cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Motherboard suggestions?

Snow
Explorer
I'm having trouble selecting a motherboard for a new PC build that I plan on using for a Rift.

Which motherboards are relatively new and work well with the Rift?
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

JeremyC85
Heroic Explorer

elboffor said:

not asus, rift dont like asus

I also have an asus, the Z270-AR to be exact. Just made a brand new build with a i7 7700k and overclocked 1080. Works great so far

View solution in original post

20 REPLIES 20

elboffor
Consultant
This is my forum signature.
There are many others like it, but this is mine.

dougchism
Expert Protege

elboffor said:

I have an Asus and it works great. Its kinda old though, a Z77 Sabertooth. 

The best ones are made for the LGA  2011-v3 chipsets, some have over a dozen USB 3.0 ports on the back. The only problem is you will have to spring for a $1000 cpu. 

Asus, MSI and Gigabyte all make Z270 boards with 5+ combined USB 3 and 3.1 ports. Just look over the specs to see which has which. 

I am planning on building this spring and Im looking at a Asus Maximus IV Code Z270. 

elboffor
Consultant
I've always used asus boards. But I rarely hear people with none asus boards moaning. 
My current board is older than yours x55 saberrooth I believe.
This is my forum signature.
There are many others like it, but this is mine.

JeremyC85
Heroic Explorer

elboffor said:

I also have an asus, the Z270-AR to be exact. Just made a brand new build with a i7 7700k and overclocked 1080. Works great so far

JaimieVandenber
Heroic Explorer
I'm using an Asus (haha!) z170i, and so is my brother in law - zero issues so far with the onboard USBs and everything. 980ti for me, 1060 for him.

brackus1
Protege
I would get something with at least 5 USB 3.0 ports in the rear, for starters.

If you have a headset with 2 sensors, then you've already used up 3 USB ports.  And if you have other USB devices,  like printers or scanners, then that's a total of at least 5 right there.  Want 4 sensors?  Hey, you're running out of ports. 🙂

RedRizla
Honored Visionary

JeremyC85
Heroic Explorer

brackus1 said:

I would get something with at least 5 USB 3.0 ports in the rear, for starters.

If you have a headset with 2 sensors, then you've already used up 3 USB ports.  And if you have other USB devices,  like printers or scanners, then that's a total of at least 5 right there.  Want 4 sensors?  Hey, you're running out of ports. 🙂

Agreed. But don't let that limit your choices, usually the case will have 2-3 USB ports and you can always add a USB card if you need more. My MB cake with 5, I have two additional on the case itself, and an expansion card with four more. Lol I should be good 

cybereality
Grand Champion
I've heard issues with Asus drivers, but I'm using an X99-Deluxe at home and things are working great.
AMD Ryzen 7 1800X | MSI X370 Titanium | G.Skill 16GB DDR4 3200 | EVGA SuperNOVA 1000 | Corsair Hydro H110i Gigabyte RX Vega 64 x2 | Samsung 960 Evo M.2 500GB | Seagate FireCuda SSHD 2TB | Phanteks ENTHOO EVOLV