cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

For those who have both, Is PSVR worth buying if I already have an Oculus Rift?

Dumpy4Life
Honored Guest
Is the PSVR worth buying if I already own an oculus rift? 
21 REPLIES 21

GenetixStudio
Superstar
Depends on your situation - can you afford to 2 top end VR headsets? In many ways I'd take a Rift over a PSVR anyday, but on the other hand owning both would be cool and I'd love to if possible, if anything to support the VR industry.

Things to consider are exclusives (both have a few that stand out), convenience (Oculus wins for me, but depends on your setup PSVR is a cable nightmare), comfort (PSVR does win here) and so on...

Percy1983
Superstar
I don't own a PSVR but have used on at a friends, perosnally I would say the RIft + Touch is better overall and if a game is on both I would say play on the rift easily.

But the PSVR isn't bad and mostly suffers tracking issues and the controllers, what it comes down to is if you want to play the PSVR exclusives and if that want is enough to justify the cost of a PSVR setup, in my case I don't even own a PS4 so the cost of PS4+PSVR is just to much for me to justify but of course thats all down to personal opinion and what the value is to me.
Asrock Z77 Extreme 4 + 16GB RAM 1866mhz + i5-3570K at 4.5Ghz + Coolermaster Nepton 140XL cooler Sapphire 8GB RX 580 Nitro+ 256Gb SDD Samsung Evo 850 +3x2TB in raid 0 with 64GB SSD cache Thermaltake Level 10 GT Snow Edition + Toughpower 875w

Shadowmask72
Honored Visionary
If you can afford both then yes. If it is a case of selling one to get the other then it's not so clear cut. Depends what you want and whether certain games appeal to you or not. Many PSVR games will be coming to other platforms further down the road like RE 7 so if you can wait then it's not so much a must have. That said, there are other games that are locked into PSVR so really it boils down to your gaming tastes. I am quite happy owning both.

System Specs: MSI NVIDIA RTX 4090 , i5 13700K CPU, 32GB DDR 4 RAM, Win 11 64 Bit OS.

Is the PSVR worth buying if I already own an oculus rift? 

Spend the money on a 1080 (if you don't have one) and more experiences on the Rift.
Big PC, all the headsets, now using Quest 3

danknugz
Superstar
i would rather save the money for the next pc upgrade whether its gpu cpu or whatever 
A: Because it messes up the order in which people normally read text. Q: Why is top-posting such a bad thing? A: Top-posting. Q: What is the most annoying thing on forums?

MowTin
Expert Trustee
I think he was asking if the PSVR experience is worth paying for if you have a Rift. He's not asking about affordability or practicality. Just is the experience using the PSVR a huge downgrade from the Rift.

I would also like to know. 
i7 9700k 3090 rtx   CV1, Rift-S, Index, G2

Percy1983
Superstar
Tracking wise its is worse than the rift, screen wise its actually rather good to say its lower resolution.
Asrock Z77 Extreme 4 + 16GB RAM 1866mhz + i5-3570K at 4.5Ghz + Coolermaster Nepton 140XL cooler Sapphire 8GB RX 580 Nitro+ 256Gb SDD Samsung Evo 850 +3x2TB in raid 0 with 64GB SSD cache Thermaltake Level 10 GT Snow Edition + Toughpower 875w

JesseDeya
Expert Protege

MowTin said:

I think he was asking if the PSVR experience is worth paying for if you have a Rift. He's not asking about affordability or practicality. Just is the experience using the PSVR a huge downgrade from the Rift.

I would also like to know. 

He doesn't seem to be asking about upgrade/downgrade per se.

Actually the thing that makes the PSVR appealing isn't the tech specs, but the content.

I own both, but right now I'm much more interested in the PSVR games, and ease of use, that the Rift. There are some duplication in titles for sure, and for ones that need finesse in hand controls I would recommend the Rift/Touch combo everyday (when it works).

Having said that, PSVR is very easy to take on and off, well balanced and comfortable. It doesn't make your face hot, and you can wear it for a long time. The PSVR is much much much better when you have friends or casuals over who want to play VR, and I did that a lot over the Christmas break. It's also just easier to pickup and use (imho) than the Rift. I carried my PS4 Pro and PSVR around in a backpack over the break for 4 weeks and set it up in at least 5 different places, within minutes we were ready to play.

If you have the cash to get a PS4 Pro (recommended) and a PSVR then I think you'll enjoy it, but don't expect 'value for money' in the traditional sense. If you want value then absolutely just stick with the Rift you already have and accept you'll miss out on some VR coolness now and again.

Also, RE7.

BrokenSymmetry
Heroic Explorer
I envy some of the ps4 exclusives. Those alone makes it worth it.