cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Fix temporarily Oculus 1.11 tracking problem (UPDATED 08/02/2017)

AlehandoroVR
Protege
**NEW UPDATE IN POST 16
THIS SOLUTION IS TEMPORARY AND DOES NOT GUARANTEE THE SOLUTION OF THE PROBLEM OR THE IMPROVEMENT OF THE TRACKING

This is the most disastrous way to solve the tracking problem that has been caused by the Oculus Home update 1.11.

It is a very sloppy way to solve it. I was an OSVR user and I had to take the same solution to improve the tracking until I was able to update the firmware of the LED controller.

To put everything in situ this was my problem:

And now this is how it works:

There has been no change of software, nor of position, everything is exactly the same with the same hardware, same cables and same installation of windows / software.

I have not been able to check if it also solves the height problem since I'm doing the tracking tests right now, but for now I've only been able to solve the problem with the Right Touch, but fixing it on the left would not take more than 5 minutes.
As I point out this is a temporary solution until Oculus releases a real solution to our problem.

This problem also appeared in OSVR from the beginning, and was due to a problem in the "blinking" or synchronization of the LEDs that caused jumps to spoil the whole experience.

At the time the publication of the firmware that solved the problem in OSVR consisted in a rewriting of the code of synchronization and the shutdown of certain LEDs of the HMD to facilitate its vision by part of the sensor.

I discovered (it is on reddit in case you want to look for it https://www.reddit.com/r/OSVR/comments/501ta6/osvr_hdk_tracking_demonstration_pre_post_ir_board/ ) that plugging those infrared leds with black tape would get practically the same effect as updating the firmware.

And indeed, the same solution I adopted at OSVR has come back to work here until Oculus solves the problem via software.

7pftl3d79mc3.jpg

Sorry for my English.

28 REPLIES 28

AlehandoroVR
Protege

Example working fix in Touch

Before:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7mgFFjRLY2Q

After:

https://youtu.be/eMzngpUb7jE

Example working fix in HMD

Before: 

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vtikf5aCN8s

After:

https://youtu.be/_tlPHc6_rpc

And there are my blocked LEDs in Touchs:

3izhbbg1qek8.jpgns9wr2vgljsp.jpgeozoffoh51h1.jpg 

matskatsaba
Adventurer
Wow. Works like a charm. Thanks!

FlakMagnet
Adventurer
@Alehandoro What's the application you're using that shows the sensor placement and field of view? The one with the desk and lamp.

Something like this would be really useful in the sensor setup of OH. I know we have the 2D view of where your sensors are placed and where they overlap, but a VR view of the sensor 'cones' and where they overlap would be really helpful!

AlehandoroVR
Protege

@Alehandoro What's the application you're using that shows the sensor placement and field of view? The one with the desk and lamp.

Something like this would be really useful in the sensor setup of OH. I know we have the 2D view of where your sensors are placed and where they overlap, but a VR view of the sensor 'cones' and where they overlap would be really helpful!

The app is DeskScene 😉

AlehandoroVR
Protege
NEW UPDATE:

Blocking these LEDs only in the CV1 and leaving all free in the Touch with this tracking.

On both sides same LEDs:
8mego7t17h82.jpg

9h7knm74w6jy.jpg6ncua806c1iy.jpg

will84
Expert Protege
@Alehandoro

Great work sir  🙂

do you think the leds you have taped over are not blinking at the right frequency & a firmware update could possibly fix?

Or possibly the led's you have taped over are faulty in some way?
Other people may have the fault in other position's on their headset. I
am having more severe problems than your facing, before the update I had
problems the update made it worse.

AlehandoroVR
Protege
@will84 I did not have this problem in version 1.10, so yes, it is a software problem.

I do not know if they fix it soon, I guess in the next Update we should not have this problem anymore.

Takes 5 minutes to lock the LEDs, try to see if it works. But then you make it normal again.

And tell me.

will84
Expert Protege
@Alehandoro

I had the problem with 1.10 any idea why? the 1.11 made it worse. Do you know what would be the problem in my specific case.

I have already ruled out setup of sensor, usb etc. Have no tape to try, but well done for your ingenuity.

thanks

Anonymous
Not applicable

NEW UPDATE:

Blocking these LEDs only in the CV1 and leaving all free in the Touch with this tracking.

On both sides same LEDs:
8mego7t17h82.jpg

9h7knm74w6jy.jpg6ncua806c1iy.jpg

Wow, that looks very promising, will try that tomorrow.

TickTock
Heroic Explorer
I had my doubts about this but thought it was easy enough to try (and harmless since I used gaffers tape).  Didn't work for me.  Made the Oculus Home bile inducing and my hands were about 20 feet behind me.  I then reset the sensor tracking and tried to rerun setup but couldn't make it through until I removed the tape.  Too bad - would have been nice to have a stop-gap solution.
"I'm not crazy about reality, but it's still the only place to get a decent meal."
 -Groucho Marx
Get Help
Did this answer your question? If it didn’t, use our search to find other topics or create your own and other members of the community will help out.

Check out some popular posts here:
Getting Help from the Meta Quest Community
Tips and Tricks: Charging your Meta Quest Headset
Tips and Tricks: Help with Pairing your Meta Quest
Trouble With Facebook/Instagram Accounts?