DOOM 3 BFG - VR ( V0.021 Updated 3-12-2017) - Page 22 — Oculus
New to the forums? Click here to read the "How To" Guide.

Developer? Click here to go to the Developer Forums.

DOOM 3 BFG - VR ( V0.021 Updated 3-12-2017)

Comments

• RABIDRABID Posts: 171
    Art3mis
    always expect something to jump through the door you are about to open
  • StreetPreacherStreetPreacher Posts: 224
    Nexus 6
    aardvark said:
    still,  that doesn't help me.  I can't progress further due to the hangs..   the pretty hourglass does not go away.
    restart doesn't help,  freezes at the same point.
    Samson?

I've been having the exact same problem, but it only seems to have started happening in the past month or so...  I'm sure I  played a few hour plus sessions a while ago and never had the black hourglass screen pop up.\

Now I seem to get this hourglass screen on the rift, while the game is still playing normally in mirrored window on my monitor.

For some reason I just can't get the Rift to go back to the game.

I also ran  into a problem where I couldn't get past the scene in the game where you briefly lose your weapons and need to punch kill everyone in a room.  For some reason I just couldn't get the punch mechanic to work properly and couldn't kill everyone.../
  • 2EyeGuy2EyeGuy Posts: 1,084
    Trinity
    I just successfully merged GZ3Doom (the VR version of Doom 1 and 2) into Doom 3 BFG. Currently, there's only a very small amount of integration, where they share the same makefile, project, EXE file and an icon, but are otherwise completely separate code-wise. Choosing Doom 1 or 2 currently exits and restarts the EXE file in gz3doom mode with it's own main function and program code. But it works.

I hope to integrate them more to the level of the current BFG implementation, where they share a console, cvars, VR code, controls, frame-handling, and some configuration. And maybe even integrate them a bit more deeply.

It's not really ready for a pull-request or release yet though. I still need to work out the best way to handle merging two completely separate git repositories, in a way that makes everyone and everything happy, and I need to integrate them enough to make it worth it, rather than just installing GZ3Doom separately.
    Samson said:
    Wow, great work!

I've been out of it for the better part of a week - had a stomach bug tear through the whole family ( of course starting with me) , kids are finally on the mend.

I'm almost done with the teleport targeting.  I'm not much of an artist, but now there's a visual target on the ground and a parabolic ( well, not really parabolic ) aiming beam.  Pretty much the standard teleport mechanic, just with my unique artistic, um, we'll call it flair. 

Can wait to get this bundled for release!
    I wondered why we hadn't heard from you. I hope you all get well soon. Family are more important.

I'm curious about the parabolic aiming. I was too lazy for that. Although my excuse is that it's an FPS game, so FPS-style aiming makes some sense. And I was too lazy to make any programmer art for it.

SuperTuck said:
    Expect it out soon?
    It's essentially releasable now, although not perfect, and has been for a while, but I've been waiting out of respect for Samson. I know he's got a vision of how he wants his game to be, and he wants to polish the teleportation mechanic and other things.

But I'm worried that people are playing it now, and possibly completing it, with motion sickness and bugs, when we have fixed them and the new experience will be so much better.

Problem: NPC Voice Sounds missing

Hi Samson,
    I installed the texture pack and the OculusNativeAlpha from github.
    I have sound but no npc voice at all?! They seem to talk... but I don't hear them. Gunfire, music, sound effects are just fine, except the voice.
    Any idea how to fix this?

by the Way:

Thats awesome work!

Thank you so much!

This could be a language issue. Try setting the game's language to English in Steam. The source code as released by iD software didn't include the working multi-language support, and I haven't really been testing it.

it could also be a texture pack issue. I haven't even even tried the texture pack yet.
  • lenne0815lenne0815 Posts: 103
    Art3mis
    edited January 2017
    Thanks for the heads up, im just waiting for pulling the trigger for updating my installation guide, im sure the next version will be great ! ( And yes the missing npc voice is fixed by setting the language to english in steam )
  • FrankDrebin1979FrankDrebin1979 Posts: 58
    Hiro Protagonist
    @2EyeGuy Thanks again man! Too bad you wont look into quake 1/2 :'( but hey, thanks again for ppsspp vr and dolphin vr and doom!!
  • Shadowmask72Shadowmask72 Posts: 3,574 Valuable Player
    edited January 2017
    Right 22 frigging pages which I'm not going to read through. I've seen this topic numerous times and decided to bite the bullet. Why does the first post not offer installation instructions for newbs like myself. I've downloaded, extracted and then copied all the files into the game directory (obviously not the right thing to do) and now what? Any help please?

System Specs: RTX 2080 ti , i9 9900K CPU, 16 GB DDR 4 RAM, Win 10 64 Bit OS.
  • elbofforelboffor Posts: 2,572 Valuable Player
    Wait for the next release man.
    It'll be improved by far and full instructions will most likely be posted in these latter pages
    This is my forum signature.
    There are many others like it, but this is mine.
  • Sinstalker21Sinstalker21 Posts: 253 Poster of the Week
    Right 22 frigging pages which I'm not going to read through. I've seen this topic numerous times and decided to bite the bullet. Why does the first post not offer installation instructions for newbs like myself. I've downloaded, extracted and then copied all the files into the game directory (obviously not the right thing to do) and now what? Any help please?
    Just read page 21.
    Nexus 6
    So are aadvark and I the only people experiencing this black hourglass screen on the headset, while the game continues playing fine in the mirrored window on the monitor?

I just can't seem to figure out what causes the game to hang and show the hourglass screen, it seems to happen at a specific times, like I can load a game and walk around without any problems, but soon as I kill a certain enemy the screen switches to the black hourglass and I can't seem to get the game to display in the headset anymore

• SamsonSamson Posts: 129
    Art3mis
    So are aadvark and I the only people experiencing this black hourglass screen on the headset, while the game continues playing fine in the mirrored window on the monitor?

I just can't seem to figure out what causes the game to hang and show the hourglass screen, it seems to happen at a specific times, like I can load a game and walk around without any problems, but soon as I kill a certain enemy the screen switches to the black hourglass and I can't seem to get the game to display in the headset anymore

I would like to know if anyone else is experiencing this - it's not an issue I've ever encountered.  Did you say that the game continues to play normally on the mirror screen?  As in the headtracking and motion controls still work, it's just not displayed on the rift?  If you can find an exact repeatable spot where this happens, it may help.

Trinity
    lenne0815 said:
    Thanks for the heads up, im just waiting for pulling the trigger for updating my installation guide, im sure the next version will be great ! ( And yes the missing npc voice is fixed by setting the language to english in steam )
     Correction:

The missing npc voice is fixed by deleting base/strings/english.lang (unless you have the game set to English in Steam, in which case you need that file).
    We shouldn't have even included that file, because I don't think we changed anything in it.
    Once you do that, you can play in VR in any language you like. The menus that we added will be in English though, because we haven't localised them yet. And in the new version, the voice commands will all be in English, because I haven't localised them either, and you won't be able to play the FlickSync mode. But talking to people by talking in whatever language you want will still work.

I'm fixing the bug in the next version right now, so that it works even if english.lang is present. 

Nexus 6
    Samson said:

I would like to know if anyone else is experiencing this - it's not an issue I've ever encountered.  Did you say that the game continues to play normally on the mirror screen?  As in the headtracking and motion controls still work, it's just not displayed on the rift?  If you can find an exact repeatable spot where this happens, it may help.

Hi Samson, I just tested again and it appears that the game continues running normally in the monitor window while the Rift is displaying a black screen with the hourglass.  The controls keep working, and the HMD tracking seems to work as well.  I just can't seem to get the game to display again... 

I guess i'll try a clean re-install with the latest builds, just worried about losing my save game progress :)  
  • mckrackenmckracken Posts: 56
    Hiro Protagonist
    can you change the cutscenes point of view, so that you are not in the middle of them or floating around the scenery? (so they display like in the non-VR game)

is it possible to hold two handed weapons with both hands? Like the Shotgun etc. It feels weird holding big guns with one hand.

love everything else :)
  • Shadowmask72Shadowmask72 Posts: 3,574 Valuable Player
    Got this to work kinda but OP needs to change the first post because the link is out of date.

System Specs: RTX 2080 ti , i9 9900K CPU, 16 GB DDR 4 RAM, Win 10 64 Bit OS.
  • ParadiseDecayParadiseDecay Posts: 509
    Neo
    edited January 2017
    Guys! I don't know if you this..... but there's also a Quake mod now. Links featured in the comments of my video here: 
    ☆ YouTube 'Content Creator' and 'Steam Curator' ( https://www.youtube.com/user/ParadiseDecay ) ☆ Devs! I'm always on the look out for new and interesting VR experiences! ☆ Oculus Rift CV1 ☆ Windows 10, 64 bit ☆ Intel Core i7-3770 ☆ 16.0GB Ram ☆ GeForce GTX 1060
    Art3mis
    Guys! I don't know if you this..... but there's also a Quake mod now. Links featured in the comments of my video here: 
    theres an HD texture pack for this. it makes a huge difference. i really with this mod had touch support
  • FrankDrebin1979FrankDrebin1979 Posts: 58
    Hiro Protagonist
    edited January 2017
    This is so old news. Please update us when touch controller is supported.....
    Trinity
    mckracken said:
    can you change the cutscenes point of view, so that you are not in the middle of them or floating around the scenery? (so they display like in the non-VR game)

is it possible to hold two handed weapons with both hands? Like the Shotgun etc. It feels weird holding big guns with one hand.

love everything else :)
    I added a Flicksync mode where you can be one of the characters in the cutscene. But you have to speak their lines.

Cutscenes do display like in the non-VR game (only without movement along a path), that's the problem. We could add a box around the cutscenes like in Leyland's version, but I really didn't like that feature. Someone would have to edit all the cutscenes if we really want them to work better in VR.

You can mime holding the weapon with both hands, if you attach the flashlight to your head or torso. But it's tricky to make holding things in two hands work in VR when there's nothing to stop your hands moving apart. If it makes you feel better, Martian gravity is only 38% of Earth's, so it's easier to lift an object with one hand than it would be on Earth with two hands. Phobos gravity is ridiculously low. That only applies to LIFTING vertically though. Swinging and wielding a weapon is still just as hard in low gravity.
    Hiro Protagonist
    "Cutscenes do display like in the non-VR game" Hmm. But what about the model movement glitches (lost mission intro is a good example)

Would it work to have them display like on a virtual cinema mode - like what Vorpx does. So basically just like Nvidias 3dvision.
  • Thane_Thane_ Posts: 242
    Nexus 6
    edited January 2017
    Wouldn't it be possible to mimic the two-handed weapon holding behavior of...is it bullet train?...which it seems to have been programed to make the hand that would grip the front of the weapon follow and pivot on a certain point of that controller so long as it is within a certain distance (adjustable?), allowing you to at least aim the weapon with two hands? Any plans to implement manual reloading and charging of the guns for fun? (Am i the only goofball who wants this to be a realistic survival simulator?) Btw, i do 3D modelling, have Max, Substance Painter/Des, Knald, Ddo, Ndo, etc. If you need any help with modelling i have a little bit of spare time each day.

• aardvarkaardvark Posts: 3
    NerveGear
    Samson said:

Alright,  I did manage to SOLVE my problem..  although you Rifters that are experiencing the hourglass issue are not going to like it...

as well as the Rift+Touch I also have an HTC Vive.   so,  I did a clean install,  regathered the texture packs,  and downloaded the latest openVR version..   and the dreaded hourglass never re-appeared.   and DAMN am I having fun with this game.

I way prefer the Vive experience over the Rift.   the tracking is better,  the controls are less twitchy.

I did notice something that may help folks.   it is incredibly easy to lose focus from the game..  a few times even on the Vive I found random things like hands not updating, etc.   but simply alt-tabbing to another window, then alt-tabbing back to the game regained the focus,  and returned my hand control.  it's possible this was happening on the Rift too,  but the control didn't return.

all up,  nice work you crazy modders.    this is a cool-ass game for VR.

-vark

Art3mis
    crashed to main menu exiting alpha labs
    Art3mis
    update: deleted the generated folder in base fixed it
  • Man this game is creepy in VR!  It gave me a rush when I played it on a monitor, it is almost too much being on Mars!
    i7 5960X @ 3.8 GHz | Corsair Vengeance LPX 16GB DDR4 PC2800 | GTX Titan X Pascal | Win 10 64 bit | Asus ROG PG348Q | EVGA X99 Classified
  • kevink808kevink808 Posts: 803
    3Jane
    2EyeGuy said:
    For the legal record:
     Zenimax's VR code was worthless garbage, and is not used.
    There is no way that Zenimax's work on VR is worth half a billion dollars.
    LOL
    Rift-S, Quest 128GB, GO 64GB.
    Hiro Protagonist
    Syndroid said:
    @Sinstalker21

First, make a clean install..(delete everything from the game folder, then use the repair function in Steam)
    Download the main mod file Doom3BFGVR_FP_OculusNativeAlpha015.zip
    and extract it to the game folder.

For high res texures, don't use the mod pack from the video. Download these 3 files instead:
    http://www.moddb.com/mods/perfected-doom-3-version-500/addons/perfected-doom-3-texture-pack-v30-part-1
    http://www.moddb.com/mods/perfected-doom-3-version-500/addons/perfected-doom-3-texture-pack-v30-part-2
    http://www.moddb.com/mods/perfected-doom-3-version-500/addons/perfected-doom-3-texture-pack-v30-roe-patch
    Extract the zip files and open the pk4 files with winrar and extract the "texture" folder to 
    "doom 3 bfg\base\"

i can't make this work. First there is only one file with a "texture" folder. Where does the "models" folder go from the other file`? I dumped the texture folders right into the "base" folder, but no change. I created a "texture" (also a textures) folder inside the base folder - nothing.
  • SyndroidSyndroid Posts: 242
    Nexus 6
    mckracken said:
    Syndroid said:
    @Sinstalker21

First, make a clean install..(delete everything from the game folder, then use the repair function in Steam)
    Download the main mod file Doom3BFGVR_FP_OculusNativeAlpha015.zip
    and extract it to the game folder.

For high res texures, don't use the mod pack from the video. Download these 3 files instead:
    http://www.moddb.com/mods/perfected-doom-3-version-500/addons/perfected-doom-3-texture-pack-v30-part-1
    http://www.moddb.com/mods/perfected-doom-3-version-500/addons/perfected-doom-3-texture-pack-v30-part-2
    http://www.moddb.com/mods/perfected-doom-3-version-500/addons/perfected-doom-3-texture-pack-v30-roe-patch
    Extract the zip files and open the pk4 files with winrar and extract the "texture" folder to 
    "doom 3 bfg\base\"

i can't make this work. First there is only one file with a "texture" folder. Where does the "models" folder go from the other file`? I dumped the texture folders right into the "base" folder, but no change. I created a "texture" (also a textures) folder inside the base folder - nothing.

There should be a "textures" folder inside the pk4 files. That's the one that have to be inside the "base" folder.
    So basicially it should look like this:  doom3gamefolder\base\textures\->subfolders with names like alphalabs, basedoor..etc...
    Same with the models. "base\models\'subfolders"

Hiro Protagonist
    edited February 2017
    Been there. Yet, when i rename the textures folder or move it - there is no difference ingame, so the textures are not loaded.
    Art3mis
    2EyeGuy said:

The VR implementation is ours. Zenimax's VR code was worthless garbage, and is not used.
    There is no way that Zenimax's work on VR is worth half a billion dollars.
    LOL