cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Why are reviews hidden prior to buying within the VR store? Here are some pointers...

Nonameo
Explorer
The whole point of having a review is totally lost to the buyer, if he/she cannot read it prior to buying!
Maybe this is a simple mistake that nobody has noticed yet. But it is a biggie! Ha ha. I mean, not much point being only able to read them in the store after you buy the game?! Please fix this, people want to be able to both read what others think before they buy and also maybe give you feed back as you can on Steam; "Not interested" "repetitive" etc
That way you can use the info to help developers?

Also, when you make a choice and look at a selection, your place is lost when you go back? Why?! Its very frustrating having to click through all the touch games to get back to were you were.

Further more, I must just say that I am totally blown away by how much rubbish there is on the store? As yet I have only found a handfull of great experiences like Elite, Subnautica, Project Cars, Quill, VTime, Farlands and Radial-G. These I can recommend with hand on heart. Great experiences that pull you in and have quality and thought behind them. Yet think there should be a set standard for some of the stuff thrown our way; like "The Impossible Travel Agency" you get to see 5 shots from the same location in the store, how wonderful, choice of music that only caters to 1% of the population and graphics that make you feel that you never left the editor!?

I had hoped to have used Googles Street View too, it was one of the biggest reasons for getting a Rift to start with. I wanted to roam the streets of Japan as if in first person, seeing the world would have been great.
Am I the only one missing this feature? 🙂

It was my time to moan! Yet please fix the reviews thing.
Also "Knock Out League" crashes constantly. Seems you need to keep your punches slow!

28 REPLIES 28

DarkTenka
Trustee

Nonameo said:

KillCard - Yeah, I did not mention "Super Hot VR" because I thought it was crap too; a white are were you get time slowed down so that you can shoot red dolls over and over again?!

All I can say is "try it". The original Super Hot was regarded by many as one of the best indie games of 2016, in VR what you lose in movement mobility is made up for in body mobility. The enemies/bullets etc only move when you move. So you constantly have to be aware of where all the bullets are coming from/ enemies are and freeze yourself until you figure out the correct way to move to dodge bullets or shoot the enemy. It allows you to basically be Neo from the matrix. The aesthetic it uses is explained in game.. but would be a semi spoiler if I were to explain it.

To be fair Super Hot is a pretty hyped game at this point, so it might not live up to the Hype but its still very good.
Arizona Sunshine I have not tried it, yet looked as if it was yet another stand still and shoot very slow zombies game? I will have to try it, yet only after I see a good review!

It's not a "stand still" wave shooter, it's probably the closest thing there is to a game like Half Life where it has a cinematic feel and you move from one area to the next while taking out enemies. It is slower than your traditional FPS, but it's intentional to give you a "survival feel" to it. It's all about using your ammo wisely and scavenging for ammo/food. Note that the video's might not yet show the free movement mode, it was just added to the game last week and it made the game way better.

As for Chronos, yes I will probably get that eventually, is the price worth it? How long is the game?
Chronos, is a more traditional game that probably could have been done easily on flat screen but is still employed well in VR imo. The game itself is one of the longer games on the store, I clocked around 12 hours in it on my first playthrough. A very solid 3rd person Action/adventure/RPG style game. Its a screen-by-screen adventure game, as you move from one area to the next the camera snaps to the next room. It's actually a fairly old method of gameplay from the mid 90's employed in games like Alone in the Dark, BioForge, Time Commando, Ecstatica etc.. this made Chronos a wierd pseudo nostalgic but new game that is unlike anything else in VR or in Flat for that matter.

I know its early days yet, yet given the price tag on the Oculus along with the PC boost, I expected better games than "Fruit Ninja" and "Dead Hungry" were you get to stress yourself out on feeding zombies to heavy metal music!
Well, as long as there are people willing to play it, there will always be a market for shooting red people.

I actually have not played either of those so I'm not sure. But I mean, saying that the store is filled with "rubbish" then going on to list 7 games you liked from it, I thought was pretty funny.

Nonameo
Explorer

lovethis said:

Where can I download this fake Vive without going to spam websites filed with crap.

You get it here...
https://github.com/Shockfire/FakeVive/releases
Just unzip it in your Google Earth root directory.

Seems everyone has finally grasped my observation, its no biggie, yet seems stupid. I often use this VR store, because I have often just finished getting bored when I want to try something new. Yet am amazed how so many games are getting 5 stars. I grade a bit different, because there are only two games that have earned the right to 5 stars and that is Project Cars and Elite.
Lets face it, if a game does not compare to Elite, then why is it getting 5 stars! If a game gets 1 star its a warning, if 4 stars its a great game and 3 stars is just good or average.

Is there is a way of playing Google Street View, then I would really be thankful for a tip.

RedRizla
Honored Visionary
@Nonameo - Assetto Corsa is better the Project cars it just looks so much better in VR.

Edit: I'm almost certain I played with Google Street View in the Rift aswell. Maybe it was in DK2 days but I can't be certain. I'm sure someone made an app that let you look around all the streets.

Thug
Heroic Explorer
I'm not sure if the op is a troll or not. 
They are complaining about not being able to see reviews within VR and that 'it's a biggie' having to take your head set off for 30 seconds to read a review before parting with £30!!!! I mean, come on, are you 'really' serious?
i only put my headset on when I want to play a game and it's no 'biggie' keeping it off whilst I look at the oh store. In fact it's not even a minor inconvenience, it's no trouble at all, and to think it is is really picking fault for the sake of picking fault in my opinion. 
CPU: Intel i9-10990k.
Graphics Card: Nvidia Geforce GTX3080,
RAM: 32GB DDR5,
Viewed on: Oculus Quest 2 or 28" BenQ monitor (x2),
Hard Drive: 2TB Samsung SSD (games), 512GB Samsung SSD (OS), 512GB SSD (3d),

falken76
Expert Consultant

Nonameo said:

lovethis said:

Where can I download this fake Vive without going to spam websites filed with crap.

You get it here...
https://github.com/Shockfire/FakeVive/releases
Just unzip it in your Google Earth root directory.

Seems everyone has finally grasped my observation, its no biggie, yet seems stupid. I often use this VR store, because I have often just finished getting bored when I want to try something new. Yet am amazed how so many games are getting 5 stars. I grade a bit different, because there are only two games that have earned the right to 5 stars and that is Project Cars and Elite.
Lets face it, if a game does not compare to Elite, then why is it getting 5 stars! If a game gets 1 star its a warning, if 4 stars its a great game and 3 stars is just good or average.

Is there is a way of playing Google Street View, then I would really be thankful for a tip.

This is exactly why I like to actually read the reviews.  You enjoy Pcars and Elite and say any game that doesn't compare to Elite shouldn't get 5 stars.  But I think Elite is a bore fest, a boring grind in space gets 0 stars from me.  Pcars makes me feel like I'm going to throw up in seconds.  If I could return them, I'd have $120 in credit to spend in the store.  I bought those games before reviews were even part of the store.  Thank goodness they added them.  I agree though, it should also be in the VR store through the headset.  I don't buy games through VR myself, but if they're going to offer an option to do so, they should let you read the reviews.

davidb01
Adventurer

Thug said:

They are complaining about not being able to see reviews within VR and that 'it's a biggie' having to take your head set off for 30 seconds to read a review before parting with £30!!!! I mean, come on, are you 'really' serious?
i only put my headset on when I want to play a game and it's no 'biggie' keeping it off whilst I look at the oh store. In fact it's not even a minor inconvenience, it's no trouble at all, and to think it is is really picking fault for the sake of picking fault in my opinion. 

Personally - I don't see it as trolling. There are 3 different store fronts you can buy through - web, app and VR, and they all have different features (or lack there of - I'm looking at you web!!!). It's quite annoying. First - I'm not always on my VR PC (may be at work etc). If I want to check out games, then I have to use the "lets click and hope and see what we get" store interface on the web. Next, if I am on my VR PC, then I can browse through the app and read reviews. Yay. But - if I want to sort on new releases to see what's new - no - I have to go into VR to do that! Read reviews of those new games - oops, take the headset off! It's a complete mish-mash of features across the 3 platforms. Very annoying!

I understand that it's all still in Beta - but just some consistency across platforms please!

TwoHedWlf
Expert Trustee

davidb01 said:

Thug said:

Personally - I don't see it as trolling. There are 3 different store fronts you can buy through - web, app and VR, and they all have different features (or lack there of - I'm looking at you web!!!). It's quite annoying. First - I'm not always on my VR PC (may be at work etc). If I want to check out games, then I have to use the "lets click and hope and see what we get" store interface on the web. Next, if I am on my VR PC, then I can browse through the app and read reviews. Yay. But - if I want to sort on new releases to see what's new - no - I have to go into VR to do that! Read reviews of those new games - oops, take the headset off! It's a complete mish-mash of features across the 3 platforms. Very annoying!

I understand that it's all still in Beta - but just some consistency across platforms please!

There's a web store?

Huh, after a few minutes looking I found it.  Not that it has any use given I have a PC at home with Oculus Home on it.

vannagirl
Consultant
Huh

I had to read half of this to discover its in vr. Honestly the app is surely how you buy??

Was confused as I see all the reviews also maybe i can suggest youtube to see what you are buying. Apparently 1 billion daily users  🙂
Look, man. I only need to know one thing: where they are. 

kojack
MVP
MVP

lovethis said:

So is Google Earth a Vive exclusive?

Generally, 99% of Vive stuff should just work on the rift because OpenVR wraps around the oculus sdk. Touch to wand mapping may suck, but it should work.
But Google added intentional code that asks OpenVR which hmd is connected, then refuses to run if it returned an oculus hmd. They took something that would have worked fine and broke it on purpose.
What the fakevive program does is intercept the OpenVR call asking for manufacturer and model and instead always returns "HTC" and "Vive". That's it, that's enough to make it run.

Then again, I'm surprised they released a Vive version at all, instead of making it a Daydream exclusive.

Author: Oculus Monitor,  Auto Oculus Touch,  Forum Dark Mode, Phantom Touch Remover,  X-Plane Fixer
Hardware: Threadripper 1950x, MSI Gaming Trio 2080TI, Asrock X399 Taich
Headsets: Wrap 1200VR, DK1, DK2, CV1, Rift-S, GearVR, Go, Quest, Quest 2, Reverb G2