cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Keeping your Face and HMD clean

Zenbane
MVP
MVP
Even though I have read through many of the recommendations regarding keeping the Rift's face-plate clean, I never really felt like I was doing a good job. Furthermore, after 7 months of extensive use, I noticed that I tend to breakout (acne) more often, whereas normally my face is fairly absent of such a thing.

So about 2 weeks ago I decided to put on my dress n' heels, and walk on over to the Woman's Makeup section at the local shopping center. It occurred to me that women wipe their faces clean to perfection on such a regular basis, even after applying mounds of makeup... so surely a VR HMD solution must be hidden amongst the makeup removal shelf. And I do believe I was right!

I bought a makeup removal box (facial wipes) that was fairly basic; such as no added chemicals for fragrance, moisture, etc. Just something that deep cleans dirt, oils, and excess toxins. I started using them right after every Rift session. After a week I noticed that the breakouts on my face stopped entirely. Now I use one before a Rift session (to help keep the Rift clean) and I use one after the session, to keep my face clean.

So far I love the results, and recommend it to anyone experiencing something similar with the face breakouts. And using one before a Rift session is just a great way to help keep that face-plate clean.

I did also buy a pack of 20 Face Guards from Amazon, but I am reserving those for friends and family who come over to demo the Rift.

I haven't read anything similar to the use of makeup removal facial wipes (lol?) on this forum, so apologies if this has already been discussed.
49 REPLIES 49

Mr_Creepy
Rising Star
I tend to wash mine daily...  in sweat.

ParadiseDecay
Rising Star
I use baby wipes after evey session, wiping the whole Oculus down
☆ YouTube 'Content Creator' and 'Steam Curator' ( https://www.youtube.com/user/ParadiseDecay ) ☆ Devs! I'm always on the look out for new and interesting VR experiences! ☆ Oculus Rift CV1 ☆ Windows 10, 64 bit ☆ Intel Core i7-3770 ☆ 16.0GB Ram ☆ GeForce GTX 1060

kevinw729
Honored Visionary
https://vrawards.aixr.org/ "The Out-of-Home Immersive Entertainment Frontier: Expanding Interactive Boundaries in Leisure Facilities" https://www.amazon.co.uk/Out-Home-Immersive-Entertainment-Frontier/dp/1472426959

Zenbane
MVP
MVP
Yes those are the exact face guards I own, Kevin. However they do not prevent all sweat from getting on the rift, and my point in this thread is more in regards to keeping your own face clean, which those guards certainly do not assist with.

cybereality
Grand Champion
I don't go that far, but I do make a point to wash my face before VR sessions.
AMD Ryzen 7 1800X | MSI X370 Titanium | G.Skill 16GB DDR4 3200 | EVGA SuperNOVA 1000 | Corsair Hydro H110i Gigabyte RX Vega 64 x2 | Samsung 960 Evo M.2 500GB | Seagate FireCuda SSHD 2TB | Phanteks ENTHOO EVOLV

kevink808
Superstar
Don't lie. We know it's your cosmetics.
Rift-S, Quest 128GB, GO 64GB.

Zenbane
MVP
MVP

I don't go that far, but I do make a point to wash my face before VR sessions.

For the most part I would do that also. Give or take a few exceptions out of laziness. My problem with the mild breakouts is more recent. It occurred after my Touch controllers hit the scene. And not right away either. It became prevalent when I began the routine of playing Dead & Buried and The Climb, switching back n' forth between the two games over a 4-6 hours session, multiple times per week.

Thanks to the use of 2 fans I don't sweat as much, but the perspiration is clearly adding dirt and oils to the equation in my case. Plus I feel like these particular types of wipes do a slightly better job than standard soap. Although any soap formulated specifically for deep cleaning the face would clearly be a better choice.

The wipes allow me to stay clean while still being lazy lol

RedRizla
Honored Visionary
Thanks for the beauty tips. I'll ask my girlfriend to get some.

nalex66
MVP
MVP

lovethis said:

Thanks for the beauty tips. I'll ask my girlfriend to get some.

You're not fooling anyone, Lovey. We all know you're a modern pretty lady about town.

Now lend me some of your makeup wipes!

DK2, CV1, Go, Quest, Quest 2, Quest 3.

Try my game: Cyclops Island Demo