cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

So close to Selling my Rift

DarthHarbin
Explorer
     Gosh I'm so on the verge of Selling my Rift because of the lack of the kinda games I normally play, but on my rift.  I was so Pissed when they dropped plans to make Alien Isolation playable on recent rift editions, and even worse another slap in the face when the next big thing i looked forward to was RE7 and they put a damn timed exclusive on VR for only the PSVR for an entire fucking year!  
   Dude.. I just want to wear my headset like in Doom3 with my normal popular gaming.  No fancy hands motions tracking or roomscale gimmicky crap is necessary.  Just good head tracking and full geometric 3D immersion.  Mouse/Keyboard or Gamepad is completely FINE.   I want to play Alien Isolation, RE7, Fallout 4, GTA4/5, Skyrim, Dark Souls, Deus Ex, and more like that with just the improved immersion of smooth Head Tracking.  
    I might be happier with the PSVR since they seem to be concentrating more primarily on the gaming audience they already have.  The answer to save VR gaming for the time being seems to be getting the current games in developement that they already make good money on, to simply give us the headtracking element that makes immersion much better than just looking at a flat screen.   That's already a huge improvement to immersion.  Those that get sick won't buy but plenty of us still will.  There are tons of gamers in the world and just that little bit of extra immersion is worth it.  Hell i paid alot just for a better sound system with Surround Speakers just to have that better immersion.  Then when more people have headsets, we can experiment with adding more specialized game type that suite more niches.
70 REPLIES 70

DarthHarbin
Explorer
Have you tried using VorpX?   Everything I've read about it is bad.  It's not easy to configure, it forgets your settings so you have remember and redo them everytime, and it doesn't work to work well with most games.  I would love for VorpX to be improved and it would save me from selling the rift but it's been out for awhile now and doesn't seem to be improving at all.  What is your personal experience with it?  Another thing I am hoping is that more people like the ones who made the GTA mod and Doom 3 mod will keep putting out better VR mods for other games.   And if you think I'm alone in the disappointed with what they did with RE7, then your delusional.  The whole reason many of us got a Rift is to experience gaming we already like in a more immersive spectrum.  That has not happened much at all yet and if your not crying about it.. you must not own a rift or maybe your so new to gaming, you still find endless joy with tech demo sized games.  I have most of the ones on the list above and only Elite Dangerous and Chronos would I consider full games.  Maybe Airmech command if it wasn't just another Tower Defense game like so many for $10-15 on Steam and iphones.

kevink808
Superstar
What is so surprising about RE7 being a Sony exclusive for a year? It started with Sony in 1996 and with a few exceptions, usually launched on their systems first. PCs were always last. So why did this surprise you and influence your decision to buy a Rift??
Rift-S, Quest 128GB, GO 64GB.

DarthHarbin
Explorer
But they did release it on the PC.. they just expect us to buy it with the VR purposely turned OFF.

Syndroid
Heroic Explorer

XWolven said:

Have you tried using VorpX?   Everything I've read about it is bad.  It's not easy to configure, it forgets your settings so you have remember and redo them everytime, and it doesn't work to work well with most games.  I would love for VorpX to be improved and it would save me from selling the rift but it's been out for awhile now and doesn't seem to be improving at all.  What is your personal experience with it?  Another thing I am hoping is that more people like the ones who made the GTA mod and Doom 3 mod will keep putting out better VR mods for other games.   And if you think I'm alone in the disappointed with what they did with RE7, then your delusional.  The whole reason many of us got a Rift is to experience gaming we already like in a more immersive spectrum.  That has not happened much at all yet and if your not crying about it.. you must not own a rift or maybe your so new to gaming, you still find endless joy with tech demo sized games.  I have most of the ones on the list above and only Elite Dangerous and Chronos would I consider full games.  Maybe Airmech command if it wasn't just another Tower Defense game like so many for $10-15 on Steam and iphones.

I'm currently playing Bioshock Infinite via VorpX, and it is amazing.
Thanks to the new direct VR feature and optimized settings, it gets very close to native support in this particular game 
Most other games I've tried have issues and/or no directVR, which makes it a less enjoyable experience.

Here is a list with supported games
https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1nD_HyS8v_zKf9MZ3OYVpdnKAJBeMycGTgFmaJ639Oyg/edit#gid=0
Geometric 3D support is a neccessary requirement for a VR like effect.. DirectVR is also very important, imo. Only a few games support directVR as of now, but it should be more in the future.
And yes, it can be difficult to configurate the games. Sometimes you have to edit config files to disable certain graphic effects, or to get a particular fov.

elboffor
Consultant

XWolven said:

Maybe Airmech command if it wasn't just another Tower Defense game like so many for $10-15 on Steam and iphones.

Its not a tower defence game. Do your research.
This is my forum signature.
There are many others like it, but this is mine.

jayhawk
Superstar
I am the same way. Touch is REALLY great, but all I was really looking forward to was being able to play the games I normally play in VR. Alien Isolation on the DK2 was still my best VR experience and I thought this would pave the way to many other big budget titles having VR compatibility. Not the case of course, but I know many more great games/experiences are to come. Doom 3 is the best big budget FPS w/motion control integration example yet. Too bad we need modders to be able to do this.

matskatsaba
Adventurer

XWolven said:

IDK, been using vorpx for the past few years and to me it seems you just belive everything that`s said.
It is pretty easy to configure, actually. It doesn`t forget your settings if you click [OK and Save] instead of OK.
You can actually download game profiles that are tweaked to work already.
Wasted last week playing through halo for the lols.
Some games require mods (in most of the cases, FOV mod) which you can (and should) use.
The most problems I had with vorpx was GTA V, because almost every stupid update on the game broke the VR mod I was using (and flawless widescreen mod got me banned so had to drop that solution).

Aside that part, I partly agree with OP, 
I couldn`t care less about these touch-wand titles since i love gaming instead of body excercise, my favourite experience with VR was QuakeSpasm between 2013-2016.

Virtual_Davey
Honored Guest
I tend to agree. I hardly ever use my Rift. Perhaps once or twice a month for 1/2 hour. Bought the Touch controllers hoping it would force me to use it more, but I still prefer a standard controller. I have thousands of dollars invested in my VR setups (Rift and PSVR) and if I could return it all, I probably would. I played some of Resident Evil 7 on PSVR, but far prefer playing it on my 8000 series Samsung 4K TV. My 21 year old son feels the same way. 

Anonymous
Not applicable

comedykev said:

Thanks for that riveting post, and in other exciting news today, i'm going for a dump!!

Well that post fits these forums perfectly, ya know since it's owned by facebook - carries over the same ideas people want to share. 

RedRizla
Honored Visionary
@XWolven - I was hoping to play the games you mention and many more like them in VR. I had VorpX, but I uninstalled it. Some people can get along with VorpX and others can't because of sickness and settings ..etc. VorpX was great back in the DK2 days when consumer VR hadn't been released, but it's a shame we still have to rely on program such as VorpX, now that we have consumer VR.

I'm afraid down to the game developers if they want to add VR to their games, but for whatever reason some don't think it's worth it. Back in the DK2 days it seemed developers where really keen and interested in adding VR, but I'm not sure what's happened since then. I don't know what happened with SEGA and Alien Isolation, most of the VR stuff was already in that game so for them to abandon it was a bit of a mystery. I can't blame you for wanting to sell if that's what you'd hoped VR was going to be.