cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Need PC pro

Anonymous
Not applicable
Anyone reading this please don't guess unless you know the answer. I wish there was an Oculus support over the phone but I the agents would probably be still as incompetent as the idiots that help you with the support ticket.

Ok, so I bought the Oculus bundle with the Alienware X51 R3. You can view it here. https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01BHN27M2/ref=od_aui_detailpages00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

I'm sure a pc pro will say it's a piece of shit, hence why it's probably discontinued already. The reason I think it sucks is because its impossible for me to keep monitor running while playing VR. The monitor goes black and I have to unplug HDMI from monitor and plug it back in when I want to see screen. A best buy rep told me that it's because I have a GeForce 970 instead of a 10 series. My graphics card cant handle the rift and monitor. Is this true?

I further plugged my monitor into the motherboard hdmi which displayed the gameplay, but graphics on screen obviously took a dive and possibly slowed my pc down because games like The Climb wont load but will only play sound on my Rift.

Anyone with tech knowledge please explain whats going on, and if theres a cheap fix. I play PC games and Rift games and don't want to keep unplugging my monitor just to play Oculus. Thanks!
11 REPLIES 11

cybereality
Grand Champion
That's strange. A GTX 970 should work, even with Rift and multiple monitors. One thing to be sure of, you cannot have anything plugged into the motherboard video port. Rift (and all monitors) must be on the dedicated graphics card. You should plug Rift direct on HDMI, and then use an adapter (either DVI-to-HDMI or DisplayPort-to-HDMI) for the monitor. If that doesn't work, try Rift on the adapter and monitor on HDMI. Make sure you have the latest Nvidia drivers installed, and use Windows Update to get your OS fully updated.
AMD Ryzen 7 1800X | MSI X370 Titanium | G.Skill 16GB DDR4 3200 | EVGA SuperNOVA 1000 | Corsair Hydro H110i Gigabyte RX Vega 64 x2 | Samsung 960 Evo M.2 500GB | Seagate FireCuda SSHD 2TB | Phanteks ENTHOO EVOLV

Anonymous
Not applicable
Thanks for the fast reply. I'm glad you knew I would have to convert my monitor from HDMI to Display port. I thought that might also be a problem with the monitor having a cable converted over would possibly cause issues. I hadn't thought of using the Oculus through my HDMI to Display Port. I will try that. If that doesn't work, what else should I try?

Oh, I did update my drivers on GeForce experience and did Windows update.

Anonymous
Not applicable
Well I plugged the Oculus into the hdmi to mini diplay port adapter and now the Oculus went black at the beginning of game. I think it might be the converter. I bought an Insignia Mini DisplayPort to HDMI adapter.

https://www.amazon.com/Insignia-LYSB00P2T8A2E-ELECTRNCS-InsigniaTM-DisplayPort-to-HDMI-Adapter/dp/B0...

cybereality
Grand Champion
You should buy adapters that say they support 4K. Older adapters may not have enough bandwidth for Rift. Even though that one says 1920x1200 supported, that is likely at 60Hz (not the 90Hz Rift runs at). I believe this adapter should work: 
https://www.amazon.com/Cable-Matters-DisplayPort-ThunderboltTM-Compatible/dp/B00K0UDJFI
AMD Ryzen 7 1800X | MSI X370 Titanium | G.Skill 16GB DDR4 3200 | EVGA SuperNOVA 1000 | Corsair Hydro H110i Gigabyte RX Vega 64 x2 | Samsung 960 Evo M.2 500GB | Seagate FireCuda SSHD 2TB | Phanteks ENTHOO EVOLV

Anonymous
Not applicable
I noticed that but the monitor is only 1920 X 1080p and It blacks out when converting hdmi to mini display port on the graphics card. should I still get a better adapter? or is the Monitor the issue? Here is the monitor

https://www.amazon.com/MX279H-MX279-1920x1080-Frameless-Monitor/dp/B00B17C5KO

cybereality
Grand Champion
Ah yeah. Sorry for the confusion. The adapter you bought will be enough for the monitor. I was thinking in case you wanted to use the adapter on Rift. 

leo1954au
Adventurer
A GTX 970 should have DVI ports on the back of it as well as HDMI and Display port my 980 dose and I've got my monitor plugged into the DVI and rift into the HDMI

JeremyC85
Heroic Explorer
Correct. My 970 before I sold it ran the rift just fine. I had the rift pluged into the 970s hdmi out and my monitor pluged into the 970s DVI out 

Anonymous
Not applicable
Thanks for all of your help. I thought the other port on my graphics card was VGA which I didn't want to use. It was actually DVI and my monitor came with a HDMI to DVI cable so it worked out! No screen blackouts! I was considering getting rid of computer if I couldn't fix it. Thanks again everyone 🙂