cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Oculus CV1 Head Tracking a stuttering nightmare suddenly! Desperate to fix!

PayneSculptures
Explorer
Hello Oculus forum members. I am having a major issue with my system head tracking. Please help!!!:

I have had my Oculus Rift and Touch and new PC since this past Christmas '16, and it worked perfectly in Oculus Home with smooth head tracking on my 2 sensor forward facing setup. About 3 days ago I decided to update my Nvidia driver (and Java to run the nvidia system scanner) for the first time (without noting what driver version shipped with the system). After updating to the  newest official Nvidia driver for my GTX970 (driver ver 376.33), and starting up home, the Rift (CV1) head tracking is completely ruined. It stutters/lags continuously with any movement. Again I don't know which driver version it shipped with but I have tried to install various older versions of the Nvidia drivers and tried to use Display Driver Uninstaller (DDU) to completely wipe the old drivers and re-update to 376.33. Nothing works. Not even a partial system roll back (although I have not fully restored/wiped the system to factory settings as a have a lot of oculus software downloaded). 

Additional info:
- Again DDU was used to clean-wipe the display driver and re-install 376.33 clean and this did not fix in any way.
-The headset is plugged into a USB 3 port that has not had any issues. after this issue I tried updating the drivers and that cause no head tracking so I was able to roll back to the factory USB 3 driver and the port seems totally normal/fine now.
-I have confirmed with the oculus debug tool that ASW is NOT on. 
- I have also made sure to remove any Asus software that even resembles system monitoring add-ins as those can cause Oculus latency issues (for example AI Suite is not on my system).
-I have tried systematically turning off any background system software processes that seem like they could cause a conflict (example printer drivers, Audio drivers). 

Nothing has improved the stuttering tracking at all and I am left with the crushing realization that I now have an $1800 (new PC/Oculus/Touch combo) paperweight. Please advise! I am desperate and my wife is furious to boot!

My system config: 
Manufacterer/Model: Asus ROG G20CB
processor: i7 3.4ghz 6700
RAM: 16gb DDR 4 2133mhz
Videocard: GTX 970
Windows 10 home 64-bit

THANK YOU IN ADVANCE!!!

Jonathan Payne
22 REPLIES 22

PayneSculptures
Explorer
Hello Cyberreality! I it appears to have been fixed by USB balancing after all! I found that two of my ports labeled as 3.0 in the Oculus sytem profiler are actually 2.0. Once I realized this (and that they were therefore on their own controller) I moved the sensors to the USB2 ports and now everything is finally working! HOOOOOORRAAAAYYYY

cybereality
Grand Champion
Awesome! Thanks for following up with the solution.
AMD Ryzen 7 1800X | MSI X370 Titanium | G.Skill 16GB DDR4 3200 | EVGA SuperNOVA 1000 | Corsair Hydro H110i Gigabyte RX Vega 64 x2 | Samsung 960 Evo M.2 500GB | Seagate FireCuda SSHD 2TB | Phanteks ENTHOO EVOLV

JesseDeya
Expert Protege
Hey Cyber, has Oculus considered issuing or recommending a tool that can let people scan their system easily for it's USB bus configuration and then try to make educated decisions on how to plug in devices?

For instance, Aida64 has a really good USB bus report - it's not free but perhaps OVR could license a cut down version of Aida64 that just enabled Rift users to assess their system in an interpretable way.

cybereality
Grand Champion
That's not a bad idea. We do have the Compatibility Tool ( https://ocul.us/compat-tool ) which has some basic detection of supported or unsupported ports. However, you'll still have to switch around the USB ports yourself to find the best configuration.
AMD Ryzen 7 1800X | MSI X370 Titanium | G.Skill 16GB DDR4 3200 | EVGA SuperNOVA 1000 | Corsair Hydro H110i Gigabyte RX Vega 64 x2 | Samsung 960 Evo M.2 500GB | Seagate FireCuda SSHD 2TB | Phanteks ENTHOO EVOLV

JesseDeya
Expert Protege
You could still do that, but with the right tool have a user take a single sensor and one by one plug it into each USB port. The software could then tell you basics like:

The port your sensor is currently plugged into is:
A USB 3.0 port, controlled by Intel Controller, driver version xxxxx.
Your sensor is running at SuperSpeed - USB 3.0. OK.

User manually moves to a new port....

A USB 3.1 A port, controlled by Intel Controller, driver version xxxxx.
Your sensor is running at HiSpeed - USB 2.0. There may be a driver issue or incompatibility with this port.

User manually moves to a new port....

A USB 3.0 port, controlled by ASMedia controller, driver version xxxxx.
Your sensor is running at SuperSpeed - USB 3.0. OK.

cybereality
Grand Champion
Well, the tool is already doing all that behind the scenes, it just doesn't display all the details.

will84
Expert Protege
great idea, maybe at the beginning on the sensor scan screen where it gives error codes identify there.

maybe add a part in the compatibility tool for oculus touch, 2 sensor compatible, 3 sensor experimental 😉 compatible etc

(does anyone have a list of what all the error codes mean, I know if gives suggestions about usb possibly being overloaded etc)

edit: obviously sort the bugs out first, adding more stuff not a good idea I think lol

PayneSculptures
Explorer
BAD NEWS UPDATE: Hi Cybereality - After about 3 1/2 weeks of *fixed* tracking the problem has just randomly surfaced for no particular reason. My roommate was playing Dead and Buried and then reported that the tracking just started jumping. The REALLY frustrating part is now, no matter how I plug in my USB devices it does not seem to make ANY difference! Just the same stuttering tracking that skips/jumps around twice a second on a regular cadence. BTW the update to Home 1.11 did not seem to have any negative effect on my system one way or the other. ONE THING to notice though is once this tracking issue got going, with my roommate playing yesterday on the 19th, the floor height bug started which has never happened on my system before and we all know that this is a common reported issue with 1.11. So my working theory is that maybe this is still a software issue but one that is closely tied to the hardware setup and can be turned on/off depending on some arcane combination of USB hubs, USB balancing and software updates. Would it be helpful for me to update a new log?

PayneSculptures
Explorer
Here it is:

PayneSculptures
Explorer
Update: Other users on reddit are reporting an update on exactly the same day as my tracking stopped working. Can anyone confirm this on their systems that the recent weekend update caused tracking issues?:

NOTE: i just checked my long and there was definitely a firmware update! Going through my system logs i had:

ver: 1.11.0.335772 - from Jan 31st. (worked fine)
THEN updated to 1.11.0.343615 - On Feb 16th (NOW BROKEN!)