Height glitching up and down - Page 6 — Oculus
New to the forums? Click here to read the "How To" Guide.

Developer? Click here to go to the Developer Forums.

Height glitching up and down

Comments

• TickTockTickTock Posts: 200
    Nexus 6
    edited January 2017
    [Edit: added quote - didn't realize this wasn't the last post - odd that the browser dumped me there when I entered the thread]
    metadane said:
    Epxzz said:
    The problem lies within the headset itself. I just tried the headset of a friend with the exact same setup/computer/USB ports and it worked flawlessly! LED brightness is exact same for both headset (I did not check the frequencies).

This is a big problem: I spent hours and days trying to fix this stupid glitch. I was about to wipe my complete system making backups and reinstall windows. Then maybe buying extra hardware for other USB Ports.

Please give us an update on what will happen next.
    I heard there will be an update at the end of the month... but I really feel fooled again, two month without a fix?
    Can I just run this: https://forums.oculus.com/community/discussion/44368/is-your-rifts-view-tilted-slanted-heres-how-you-fix-it
    Will it the issue shown in this thread? Will it void warranty?

Sorry for sounding a bit impatient, but I bought the controllers, more than a month ago and every time I use them buggy like they are now I loose faith/trust in the Rift. I won't leave Steam for a while if things keep going like this.

A bit odd if this was the headset itself, as most of our error logs are showing sensor timeouts and "sensor moved" errors.
    Before I switched my sensors to upside right, I noticed that the guardian shifting was correlated to the location of the headset.  I could move to certain places and it would switch back to the correct position (erratically - I some times had to wave my arms and body around in the spot to get it to take) but in other places (including the center where I needed to stand to complete the sensor calibration) the guardian got shifted (which is odd since this is the location I stood when it first determined the sensor locations and orientation).  So either the HMD or the Touch controllers is involved (or both) so I can easily believe an HMD issue is contributing.  Switching the sensors upright eliminated the problem for me. 
    "I'm not crazy about reality, but it's still the only place to get a decent meal."
     -Groucho Marx
  • will84will84 Posts: 76
    Hiro Protagonist
    edited January 2017
    @cybereality

any news on if this is fixed in the update coming or if it is even being fixed?
  • KevinLongtimeKevinLongtime Posts: 283
    Nexus 6
    edited January 2017
    @will84  A January update should be coming sometime later this month. 
    Sorry about that. This is definitely a priority and we are taking all these reports seriously. In fact, we have a software patch releasing soon (probably later this month) that may resolve some of the issues. I'd recommend waiting a bit longer to see if the update helps with your case. Thanks.
  • FlausnFlausn Posts: 187
    Art3mis
    i want to use my rift again ??
  • JesseDeyaJesseDeya Posts: 91
    Hiro Protagonist
    So they've got about 5 days left.

Patience is wearing thin, though at least there has been some (albeit very brief) communication on the issue. 
  • bucheebuchee Posts: 9
    NerveGear
    Everybody running windows 10 with onboard intel usb 3 drivers I bet your running at usb2 speeds. Run usblyzer to find out and if it is then go to this site and install windows 7 intel usb 3 drivers. It will bump your speeds to the intended 5gbps usb 3 speeds. http://www.win-raid.com/t834f25-USB-Drivers-original-and-modded.html
  • FlausnFlausn Posts: 187
    Art3mis
    oculus home testes the usb speeds too the problem are not the usb drivers wehen everything shows its ok ??
  • JenkoLiteJenkoLite Posts: 2
    NerveGear
    Bought a 3rd sensor in the hopes of this being fixed but seems to be the same as with 2 sensor 360 degree setup. I hope the update in January fixes it otherwise may have to send my 3rd sensor back because I won't have any need for it.
  • ZandilZandil Posts: 975
    3Jane
    Come on...... update me baby
  • metadanemetadane Posts: 23
    Brain Burst
    I had a firmware update last night. Anybody else?
    Hiro Protagonist
    metadane said:
    I had a firmware update last night. Anybody else?

Nope,

Was it on the headset?

What is the version number?
  • Phil007Phil007 Posts: 56
    Hiro Protagonist
    I don't have the height glitching bug. But i can replicate it. 
    All three of my sensors are the same height. Always have been. Today i changed the height of my 3rd sensor at the back. Straight away, height glitches. If i faced the back and moved towards it. Glitch about 30cms. Turn to the front and walk forward. Glitches back to correct height. (This is after running the full set up twice to make sure everything was reset).

However, I have had a height problem in games. But not jumping like described above.
    In oculus home, the floor is in the correct position. But in dead and buried, unspoken etc, the in game floor is about 15cm too low. I don't understand why the floor in the games isn't the same height as the floor in Oculus home. 
  • dougchismdougchism Posts: 127
    Art3mis
    Well this probably not be fixed in the January patch, since it was just discovered on the forums recently that non-level sensors cause it, that info probably hasnt worked its way to the engineers yet. 

3Jane
    dougchism said:
    Well this probably not be fixed in the January patch, since it was just discovered on the forums recently that non-level sensors cause it, that info probably hasnt worked its way to the engineers yet. 

Any link to this information ?
  • YoLolo69YoLolo69 Posts: 1,111
    Wintermute
    I confirm I had those height glitches often when my 2 sensors front-facing had different level and angles. From the day I set them exactly same height and same vertical angle I didn't have any more those annoying glitches. It still happen sometimes like the other day during my 2 hours session of Arizona Sunshine, as it happened 2 times. But it's instant glitched lasting less than few frames and immediately fixed. Before that when they was different height and angles it happened really often, like once per minutes.

“Dreams feel real while we are in them, it's only when we wake up that we realize something was strange.” - Dom Cobb

"Be careful, if you are killed in real life you die in VR too." - TD_4242

I7 3770K OC 4.6GHz, GTX1080 OC 10%, 16GB DDR3 2448  OC, Oculus Rift CV1

• BEARDEDFIGNUTZBEARDEDFIGNUTZ Posts: 51
    Hiro Protagonist
    When I had two sensors setup for touch initially they were at different heights. Never had any issues. Issues only started to occur, and still only occur, when I have the third sensor setup.
    Hiro Protagonist
    Bump. Still waiting Oculus.

Comment if you are too.
  • hoochyukhoochyuk Posts: 330 Poster of the Week
    I do think it's poor how no official  word off oculus or even a clue of what there patch is fixing feel so sorry for those who's  £1000 + has left  them with an unplayable experiance
  • dougchismdougchism Posts: 127
    Art3mis
    So I played with 3 sensors this weekend. Spent a bit of time getting them all level ( stacking books and stuff for the 3rd sensor ). It worked great, zero height glitches. Maybe once or twice I briefly lost tracking in the opposite corner for an instant when I was exploring the range, but its vastly improved when facing the other direction. 

Hiro Protagonist
    My sensors are all the same height & angle; still jumps up and down when ever I face the back sensor then the front, so obviously it is something more.

Just don't release the patch till it's fixed cause this thread is gonna explode otherwise & I hope they have learnt their lesson & tested on at least a few of the affected configurations.

maybe they meant January 2018  :#
  • R0cksteddieR0cksteddie Posts: 28
    Brain Burst
    I've read some people believe the height glitch is down to a faulty HMD.  I bloody hope not as I really do no want to have to go down the RMA route with Oculus if I don't have to.  I actually bought mine from Amazon and even though its way outside their return window they may let me exchange for a new one if I have to as they've done it for me in the past. Anyway I just hope the patch sorts it and there is no need for a return!
    Hiro Protagonist
    I've read some people believe the height glitch is down to a faulty HMD

I have been reading the same.

@cybereality

I have a support ticket in for this asking this exact question regarding the IMU in the headset, is it possible to get clarification on this please.

thanks
    Hiro Protagonist
    I've read some people believe the height glitch is down to a faulty HMD. 
    Doesn't make sense when the HMD tracks great with one sensor?!

I can also get my system to glitch just using the Touch controllers during the setup/calibration phase, without the headset even in sight.
  • TMeXTMeX Posts: 5
    NerveGear

natemitchell

The January Rift update is taking a little longer than we expected in terms of testing. We're working to get it out to everyone as soon as possible. Appreciate everyone's patience. And yes, this means there's very likely two updates in February.

https://www.reddit.com/r/oculus/comments/5r40t7/any_news_on_the_endjanuary_tracking_update/dd4uwni/
    Brain Burst
    JesseDeya said:
    I've read some people believe the height glitch is down to a faulty HMD. 
    Doesn't make sense when the HMD tracks great with one sensor?!

I can also get my system to glitch just using the Touch controllers during the setup/calibration phase, without the headset even in sight.
    Well I tried an experiment and went back to one sensor only and I still am getting the height glitch and tracking stutter with the HMD, so maybe I personally do have a faulty headset.  I've not actually yet opened an official support ticket but I think its time I do this and see what support say.
  • kzintzikzintzi Posts: 1,068
    Wintermute
    @R0cksteddie, you should lodge a ticket - if you run the diagnostics first then upload them with your ticket I've found that they respond pretty quick - being polite helps too of course :smile:

Though you are more than slightly incoherent, I agree with you Madam,
    a plum is a terrible thing to do to a nostril.
    Brain Burst
    kzintzi said:
    @R0cksteddie, you should lodge a ticket - if you run the diagnostics first then upload them with your ticket I've found that they respond pretty quick - being polite helps too of course :smile:

I raised the ticket and I'm dealing with support now and have had quick responses so far :smile: .  I would always be polite as I used to work in support a long time ago and know what its like dealing with people.
  • kzintzikzintzi Posts: 1,068
    Wintermute
    likewise.. you lose nothing by being polite.. if nothing else it gives you somewhere to go when it doesn't go your way.. it's harder to play nice after being an #rse.
    Though you are more than slightly incoherent, I agree with you Madam,
    a plum is a terrible thing to do to a nostril.
    3Jane
    I have the Height issue with just the standard 2 front facing cameras and still waiting on the Patch to come through to Aus, can anyone confirm if the patch fixed this issue with 2 cameras ?
    Lots of talk on Reddit that the patch didn't make any difference ? 
  • Callidus80Callidus80 Posts: 24
    Brain Burst
    Hi @Zandil  I submitted the video on the second post of this thread and can say that the Height Glitch demonstrated there, for me at least, has been resolved with Oculus app version 1.11.0.335615 (1.11.0335772)!!!!!!! What a massive relief!!!!!

I now have an issue where that the guardian system is often in the wrong place but I'm relieved that I can use the Rift once again!