cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Breakout box for all sensors would be such a amazing thing

Walextheone
Honored Guest
I'd love to see some sort of break out box for the Rift able to plug in 3-4 sensors too. No more hassle with USB host controllers, USB bandwith etc + it would free up a lot of USB port for computer (even better with a laptop) 🙂

If the breakout box also had a CPU for processing the sensor data and just send the end result, it'd also save some processing power.

Easier for everyone to understand, less problems balancing usb signals. Just plug and play.
10 REPLIES 10

RedRizla
Honored Visionary
Totally agree.

JaimieVandenber
Heroic Explorer
It would have to be a Thunderbolt port to have enough bandwidth to support three full speed USB-3 and up to two USB-2. You wouldn't be able to include HDMI since that needs to be from the primary graphics card. 

So all you actually have here is a fancy Thunderbolt-connected USB double hub. Those probably exist.

Chairface
Protege
Prefer to have processing onboard. Then all it has to transmit to the pc is location coordinates and vector data points. Provide it seperate power supply so it powers the cams w/out pc as well.

Walextheone
Honored Guest
Well if the sensors task is to calculate position and rotation of the HMD and  controllers, the breakout box could calculate and send the calculated data in small packages (no need for fancy thunderbolt or other hardware) 🙂

kevink808
Superstar
Isn't this piece of hardware similar to what you are wishing for?

https://www.startech.com/Cards-Adapters/USB-3.0/Cards/PCI-Express-USB-3-Card-4-Dedicated-Channels-4-...
Rift-S, Quest 128GB, GO 64GB.

Arock387
Heroic Explorer
Somebody buy the card Kevink has listed and tell us if it works.

TwoHedWlf
Expert Trustee

Well if the sensors task is to calculate position and rotation of the HMD and  controllers, the breakout box could calculate and send the calculated data in small packages (no need for fancy thunderbolt or other hardware) 🙂

That sounds like it would be an expensive piece of hardware whose sole purpose is to eliminate 2-3 feet of US cables.

Would it not be better to fix the USB issues?

kevink808
Superstar

Arock387 said:

Somebody buy the card Kevink has listed and tell us if it works.

That's one of 4 cards Oculus recommends in its new tracking guidance. Description sounds like something being asked for, 4 independent powered USB 3.0 channels taking the load off the board.
Rift-S, Quest 128GB, GO 64GB.

zboson
Superstar
I have a Thuderbolt 3/USB 3.1 Type-C port. I used a Dell Dock WD15 to connect the two sensors and the Rift USB connections. The video does not pass through though. In any case it works intermittently. It's not reliable enough for practical use. I fully agree that it would be awesome if Oculus supported things like this.
http://www.dell.com/en-us/shop/dell-dock-wd15-with-180w-adapter/apd/450-aeuo/pc-accessories