cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

So close to Selling my Rift

DarthHarbin
Explorer
     Gosh I'm so on the verge of Selling my Rift because of the lack of the kinda games I normally play, but on my rift.  I was so Pissed when they dropped plans to make Alien Isolation playable on recent rift editions, and even worse another slap in the face when the next big thing i looked forward to was RE7 and they put a damn timed exclusive on VR for only the PSVR for an entire fucking year!  
   Dude.. I just want to wear my headset like in Doom3 with my normal popular gaming.  No fancy hands motions tracking or roomscale gimmicky crap is necessary.  Just good head tracking and full geometric 3D immersion.  Mouse/Keyboard or Gamepad is completely FINE.   I want to play Alien Isolation, RE7, Fallout 4, GTA4/5, Skyrim, Dark Souls, Deus Ex, and more like that with just the improved immersion of smooth Head Tracking.  
    I might be happier with the PSVR since they seem to be concentrating more primarily on the gaming audience they already have.  The answer to save VR gaming for the time being seems to be getting the current games in developement that they already make good money on, to simply give us the headtracking element that makes immersion much better than just looking at a flat screen.   That's already a huge improvement to immersion.  Those that get sick won't buy but plenty of us still will.  There are tons of gamers in the world and just that little bit of extra immersion is worth it.  Hell i paid alot just for a better sound system with Surround Speakers just to have that better immersion.  Then when more people have headsets, we can experiment with adding more specialized game type that suite more niches.
70 REPLIES 70

RorschachPhoeni
Trustee

Atmos73 said:

The good thing is going forward a lot of game engines now have VR built in to them so there's not much extra work needed to make what would have been a normal PC game a PC VR title.

I don't think this is true.
Excuse my bad english. I speak to you through the google translator. 😛

Anonymous
Not applicable
Why on earth would anyone in their right mind sell their Rift with the likes of Robo Recall, Lone Echo, Artika.1, Star Trek Bridge Crew, Narcosis, Sirens and Fallout 4 VR on the way..?

And you've also got VorpX to take advantage of too as others have mentioned.

And if you haven't already bought the likes of Chronos, Edge Of Nowhere, Adr1ft, The Climb, Unspoken, VR Sports Challenge, Arizona Sunshine, SuperHOT, Dreadhalls, Damaged Core, I Expect You To Die, Technolust, Dead Secret, Esper The Collection, The Assembly, The Vanishing Of Ethan Carter, Windlands, Elite Dangerous, Project Cars and DiRT Rally then you need to do so.

And that's just the games available in the Oculus Store, you've got a shitload of great quality games on Steam too such as Doom 3 BFG Edition, The Solus Project, P.O.L.L.E.N., Subnautica, American Truck Simulator, Euro Truck Simulator, War Thunder, Monstrum and The Town Of Light.

That's 28 great games out now with another 7 on the way soon. Plus VorpX games.

I'm beginning to think that the OP has gone more than a little insane tbh  😮

DarthHarbin
Explorer
Thanks Matskatsaba, I think you may have convinced me to keep and try to soldier on.  Most all the other feedback I saw on VorpX was quite negative but I'll try it out based on your description it might turn things around for me.  
Snowdog.  Most all those games you mention, I'm not interested in.  The one I am are still a long ways off.  I'm really annoyed at how Artika seems to be coming along too as I love that developer and their previous games and things like STALKER.  But they are seem to be turning Artika into more of a rail shooter/shooting gallery with teleport mechanics and I just hate that.  I can't stand standing in one place and just shooting at things while I'm stuck to the ground.  Just as I hate most games that won't let me jump.  It feels like just a cheap simulation.. whereas normally I would feel more immersed in the world moving around in it.  Very wasted opportunity IMO.
    Syndroid, DirectVR sounds much like what I was hoping to hear about when I asked about wanting something like DirectX for VR in all future game developement.  This way the devs don't waste money developing only for the VR gamer population.  They make full profits through he wider gamer population but have the DirectVR that can be used for people with VR headsets, and I agree with that in mind it could be pretty easy for modders to mod such games using such engines in the future to have VR support.  I just thought I would be hearing about it more than I do so far.  
   Lovethis: The reason why that devs got less excited recently I think is cause the widespread talk of Motion Sickness.  Which I think is a bit overblown, as in.. Not as bad as it seems and maybe many more people are starting to overcome it while there are some that may never, I think there's many more that have and will.  Also I think they got overwhelmed trying to work out how to utilize the motion tracked hand controllers.. and thought maybe that would be too difficult for such a small number of gamers.
   Thanks everyone for commenting.  I think this needs a lot more discussion to keep devs informed of the changing VR landscape.  I also want to get an idea how many gamers out there are happy to have just basic VR support with a gamepad or keyboard/mouse.  Cause the more devs that see we are content to have just that for now, they may be more motivated to put the small bit of extra work into providing that extra support in their normal game development.  I'm definitely going to go try VorpX.  Also need to try DolphinVR which sounds pretty great for some extra kicks!

DarthHarbin
Explorer
Also Syndroid or Matskatsaba, What video card do you have and are the frame rates pretty good in the games you like to play through VorpX?  I have a Geforce 1070 with an Intel XEON 1231 Processor that gets up to about 3.8 ghz.

vlodato
Adventurer
I just don't understand the lure of playing a game like there's a gun strapped to your forehead.... that's in essence what your asking for. I guess to each their own.

Syndroid
Heroic Explorer

XWolven said:

Also Syndroid or Matskatsaba, What video card do you have and are the frame rates pretty good in the games you like to play through VorpX?  I have a Geforce 1070 with an Intel XEON 1231 Processor that gets up to about 3.8 ghz.

I only have a 970 and Bioshock Infinite can be a bit choppy at times, but it's not a huge issue for me. 
Some games like Black Mesa on the other hand run perfectly smooth.
Speaking of Black Mesa.. that one works really great as well, but this and some other games, have a huge issue, with the scale of the first person weapon models, because they're being rendered with a different FOV than the rest of the game..
If the games are running on a locked engine without mod support,  there is no way to fix stuff like that.
And the ridiciously huge weapons in Black Mesa are somewhat gamebreaking for me, sadly.

You've mentioned DolphinVR..It's definitely worth trying out.. Some games work impressively well with the right settings.
Games I'd recommend: Timesplitters 3, Lego Star Wars, Metroid Prime, Soul Calibur 2, Crash Bandicoot Wrath of Cortex.
They all require messing around with the setup though, and there are issues like locked 60fps and culling. But if setup properly you can get really good VR experiences out of it.

As for Gamepad vs Motion Controlls. 
Touch is amazing but I don't think it is a necessarily requirement. Doom 3 with Touch is probably the best VR game I've played so far.
On the other hand, Resident Evil 7 offers a better VR experience than many Touch titles available at the moment,imo, simply because of its production values. 
Most current PCVR exclusive titles, are cheap indie games compared to the likes of Bioshock Infinite, which can be experienced in "good enough VR" via VorpX right now.
I have to say, though, Bioshock is an exeption regarding VorpX support.

DarthHarbin
Explorer

vlodato said:

I just don't understand the lure of playing a game like there's a gun strapped to your forehead.... that's in essence what your asking for. I guess to each their own.

We've been doing so for centuries.  I guess you're not from that Doom/Quake fps generation.  I never get the feeling the gun is stuck to my forehead and that point is pretty mute anyway with proper head tracking now my head is not at all connected to my shooting other than having to see what I'm shooting at.  
   I really  think most gamers are pretty lazy like me actually and don't want to move around too much while gaming.  People that like the Wii are more into that kinda gaming but that's still a niche of the larger gamer population.  Do you remember when touchscreen monitors came out, how that was all the rage?  Then when people actually tried using them, they realized that reaching out and having to touch and constantly moving their hands around in the air to navigate a desktop was way more tiring and not near as efficient as making minute movements with a simple mouse to get around the screen.  Of course it doesn't look as cool in hacker movies, which is why we never see a mouse used in hacker situations in movies.. just not enough dramatic movements.  I'm actually a bit disabled too and can't walk normal so that has something to do with it, but even before my disability I don't think i would have liked for long term moving around too much while gaming.

GenetixStudio
Superstar
I just don't get how anyone is complaining here. We have high end Virtual Reality available for consumers at a price point that doesn't require selling your home to afford. We have a great existing library of content that is growing every single week. What world do you live in where you aren't satisfied with where we are at? VR does have a long ways to go, a great path to improve upon, and will eventually see more triple A games and experiences, but honestly if you aren't happy with what we have today - you will never be happy with anything in life.

Put the headset on and enjoy some time in building and exploring in Minecraft, with Chronos, get lost in Obduction, play a few rounds of Blazerush, shoot and kill those glassy enemies in Superhot, help Luckey find those coins, head into Sportsbar VR and play some pool, throw darts, air hockey. Face the horrifying creatures in Edge of Nowhere, or the nightmarish scapes of Albino Lullaby, and then try out the hundreds of other games and experiences for the Rift.

Are you not entertained?

Zenbane
MVP
MVP

I just don't get how anyone is complaining here.

Not that my answer applies to the OP necessarily, but we live in an age where people are simply entitled to have expectations of any sort, where logic and reason are completely optional, and they will get angry if not met.

Check out this article by a VR developer who discusses how silly it is for people to get mad that development studios get "free money" to bring VR content to end-users:
http://www.polygon.com/2016/12/8/13891322/vr-funding-oculus-vive
I don’t understand getting mad at Oculus for funding VR games, nor do I understand getting mad at anyone who would dare accept a technological, promotional and monetary relationship with an ally as powerful as Intel. There’s likely no part of the game that wasn’t improved by having development help from engineers from Intel, not to mention the promotion, which is nearly priceless for smaller developers.

There ended up being zero downside for players, but they’re still mad. Because a company dared to fund some good VR.

Heck, just look at that new "Dead & Buried" thread on the forum, where a user is insulting the developers simply because there isn't enough people joining his multiplayer games lol

I'm not sure when the exact moment occurred... but at some point I woke up to a world where "complaining" is practically a new Food Group 😮

DarthHarbin
Explorer
This isn't just complaining to complain.  This is trying to learn where to focus development to save VR from becoming a temporary gimmick trend. People need to pipe up and share how they feel and express what they are happy with and what might also be considered a waste of resources.  I'm not real hard to please and if anything, in a way.. I'm asking for less.  Less to build a foundation on before moving to games developed purely for VR only.  I play games every day, but very little compels me to but on my headset for the past 6 months and maybe for another year before there's stuff out I'm really excited to dive into.  The main game I bought my rift for to try out was Alien Isolation.  -cockblocked.  Then Resident Evil 7 looked great. -cockblocked again.  Now there's just Fallout 4, and that's still a year away.  Why so long?  Because they don't want to release it with just the headtracking.. no they have to do all this extra work to make a "proper" VR experience and implement teleportation mechanics (A huge pain in the ass to implement by the way) and touch/wand controls.  (A bunch of new art assets to have to build.) which all this takes alot more time and money to create so you can be sure this new Fallout DLC is going to cost something.  Where if we just got the headtracking it could be out already and it wouldn't cost anything probably.  Later they could do the extra work and then charge for that later dlc update.
   So hopefully the moding community will step up and do what the devs won't do.  But you know, normally the moding community is huge and full of great talent.. but this VR moding community.  I don't know if it's big enough yet.  Hopefully this year we will see something happen to kick things off.