serves an entirely different purpose than to simply appeal to hardcore gamers. I am glad they are releasing the Switch; and I look forward to playing some Nintendo VR in the future.