cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Contact lenses

RorschachPhoeni
Trustee
First: I am sorry! I did not have found a clear answer on that. So I am asking now.

My girlfriend wears contact lenses. I want to show her the Rift today. Is there anything I have to adjust or to be aware of?
Excuse my bad english. I speak to you through the google translator. 😛
13 REPLIES 13

ananken
Honored Guest
Dont do it.  Do to the wavelength emitted by the Rift's headset,  permanent damage can occur.  Do to the blue light wavelengths,  approx 130n/s.  Ask your Optometrist.  Just go without them or purchase lenses specifically for the Oculus and your prescription.  Glasses can be worn with comfort when buying the optional headset pads for eyeglasses,  sold by another company.

hoochyuk
Heroic Explorer
Make sure you remember to blink regular,you may also find she doesn't need her lenses in vr,I wear contacts all the time but my vision is 20/20 on my rift without them

JaimieVandenber
Heroic Explorer

ananken said:

Dont do it.  Do to the wavelength emitted by the Rift's headset,  permanent damage can occur.  Do to the blue light wavelengths,  approx 130n/s.  Ask your Optometrist.  Just go without them or purchase lenses specifically for the Oculus and your prescription. 

TL;DR: That's wrong.

Daylight is far more energetic and has wider ranging light frequencies than anything the Rift can generate, and still not dangerous at all to your contacts.

"130n/s" - what do you mean by this? That's bad units and not a thing. I reckon you're being misled by some antiscience information source.

Blue light is around 460-550nm wavelength. Higher frequency UV light (400-100nm) doesn't hurt contacts either, you can even get UV blocking contacts that stop it entering your pupil. And UV isn't generated by the Rift.

IR light is (also known as "heat", apologies for using a technical term), and this will potentially dry out your contacts and make them uncomfortable. Generally I find that the Rift headset keeps the atmosphere inside pretty humid though, so in practice this isn't a problem for me.

Warbloke
Superstar

And UV isn't generated by the Rift.

Unbelievable Visuals
"You can't believe everything you read on the Internet " :- Abraham Lincoln