cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Can we please stop whining in the support threads about how we're going to stop using the rift??

kzintzi
Trustee
I don't know about everyone else but I'm getting a bit tired of looking at threads for updates on support issues and seeing yet another person who's decided that Oculus are shafting them, or keeping them in the dark, or not doing stuff fast enough.

I think we all need to just chill out and stop the "this is the last straw, I'm going to buy a different/sell my rift/opt out of VR entirely" comments in every single thread about a fault or something wrong..

computers are complex things... Microsoft change drivers and many other things in the background on a monthly basis, and doesn't tell anyone it's happening until after the fact (anyone remember when they locked out 80% of all webcams coz they didn't want to deal with legacy codecs without actually telling anyone they were going to do it - happened only last year).

yes it's frustrating, and yes it's annoying (I've got 2 sensors, and can't really play anything that uses Touch ATM as a result of the height glitch), but constantly reading the litany of dummy spits in every thread is getting tired, and if you're actually looking for a real update to the issue reading another whinge about how you "got dun rong" is a pain in the butt.

Also, you're using a bleeding edge piece of hardware - it's been out less than a year and there are a whole swath of things that are new/different about it, including how close it all is to the limits of what can be done with existing hardware.. if this was a mature technology that had been out for several years and a company was jerking you around sure, complain.

All of the devices available right now have issues that crop up from time to time - that's why it's called the bleeding edge.

[let the flaming of Kzintzi begin]
Though you are more than slightly incoherent, I agree with you Madam,
a plum is a terrible thing to do to a nostril.
56 REPLIES 56

RorschachPhoeni
Trustee
While I do think complaints are okay (if they are reasonable and written with some manners), I am totaly annoyed by all the hate and whining on the internet right now. It is just too much.

So, I agree.

Excuse my bad english. I speak to you through the google translator. 😛

kzintzi
Trustee
@lovethis, I know what you're talking about however it doesn't seem likely in this case (hey if I'm wrong I'll be happy - I'll wait for the next update from Oculus and see).. I run Windows 10 enterprise at home so I can control the update cycle on my machine and there weren't any OS updates on my machine over the time period.. 

Though you are more than slightly incoherent, I agree with you Madam,
a plum is a terrible thing to do to a nostril.

AndrewJ71
Heroic Explorer

lovethis said:

The Usb problem I think is both Oculus and the Usb card manufacturers fault. They needed to talk to each other so that the card manufactures can see what the problems are and decide if they want to support Oculus. I fixed that problem by using the Oculus tray tool someone created. 

Actually.. it sounds like that one is a Microsoft problem too. Something about windows decides to randomly shut down USB devices to save you power. (And I think the tray tool you mentioned specifically addresses that issue. So while there could be other USB related problems, it sounds like yours was this specifically)

IamRuuts
Explorer
Some people will complain about everything...given the opportunity.  In my opinion I get why people get frustrated, customer service in 2018 is horrible...but...I say If someone is that triggered by owning an Oculus Rift, or anything for that matter...sell it, give it away, do something different besides bitch at the sky...that is the equivalent to posting threats about leaving the platform...they just do not care...

kevinw729
Honored Visionary
To be generous, I think the Oculus VR forum is better balanced than most. I have to spend time on the other forums and user groups, and I see a much more pervasive group of postings - just go over to the WinMR group and it seems to be a constant bitch about selling their hardware, being cheated on performance, and wanting a better solution, (have not had the heart to go back to the Daydream group).
https://vrawards.aixr.org/ "The Out-of-Home Immersive Entertainment Frontier: Expanding Interactive Boundaries in Leisure Facilities" https://www.amazon.co.uk/Out-Home-Immersive-Entertainment-Frontier/dp/1472426959

Anonymous
Not applicable
Blimey, another necro post! 😮

We'll we'll have to wait and see what the CV2 offers before making any decisions on whether to stay with Oculus or not tbh...but if this generation is anything to go by the CV2 will be the best headset next generation.

The second generation is starting soonish with the Vive Pro and Pimax but I don't trust HTC or Pimax to bring out hardware that's going to be better than the CV2 next year.

HTC and especially Pimax had their first generation headsets being poorer than the Rift and I can't see next generation being any different.

Inachu
Protege
Everyone expects all software companies to have a giant support programming staff the same size or larger than microsoft.

Syrellaris
Rising Star
Well in fairness Oculus support is a bit..archaic and slow sometimes. However, considering VR is so new, I don't think one can expect an entire support department with phone support 24/7 or repair centers globally either.

oh bloody hell I didnt even notice it was a necro ><

pyroth309
Visionary
No doubt the support is lacking but if you think it's any better elsewhere do yourself a favor and go look on other manufacturers boards. Even the almighty media crowned and glorious chosen one the PSVR has a forum chock full of people complaining about all sorts of things with them from the shit tracking to green lines to bad Mura to all kinds of problems. Welcome to Early adoption. 

kevinw729
Honored Visionary

pyroth309 said:

.....go look on other manufacturers boards.
.....Welcome to Early adoption. 

I agree the other forums are full of complaint - as I stated above, but don't put this all down to early adoption. The VR headset is a difficult system to support, but the reality is that many of the owners were sold a bill of goods that has failed to achieve the hyperbole offered. Be it the ability to offer room-scale with just two cameras, the ability to do all motion tracking with inside-out, or the ability for the glowing wands to offer strong tracking - the current buyer of VR is getting a sub-parr response, the lab rats of what a manufacturer can get away with. 
https://vrawards.aixr.org/ "The Out-of-Home Immersive Entertainment Frontier: Expanding Interactive Boundaries in Leisure Facilities" https://www.amazon.co.uk/Out-Home-Immersive-Entertainment-Frontier/dp/1472426959