cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Polygon Nightmare - Old School VR

Enmark
Expert Protege
Hi. im Swedish guy with early dreams of VR since i first tried the "Virtuality" arcade machine "Nightmare" later called "Dactyl Nightmare". My goal is to bring my childhood dream back from the dead, for the historic value and because it was a lot of peoples first VR experience!

I have gain the original Programer and graphic designers blessing to recreate the game. but have failed to reach the actual owner of the Game.

The game will be Free of charge and should NOT be redistributed without my knowledge.

Everything is built from scratch and is measured by eye sight from this lone clip!
all 3D work is made in sketchup and all sound effects are taken from the original videoclip.

201 REPLIES 201

Anonymous
Not applicable
I think that once it's on Steam or Home, it will get enough attention, therefore more people might be able to help out with programming and suck if you let them know. This forum is a bit obscure in my opinion.

Any chance we can get a release date? Do you need beta testers?

cybernettr
Superstar

V8Griff said:

There is a guy in the UK who has refurbished a 1000CS and I played it about a month ago. It was excellent and despite the low res graphics there was no motion sickness

If you watch the video embedded at the top of page 1 you will see the reporter definitely had motion sickness. 

Enmark
Expert Protege

I think that once it's on Steam or Home, it will get enough attention, therefore more people might be able to help out with programming and suck if you let them know.

Yea i hopped in the beginning to get allot of help... but there where no one interested, frankly i believe everyone has there own projects and its always hard to cowork over distance.  🙂
The largest help i have received is all helpful Unity Youtube lessons. Without them i had newer started out at all with unity. And there's also several users on oculus forum, ho have helped me  with there scripting skills, for the first release on DK1 and DK2. on the oculus share 

Anonymous
Not applicable
Wow, I just saw a typo that could be misinterpreted. "[...] therefore more people might be able to help out with programming and such [...]"

nalex66
MVP
MVP

Wow, I just saw a typo that could be misinterpreted. "[...] therefore more people might be able to help out with programming and such [...]"

I thought you were offering a special kind of help.  😉  😘

DK2, CV1, Go, Quest, Quest 2, Quest 3.

Try my game: Cyclops Island Demo

Enmark
Expert Protege
OK. im closing in on release! ....but! ...reading the legal terms in the oculus Publishing notes gives me the creeps! i Dont OWN the title Dactyl Nightmare or any off the "Art" making it what it is.

I only got the permission from the original Programmer and Art designer to publish, if its free of charge and their names are credited in the opening intro. 

Could this in any way backfire if i publish in the store and oculus decides im owing them money because they have been sued by someone holding the actual copywright to the title?

Is there some other place i could release the game free without risking being used as a means of "money making copywright case"  

Any staff here that could break this down to me? 🙂

nalex66
MVP
MVP
It might be wise to change the name slightly to indicate that this is a tribute to the original Dactyl Nightmare and not an official re-release. The rest of the art should be fine since you re-created it yourself.

Your risk is low if you're not selling the game, thus no money has been made from it, but still, better safe than sorry. The legal copyright owner could still claim damages due to lost potential to make and sell a Dactyl Nightmare game even if you didn't make money.

I believe the original copyright would still be in effect regardless of what has happened to the original owners. The real question is whether anyone would come after you and what action they would take (probably a cease-and-desist along with a demand to change the name, as a first step).

Maybe "Terror-Dactyl", "Dino Nightmare", " Dactyl Reboot", or "Low-Poly Barf-Fest"?

DK2, CV1, Go, Quest, Quest 2, Quest 3.

Try my game: Cyclops Island Demo

Enmark
Expert Protege
Thanks! yes i beleve this to, thing is i realy think i have to get in contact with the Oculus publishing staff to get there opinion in printed text (legability) before i could use the store. 

love the naming sggestion:  "Low-Poly Barf-Fest"  😄

cybereality
Grand Champion
"Terror-Dactyl" is pretty good.
AMD Ryzen 7 1800X | MSI X370 Titanium | G.Skill 16GB DDR4 3200 | EVGA SuperNOVA 1000 | Corsair Hydro H110i Gigabyte RX Vega 64 x2 | Samsung 960 Evo M.2 500GB | Seagate FireCuda SSHD 2TB | Phanteks ENTHOO EVOLV

elboffor
Consultant
In keeping with the original naming convention i think you should just add to it
Nightmare
Dactyl-Nightmare
Terror-Dactyl-Nightmare 
Also add something of your own to it that from this gen. Just one wall witha  ridiculously high rez texture or something 😉
This is my forum signature.
There are many others like it, but this is mine.