cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Suggestion: Add game name to file download

Jose
Heroic Explorer
Currently the filenames of the downloads look randomized. Once there's more content on Share, and people start downloading games in batches, it might be hard for them to figure out which download is which game.

Maybe a format of: [developer]-[appname]-[platform].zip ?

Example:

cloudhead-the-gallery-six-elements-airworld-teaser-pc.zip

I know that's a long filename, but imo, it's probably more user-friendly than the random characters.
10 REPLIES 10

cybereality
Grand Champion
Yeah, I totally agree with this. Having random looking hashes for the file names is not user-friendly.
AMD Ryzen 7 1800X | MSI X370 Titanium | G.Skill 16GB DDR4 3200 | EVGA SuperNOVA 1000 | Corsair Hydro H110i Gigabyte RX Vega 64 x2 | Samsung 960 Evo M.2 500GB | Seagate FireCuda SSHD 2TB | Phanteks ENTHOO EVOLV

whoisonline
Explorer
"Jose" wrote:
Currently the filenames of the downloads look randomized. Once there's more content on Share, and people start downloading games in batches, it might be hard for them to figure out which download is which game.

Maybe a format of: [developer]-[appname]-[platform].zip ?

Example:

cloudhead-the-gallery-six-elements-airworld-teaser-pc.zip

I know that's a long filename, but imo, it's probably more user-friendly than the random characters.

Yes, I agree, and perhaps a version number too.

MrGeddings
Explorer
yeah agreed would be better then the cryptic names that is used now 😛

coasterpro
Honored Guest
I agree, but I would suggest simply [app name]-[version].zip. The reason being that some us use "Extract" from the contextual menu which automatically names the folder with the zip file name. "1377300026335dp071fw29-pc" is meaningless, but your suggestion would still require manually renaming the folder and it would be nice to avoid that.

2EyeGuy
Adventurer
I agree that it needs to include the name near the start of the filename. You may still need a unique identifier as well, in case two things have the same name, or in case there are different versions.

Chard6
Honored Guest
I asked one of the developers about this, unfortunately the backend requires those numbers, I suppose this is just a temporary solution.
Hammerhead & Hyperast Please spare us a like on social platforms: Facebook, Twitter

cybereality
Grand Champion
This may be technically possible, but there is a lot of other work needed to get the site fully operational right now, so it's not a high priority.
AMD Ryzen 7 1800X | MSI X370 Titanium | G.Skill 16GB DDR4 3200 | EVGA SuperNOVA 1000 | Corsair Hydro H110i Gigabyte RX Vega 64 x2 | Samsung 960 Evo M.2 500GB | Seagate FireCuda SSHD 2TB | Phanteks ENTHOO EVOLV

Jose
Heroic Explorer
I don't know when the change happened, but I just downloaded some games from Share and the game names are in the filename now. Thank you!

cybereality
Grand Champion
Yes. We made the change shortly after you requested it. Thanks.