cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Fresco or Microsoft drivers? - Inateck PCI-e card

elboffor
Consultant

I'm guessing that the share tech support have in Inateck have pad off since the launch of the rift, but just wondering what driver everyone is using for this?

I've heard conflicting reports from people, so want to get everyones opinion.

My personal preference has been to use the latest Fresco driver because it gets rid of the update driver message, but after recent trouble shooting I ended up rolling back to the microsoft driver in a vain attempt to get rid of the sleep/jittery hand bug that occurs with 4 sensors. needless to say i've not noticed any difference lol.

so cmon peeps, feel free to educate me.

::EDIT::

For anyone that wants it, I've attached a script that will set you power options for you, i initially downloaded it from redit, but added a few lines at the begining and end so it could be put in a .cmd file and run the powershel script. note: run as administrator

if you prefer just open notepade, paste in the following code and save as whatever.cmd
;@echo off
;Findstr -rbv ; %0 | powershell -c -
;goto:sCode

#Requires -Version 3.0
#Requires -RunAsAdministrator

# This script will disable all USB power saving settings on the system, in particular those associated with the Oculus Rift or Fresco Logic controllers.
# It should run fine on Windows 8, Windows 8.1 and Windows 10.
# If you have Windows 7, you will need to update Powershell first. Download and install (in order):
# 1: https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/download/details.aspx?id=42642
# 2: https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/download/details.aspx?id=40855

# To run:
# Save the script as 'OculusUSBfix.ps1' somewhere. Open the file's properties and check 'Unblock' and click Apply.
# Go to Start, Windows Powershell, right click and select 'Run as administrator'.
# Type 'Set-ExecutionPolicy RemoteSigned' once to be able to run PowerShell scripts (Or 'Set-ExecutionPolicy Unrestricted' if you did not unblock the file.)
# Go to the folder where you saved the script and run it.

# These are the USB hardware IDs that we want to disable the 'Allow the computer to turn off this device to save power' setting on.
# If you want to disable another USB devices power management, go to device manager, the properties of the device, details tab, Device ID / instance path, and copy the 'VID_nnnn&PID_nnnn' (Vendor ID and Product ID) to the following list. VID_2833 is Oculus VR LLC.
$DeviceIDs = (
"VID_2833&PID_0211", # Oculus Rift Sensor
"VID_2833&PID_0330", # Oculus Rift HMD
"VID_2833&PID_0031", # Oculus Rift HMD
"ROOT_HUB_FL30" # Fresco Logic xHCI (USB3) Root Hub
)

# The script starts here.
Write-Output "Starting script to fix Oculus Rift related USB power problems, and tune Fresco Logic USB settings."
Write-Output "This script will not check USB driver versions or fix any physical issues. If the problem persists, the following may help:"
Write-Output "- Check if you are running known good USB controller drivers or update them to a newer version."
Write-Output "- Mount the sensors right-side-up."
Write-Output "- Do not connect more than 2 sensors to the same USB controller on USB3 ports. Either use an extra card with USB3 ports, use USB2 ports, or use a USB2 extension cable."
Write-Output "- Test without USB and HDMI extension cables."
Write-Output "- Temporarily disconnect unneeded USB devices (The dongle for the Xbox controller is known to be bad about sharing the USB bus)."
Write-Output "- Close down any software that might be using the CPU in the background while you play. (Steam, Origin, Battle.net, Google Drive, Dropbox, etc.)."

# To track if we make changes anywhere.
$ChangesMade = $False
$IsRebootRequired=$False

# Initiate a CIM session to use in the following CIM commands.
Try {
$CIM_Session = New-CimSession -ErrorAction Stop
} catch {
Throw "Could not establish a CIM session. The script cannot run."
}

# If the 'USB 3 Link Power Management' option is currently hidden.
$RegPath = "Registry::HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\Power\PowerSettings\2a737441-1930-4402-8d77-b2bebba308a3\d4e98f31-5ffe-4ce1-be31-1b38b384c009"
# If the USB 3 Link Power Management option exists (Windows 7 does not have this setting, so we cannot set it.)
If ( Test-Path $RegPath ) {
If ( (Get-ItemProperty -Path $RegPath).Attributes -ne 2 ) {
Write-Output "Unhiding the 'USB 3 Link Power Management' option in 'Power Options', 'Edit Plan settings', 'Change advanced power settings', 'USB Settings'."
Set-ItemProperty -Path $RegPath -Name "Attributes" -Value 2
# We made a change. Track this.
$ChangesMade = $True
}
}

# Get the currently active power plan.
$CurrentPowerPlan = $PowerPlans | Where-Object { $_.IsActive }

# Make a list of power plans in the system. We are mainly interested in the current power plan, the 'High Powerformance' power plan that the oculus changes to.
If ( $CurrentPowerPlan.InstanceID -like "*{a1841308-3541-4fab-bc81-f71556f20b4a}" ) {
# If the current power plan is the "Power Saver" power plan we are going to change all the power plans.
$PowerPlans = Get-CimInstance -CimSession $Cim_Session -ClassName Win32_PowerPlan -Namespace "root\cimv2\power"
} Else {
# If the current power plan is not the "Power Saver" power plan we can exclude it from our list.
$PowerPlans = Get-CimInstance -CimSession $Cim_Session -ClassName Win32_PowerPlan -Namespace "root\cimv2\power" | Where-Object { $_.InstanceID -notlike "*{a1841308-3541-4fab-bc81-f71556f20b4a}" }
}

# For each power plan in our list of power plans.
Foreach ( $PowerPlan in $PowerPlans ) {
# Get the currently configured 'USB selective suspend setting' under power options.
$FilterString = "%$(($PowerPlan.InstanceID).SubString(($PowerPlan.InstanceID).Length-38))%AC%{48e6b7a6-50f5-4782-a5d4-53bb8f07e226}"
$USBSuspendSetting = Get-CimInstance -CimSession $Cim_Session -ClassName Win32_PowerSettingDataIndex -Namespace "root\cimv2\power" -Filter "InstanceID like '$FilterString'"

# If 'USB selective suspend setting' is currently enabled.
If ( $USBSuspendSetting.SettingIndexValue -ne 0 ) {
Write-Output "Changing 'Power Options', '$($PowerPlan.ElementName)', 'Change (current) plan settings', 'Change advanced power settings', 'USB settings', 'USB selective suspend setting' to Disabled."
$USBSuspendSetting | Set-CimInstance -CimSession $Cim_Session -Property @{SettingIndexValue = 0}
# If this power plan is the currently active power plan.
If ( $PowerPlan.IsActive ) {
Write-Output "Reactivating power plan $($PowerPlan.ElementName) to ensure our change is applied right now."
$return = Invoke-CimMethod -CimSession $Cim_Session -InputObject $PowerPlan -MethodName Activate -ErrorAction SilentlyContinue
If ( !$return ) {
Throw "There was an error while applying the power policy change."
}
}
$ChangesMade = $True
}

# Get the currently configured 'USB 3 Link Power Mangement' under power options.
$FilterString = "%$(($PowerPlan.InstanceID).SubString(($PowerPlan.InstanceID).Length-38))%AC%{d4e98f31-5ffe-4ce1-be31-1b38b384c009}"
$USBLinkPowerManagementSetting = Get-CimInstance -CimSession $Cim_Session -ClassName Win32_PowerSettingDataIndex -Namespace "root\cimv2\power" -Filter "InstanceID like '$FilterString'"

# If the USB 3 Link Power Management option exists (Windows 7 does not have this setting, so we cannot set it.)
If ( $USBLinkPowerManagementSetting ) {
# If 'USB 3 Link Power Mangement' is not set to 'Off'
If ( $USBLinkPowerManagementSetting.SettingIndexValue -ne 0 ) {
Write-Output "Changing 'Power Options', '$($PowerPlan.ElementName)', 'Change (current) plan settings', 'Change advanced power settings', 'USB settings', 'USB 3 Link Power Mangement' to Off."
$USBLinkPowerManagementSetting | Set-CimInstance -CimSession $Cim_Session -Property @{SettingIndexValue = 0}
# If this power plan is the currently active power plan.
If ( $PowerPlan.IsActive ) {
Write-Output "Reactivating power plan $($PowerPlan.ElementName) to ensure our change is applied right now."
$return = Invoke-CimMethod -CimSession $Cim_Session -InputObject $PowerPlan -MethodName Activate -ErrorAction SilentlyContinue
If ( !$return.ReturnValue ) {
Throw "There was an error while applying the power policy change."
}
}
$ChangesMade = $True
}
}
}

# Get a list of all the USB devices in the system so we can find user friendly names.
$USBDevices = Get-CimInstance -CimSession $CIM_Session -ClassName Win32_PnPEntity -Namespace "root\cimv2"

# Get a list of all devices with power management in the system.
$PowerDevices = Get-CimInstance -CimSession $Cim_Session -ClassName "MSPower_DeviceEnable" -Namespace "root\wmi"

# For each device with power management in the system.
Foreach ( $PowerDevice in $PowerDevices ) {
# Check against the entire list of DeviceIDs defined at the beginning of the script.
Foreach ( $DeviceID in $DeviceIDs ) {
$PowerDeviceUpperCase = $PowerDevice.InstanceName.ToUpper()
$DeviceIDUpperCase = $DeviceID.ToUpper()
# Find where the USB device is the power device.
If ( "$PowerDeviceUpperCase" -like "*$DeviceIDUpperCase*" ) {
# If 'Allow the computer to turn off this device to save power' is enabled.
If ( $PowerDevice.Enable ) {
# Retrieve the name of the USB device so we can display a user friendly name.
$USBDevice = $USBDevices | Where-Object { $_.DeviceID -eq ($PowerDevice.InstanceName -replace "_0$") }
$USBDeviceName = $USBDevice.Name
Write-Output "Disabling 'Allow the computer to turn off this device to save power', under 'Device Manager', '$USBDeviceName', 'Properties'."
$PowerDevice | Set-CimInstance -CimSession $Cim_Session -Property @{Enable = $False}
$ChangesMade = $True
}
}
}
}

# If a driver for a Fresco Logic FL1xxx USB controller is installed.
If ( Test-Path -Path Registry::HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Services\FLxHCIc\Parameters ) {
# If the U1U2LowPower registry setting does not exist or is not set to disabled (0).
If ( (Get-ItemProperty -Path Registry::HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Services\FLxHCIc\Parameters).U1U2LowPower -ne 0 ) {
Write-Output "Adding registry key 'HKLM\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Services\FLxHCIc\Parameters\U1U2LowPower' to disable low power states for Fresco Logic USB controllers."
Try {
New-ItemProperty -Path Registry::HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Services\FLxHCIc\Parameters -Name U1U2LowPower -PropertyType DWORD -Value 0 -Force | Out-Null
} catch {
Throw "Could not create registry key."
}
$ChangesMade = $true
# A registry setting change will not be picked up by the driver until the computer is rebooted. Track this.
$IsRebootRequired = $true
}
# If the BulkInRingBuffers does not exist is not set to decimal 256.
If ( (Get-ItemProperty -Path Registry::HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Services\FLxHCIc\Parameters).BulkInRingBuffers -ne 256 ) {
Write-Output "Adding registry key 'HKLM\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Services\FLxHCIc\Parameters\BulkInRingBuffers' to increase buffers for Fresco Logic USB controllers."
Try {
New-ItemProperty -Path Registry::HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Services\FLxHCIc\Parameters -Name BulkInRingBuffers -PropertyType DWORD -Value 256 -Force | Out-Null
} catch {
Throw "Could not create registry key."
}
$ChangesMade = $true
# A registry setting change will not be picked up by the driver until the computer is rebooted. Track this.
$IsRebootRequired = $true
}
}

# If we made any change.
If ( $ChangesMade ) {
If ( $IsRebootRequired ) {
Write-Output "Changes were applied. Due to changes in the registry for the Fresco Logic USB controller driver a REBOOT IS REQUIRED before the changes take effect."
} Else {
Try {
Write-Output "Restarting the Oculus VR Runtime Service to ensure it works okay."
# We restart the Oculus VR Runtime only if a reboot of the computer isn't required.
Get-Service -Name "OVRService" -ErrorAction Stop | Restart-Service -ErrorAction Stop
Write-Output "Changes were applied. No reboot is required."
} catch {
Write-Output "WARNING: Could not restart the Oculus VR Runtime Service. You may have to reboot before the changes take effect."
}
}
} Else {
Write-Output "No changes were needed."
}

# Close the CIM session.
Remove-CimSession -CimSession $CIM_Session -ErrorAction SilentlyContinue

;:sCode
;echo done
;pause & goto :eof

This is my forum signature.
There are many others like it, but this is mine.
31 REPLIES 31

elboffor
Consultant
I'd recommed updating them, also i've attahced a script to the first post. run it as admin and it should set all the power options and what not for you.

Anonymous
Not applicable
Gotcha, thanks!
So should I uninstall the previous drivers first then install the latest, or will running the 3.6.9.0a take care of all that for me? Also ok to leave the Rift plugged in during the process?

elboffor
Consultant
some may say otherwise, but the way i see it just install over the top. if you uninstall first all that will do is replace them with the microsoft dravers whch you will need to then replace with the newer ones anyways lol

Anonymous
Not applicable

elboffor said:

some may say otherwise, but the way i see it just install over the top. if you uninstall first all that will do is replace them with the microsoft dravers whch you will need to then replace with the newer ones anyways lol

Ok good, I will have a go at it many thanks!

Anonymous
Not applicable
Hmm did not go to well, the installation aborted as it was almost done saying no fresco logic host controller found.
I looked in device manager and now show three unknown usb devices listed there.

Anonymous
Not applicable
Ok I got it. I rebooted the pc and tried the install again, and this time it went successfully. Then I rebooted the PC again, and now the Fresco Logic USB 3 entries are showing up properly in device manager. Loaded up the Rift, and sensor showed as not connected. Rebooted again and it is now connected and working.
Whew lol... My drivers do now show as the 3.6.9.0a version.

elboffor
Consultant
Its made tou work for it then lol.
Id recommended running the power fix btw so your sensors dont go to sleep as that could cause disconnects 

Anonymous
Not applicable

elboffor said:

Its made tou work for it then lol.
Id recommended running the power fix btw so your sensors dont go to sleep as that could cause disconnects 

Does setting the Fresco Logic USB 3 root hub power management to off accomplish the same? I know it has to be set again after each reboot. Also question on the Script - will it also need to be run again after each reboot or does it set it permanently?

elboffor
Consultant
i run it ever reboot
most of the time is says no changes required and does nothing. every now and then it changes the power settings again.
it also puts ina  registry tweak (forgot twhat that does) but aparently it stops disconnects on this chipset

Anonymous
Not applicable
Ok thanks for the info. So does this file need to be placed in any specific area? I run it as admin from Powershell correct? Sorry little new to running something from there... thanks for all your help! If I could stop these sensor disconnects and keep form having to reboot  I would be home free.