cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

vrcinema3D

swlu
Explorer
Hey all,

I just found this awesome new virtual movie theater demo. I'm not the developer, but he's already made the demo available on his site, though its all in Korean! I don't speak/read Korean, so I used Google translate to read the docs. Here's links to his site and demo:

Site:
http://uxground.com/

Demo:
https://docs.google.com/file/d/0B6-3MLD_Wbqea1lNWTVDQ3dybUE/edit

From what I gather, the only way to play a file is if it's an .avi file called 'movie' placed in the same folder as the app. Obviously this is rather limiting, but hopefully he's working on a fix. Right-click brings up a menu where u can pick any seat in the theater, as well as choose to play 2D or 3D (SBS) content! Works really well, and the theater looks great. He's even got the light coming from the projector if u turn around. 360 controller moves u around, but doesn't seem to bring up the menu or ability to sit down.

Looks like he's also working on a (free!) horror game called "Nine Stones". Haven't seen either of these mentioned in these threads so I thought I'd share my findings. Enjoy!
329 REPLIES 329

drash
Heroic Explorer
Yup, eye sync problem is indeed fixed. That is so great!

Had a trippy moment just now -- watched a little bit of Tron Legacy 3D... and while I was seeing 3D, I started to try to look around myself as if the movie was VR. Then I thought "oh woops, I'm watching a 3D movie, not wearing the Rift" (said the guy wearing a Rift).
  • Titans of Space PLUS for Quest is now available on DrashVR.com

evil1
Honored Guest
I have created a file selector for this :-

You select the video file .avi, .mkv etc. and the program automatically creates a symbolic link file called movie.avi to the original file, it then launches the executable VR_Cinema.exe. when you close down vrcinema the file movie.avi is automatically deleted.

NOTES:

This program will only work on Windows Vista, 7, 8 and 8.1 (executable is compiled for 32bit so will work on both 32 and 64bit OS's) - XP does not support sym links.

The VR cinema executable needs to be called VR_Cinema.exe and you need to place the vrcin.exe file in the same folder as the VR cinema executable, the VR cinema folder needs to reside on a drive formatted with NTFS. The movie file that you select can be on a network share but the VR cinema executable cannot. This is because you cannot create a symbolic link on a network share.

The program requests admin rights because the mklink command requires elevated privileges.

All the program does is read the path and filename of the movie file you selected and then runs mklink movie.avi "path\to\original\movie\file" then after you exit vrcinema 3d it deletes the movie.avi (linked file)

If you run this program when there is already a file called movie.avi it will not be able to create the link so delete the movie.avi file first before running this program.

Link to vrcin.exe app below

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/s/hosqheyy4hdct65/vrcin.exe?token_hash=AAGH73b-668r2DXBrnJ7qdVi-pN...

I know this is a work around, but it sure beats copying and renaming files all the time.

EDIT - just noticed the file selector was only showing .MKV files, I have updated the file and it is now showing .AVI, .WMV, .MPG and .MKV

EDIT - 27-08-13 - Supports more extensions and does not delete the movie.avi file, it creates one if it does not exist (as before) and prompts you if one does (if movie.avi exists you will be asked if you want to replace it)

JonathanC
Honored Guest
Ok i don't understand how you can play other files than avi in the program. The unity plugin mentioned above cost 200$, i don't that kind of money to spend of this. I would love to watch Jurassic park 3d in the VRCinema but the file is mkv and i can't seem to make it work. I was thinking of converting it to avi using Handbreak but it seems Handbreak doesn't convert to avi anymore. Any suggestion/recommendation to play/convert my .mkv Jurassic Park movie? Thanks.

By the way, i tried just changing the extension, doesn't work, and yes i have CCCP codecs and ect, i can play the file on its own.

evil1
Honored Guest
I don't know what to tell you JonathanC other than that there is no need to convert from one format to another.
Any movie file that you place in the same folder as VR Cinema and rename to movie.avi will play fine as long as you have the correct codecs installed. Maybe you have file extensions hidden in the OS so that when you think you have renamed a file to movie.avi you have in fact named it to e.g. movie.mkv.avi, in this situation the OS will display the file as movie.avi but in fact the file is really named movie.mkv.avi.

Assuming you have renamed the file correctly then it should play back fine, if the virtual cinema screen is white then it is a codec issue and if the virtual cinema screen remains black then it is because the program (VR cinema) cannot see the movie.avi file (the reason for this I mentioned above).

Have you tried the application I posted above? this will create the file for you with the correct extension, at least this would rule out the OS hiding the extension.

drash
Heroic Explorer
"evil1" wrote:
I have created a file selector for this

This works great! Thank you for doing this. 🙂

"JonathanC" wrote:
The unity plugin mentioned above cost 200$, i don't that kind of money to spend of this.

I think that's just something the developer had to buy to make this play without eye-sync problems. End users like us don't need to pay for that (unless you wanted to donate to thank the developer of course).
  • Titans of Space PLUS for Quest is now available on DrashVR.com

evil1
Honored Guest
You're welcome drash, it only took me about 20 minutes max to code and compile :-), I should of done this when vrcinema was originally released.

Walky
Explorer
I made a video featuring the new 0.3 version, it shows most of the features:

madmick
Honored Guest
What video is that playing Walky it's awesome

Walky
Explorer
Weekender Girl, such a happy happy catchy song 😄
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=06d8SwcSm_Q

quintesse
Honored Guest
@evil1 : nice work, but could you maybe:

- not delete the movie.avi afterwards? (or make it an option)

- be able to somehow pass command line parameters to the VR_Cinema.exe (in my case I want to pass "-adpater 1")

- add a *.* filter in the file type dropdown because the current one is missing several file types (it doesn't let me select mp4s for example)

Cheers! 🙂