cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Hmd Tracking Stutters with more then one sensor

Gravity1368
Protege

I've been having a strange problem since i got my touches in, whenever im using more then one sensor my hmd tracking jumps when turning around with my back to the cameras.

I dont run into this when using just one sensor. I can turn around and the tracking is 100% solid, but the moment i plug sensor two back in the tracking jumps when i stop with my back to my sensors. This shouldnt be happening with the hmd I would understand if it was the controllers but the Rift has tracking lights on the back of it.

I've tried using every combination of usb ports and sensor placement, from up high on the ceiling to just on my desk still the problem remains. I even borrowed one of my buddies cameras to run the experimental setup, the irony is that the controllers track great with the three cams in roomscale but the hmd does not. Playing something like jobsim on steam I will turn around to grab something and the whole world shakes like someone is bumping my sensor.

I've spent the last two days trying everything I can think of but still nothing helps other then using just one sensor. The last thing I can think of trying is buying a usb card and see if that helps. Sorry for the wall of text but I've been beating my head against the wall trying to smooth out the hmd tracking just a little frustrated at this point.

151 REPLIES 151

will84
Expert Protege
Has Oculus made available to anyone a previous build to see if an update has caused the problem?

My usb ports are sore from all the in and out, so much so they crying out for lubricant lol.

I have tried everything including the inateck recommended card (which I can bet I never needed as the problem still won't go away)

Over a month now, can we have update on what is being done?

Dragonfrost
Protege
Here's my testing of this glitch as follows

3 Sensors on Fresco Hub (Inateck Card) Running at USB 3 is okay however i noticed my hands in VR will glitch in the fashion of the height glitch when turning 180 to face back sensor, and the height glitch randomly appears after awhile.

2 Sensors on Intel USB 3 and 1 Sensor (3rd Sensor) on Inateck Card, Immediate Height Bug and Touch Controller glitching when turning to face back sensor.

2 Sensors on Inateck Card 1 Sensor (3rd Sensor) in Asmedia USB 3.1, Delayed Height Bug, Touch controller glitching when turning to face back sensor.

2 Sensors on Intel USB 3 and 1 Sensor in Asmedia USB 3.1 (3rd Sensor), Delayed Height Bug, Touch Controller Glitching, Occasional Drifting when turning to face back sensor.

2 Sensors Intel USB 3 and 1 Sensor Intel USB 2 (3rd Sensor), Height Bug is much worse in this setup, Touch Controllers Drift and Glitch when turning 180 to face back sensor.

The delay i mentioned is about half a second. 

The glitch is very tempermental, If i reset the tracking there's no guarentee i can make it work and switching around the USB ports sometimes doesn't end up reproducing the same symptoms, sometimes the height glitch does not occur and sometimes it does however i can be sure it is much worse and present when the 3rd Sensor is on USB 2.0 rather than 3.0, it also does not seem to matter what USB hub you plug it into with the exception of all 3 sensors on the Inateck Card, the height glitch is not present at first however seems to reappear after awhile.

The USB Extension cables I use are as follows

1st Sensor (Left Sensor) 1 Meter Cable Matters USB 3.0 Extension Cable
2nd Sensor (Right Sensor) 2 Meter Cable Matters USB 3.0 Extension Cable 
3rd Sensor (Back Right Sensor) 5 Meter Cable Creation Active USB 3.0 Extension Cable

I have tested the USB 2.0 Monoprice cable included and it still glitches infact it is worse in USB 2.0, USB 3.0 seems to alleviate this glitch to an extent that is only my experience and everyone elses may be different. 

The Oculus Devices page does not show any errors except for the occasional (Wireless Sync) Error, which i believe is due to where i place my rift when not in use however i may be wrong.

It shows full USB 3.0 on all 3 Sensors and i am not getting any errors about bandwidth, if there is a way to thoroughly check if i am reaching the bandwidth of the Inateck card however i'd love to know. 

If you need anymore info i can provide, I simply want this glitch to be patched and enjoy my VR experience 🙂

Gravity1368
Protege
If anyone is running into issues with the recommended usb card try this out. Saw it last night and its gotten rid of any issues i was having. Going to try with a third sensor once I can borrow one again.

https://www.reddit.com/r/oculus/comments/5marst/anyone_else_extremely_dissapointed/dc2dahb/

metadane
Honored Guest
3 sensor inateck z170 mobo user here with this issue. Everyone should check their error logs and see if they get the "Sensor moved" error. I do, and so do many others.

Gaijin01
Explorer
I have tried every single fix here, except turning the sensors right side up, that's not an option for me. Only seems to happen when I turn my back to the sensors. Just wanted to log I am having the same trouble

loregnum
Adventurer
I have this issue (it's like in the youtube clip in First Contact posted early in the first page) and it is so damn annoying. It is random but I can count on it happening multiple times in a play session if I have to turn my head 90 or more degrees and it never happened with one sensor. I also get the sensor moved errors throughout my logs but they aren't moving since they are attached to rods that are tight between floor and ceiling and at around 6 feet high and right side up.

I sure hope this stuff can be fixed (sure seems like it is a software issue) since it is frustrating and is preventing me from getting a third sensor. Makes me kind of wish I went with the Vive if this is going to persist. Thankfully it hasn't prevented me from enjoying my gaming even if at times it has made me not turn my head around when I would otherwise like to be looking around behind me.

Flausn
Expert Protege

metadane said:

3 sensor inateck z170 mobo user here with this issue. Everyone should check their error logs and see if they get the "Sensor moved" error. I do, and so do many others.

i got the same board and 3 cams and the same annoing problem i want to use my rift again like before ....:( wth.

paulohotline
Explorer
Hello, I have also started having stuttering problems after adding a 4th sensor to my setup. Everything works fine but when my Touch controllers go to steep they stutter badly when they come back to activity. The way to correct to is to restart Oculus by going settings, BETA, restart Oculus. I will keep this thread posted if an upcoming software updated fixes this issue. Thanks! 
[Paulo Carvalho Mobile - 204-294-4389] http://www.pinballowners.com/paulohotline "Life is like pinball, your always trying to keep your balls in play, but in the end, they drop down the middle :)"

theoculigift
Honored Guest
Exactly the same problem here, the Oculus is totally unplayable with these repeated jumps, just like this video Callidus80 linked to above, shows the problem exactly:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CVElwsze650&feature=youtu.be

Tried every conceivable combination of USB ports, brand new system, fresh Windows 10, USB power management off.

ATTN OCULUS:
Oculus this should be your TOP priority. This is not even remotely playable.

Flausn
Expert Protege
5 weeks now with bad tracking thanks oculus !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!