cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How to: 3 Point Lighting straight out of Medium

P3nT4gR4m
Consultant
toxm8h2tcosk.jpg

In photo mode pull up the camera settings and set "Attach" to off. Line up the framing and fov you want then jump into scene editor and place your key light. Go back into camera mode and take the photo. Very important - do not touch anything apart from the trigger in camera mode from here on in if you move the view, even half a pixel the baddies will win.

hsag7f4dbt8d.jpg

Bounce back to scene edit and position the light behind for backlighting. Change the brightness, change the colour. Back into photo mode (remember do not move anything) Take the shot

gicg5npypnxf.jpg

One last time, hop over to scene edit, dim the light down, tweak the colour, shine it on the bits that were black in the last two shots, Boom - Fill light. One last trip to camera mode. DO NOT TOUCH A GODDAMN THING!!! (we're almost done - don't want to ruin it now) Just take the shot and get out of there.

896tzinrbozl.jpg

Exit camera mode. Exit Medium. Pull up photoshop and load in the first png. 

Load in the other two as new layers and set the blend mode for both of these to "Lighten" in the Layers Panel

4257ajzgzht1.jpg

Enjoy!

18 REPLIES 18

ozelon
Protege
Cool, I like that idea. Kinda like render passes. Can also be used for material passes I guess.

P3nT4gR4m
Consultant
@ozelon - render passes is totally what made me think of it. I've used backlighting on a couple of sculpts and it always annoyed me that the only option for fill lighting is ambient. I wanted something that didn't require lengthy hand painting in photoshop or having to import into a rendering package. I think I'll have a play with this, this weekend and see how far I can take it. Should get interesting when alternative blend modes and layer masking come into play.

southerngfx
Adventurer
Fantastic post. I'll be trying this out this weekend. I love locking that internal camera for snaps.

southerngfx
Adventurer
Great technique. I'm going to try doing some material passes as you say. Being able to lock that internal camera makes all the difference

P3nT4gR4m
Consultant
@southerngfx - Just so you know, people who have Cintiqs drive me straight into jealous rage. Sticking pins in your effigy as we speak  :s

southerngfx
Adventurer
Ahh...sorry buddy. I'll turn it off and give it away right now.  Actually the 27" is a thing of beauty but you need to try the Mobile Studio Pro if you want the Creme de la Creme. That thing has made me not upgrade my mac for the first time in a decade. 

P3nT4gR4m
Consultant
Yeah, I have an intuos4 currently in mothballs, awaiting my spare room becoming available for use as a studio again. Always used to look at the cintiqs and wish I had one but that kind of money was always reserved for kayak-related purchases. The other love of my life.

nalex66
MVP
MVP
Nice technique, very clever! I'll give this a try. 

DK2, CV1, Go, Quest, Quest 2, Quest 3.

Try my game: Cyclops Island Demo

P3nT4gR4m
Consultant
8 layers of various blend mode, touch of masking, couple of Gaussian blurs and some twiddling on the opacity sliders. Apart from the layer masking I never drew a single thing on this. It's all Medium!

Have a look - .psd file here

ibgrqria1qzo.jpg