cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

For those who have both, Is PSVR worth buying if I already have an Oculus Rift?

Dumpy4Life
Honored Guest
Is the PSVR worth buying if I already own an oculus rift? 
21 REPLIES 21

danknugz
Superstar
none of the psvr exclusive games interest me
A: Because it messes up the order in which people normally read text. Q: Why is top-posting such a bad thing? A: Top-posting. Q: What is the most annoying thing on forums?

Shadowmask72
Honored Visionary
No. The PSVR experience is not a "huge downgrade" from the Rift in fact on the contrary. Despite what some people might lead you to believe the PSVR is more comfortable to wear although this might be subjective based on head shape and size. PSVR has the software support not found elsewhere and NO GOD-RAYS which is quite a big deal for some people. The visual quality holds up well when playing games.

However, it's not all smelling of mint flavoured poo. The old school tracking ,whilst competent (depending on environment) is not as good for sure and huge step back compared to Vive and Rift. But not all games support tracked controllers. The image quality isn't massively different with a comparable field of view but the mura is horrible, probably the most impacting of the three HMDs. 

I certainly don't feel like I am having an inferior VR experience when playing games on the PSVR PS4 Pro combo which says a lot really.

Take that as you will.

System Specs: MSI NVIDIA RTX 4090 , i5 13700K CPU, 32GB DDR 4 RAM, Win 11 64 Bit OS.

vannagirl
Consultant
I have used the psvr once I experience the issues some here have with cv1 but with psvr it drives me so loco

2 days just to get this to work also worse tracking it is however so comfy and no God rays(I am a Catholic girl though so God rays are a way of life 😛 )

I have only used this a short time though as i sayI am waiting on the content I will enjoy and hoping it improves overall and Sony keeps up support
Look, man. I only need to know one thing: where they are. 

BrokenSymmetry
Heroic Explorer

danknugz said:

Then maybe you are not into action RPG...

The last of us
Uncharted
Nioh

Just to name a few.

GravityX
Protege
I have both. While I like, and use my Rift more than the PSVR, it's worth it if the exclusives interest you. I think I've mentioned on this forum before, but one of my favorite VR experiences, so far, has been the Batman: Arkham VR game. It was pretty short, but it was really well done, and made very good use of VR in general.

Like others mentioned, if a game is available on both, I'd play it on the Rift. The Rift + Touch are much better to me than the PSVR + Move controllers. I haven't had too many issues with either VR system. One complaint I have of the PSVR is that it's distance from the camera is much more limited than the Rift. I have my gaming PC, PS4 and other consoles in an entertainment stand in my game room. If I want to play PSVR while sitting, I need to move the camera closer to my couch, otherwise the camera can't see me.

If you guys have any specific questions regarding comparing the two, I can try and answer them.

JaimieVandenber
Heroic Explorer
I have both (and a Vive). The reason to get one is content - there's no way I couldn't play Rez Infinite in VR, so that was it. Sold.

Actually I did have a go on a PSVR first (at EGX games expo) to make sure it wasn't dreadful. It's remarkably good for the awful cheapo way they've done it, better than how I remember the DK2 being though I don't have one on hand to compare. I love the way the PSVR pixels are treated so that you can't see the RGB subpixels. The tracking for the HMD and controllers is perfectly competent. No god-rays, because no fresnel.

Unless you have a need to spend £390 in order to play a £15 game like I do, it's probably not worthwhile if you already have more capable VR kit like the Rift. (I have form on this - I bought my first Xbox360 to play RezHD back in the day! And other games, but Rez was the trigger)

danknugz
Superstar

danknugz said:

Then maybe you are not into action RPG...

The last of us
Uncharted
Nioh

Just to name a few.

those arent VR games.

besides, those mainstream games annoy me because of all the fanboyism, hype and popularity. slightly akin to why i dont listen to lady gaga or dubstep.

A: Because it messes up the order in which people normally read text. Q: Why is top-posting such a bad thing? A: Top-posting. Q: What is the most annoying thing on forums?

Anonymous
Not applicable
 I would say for Resident Evil 7 alone it is worth the purchase.  I also beat it on a PS4 Pro so that definitely helps the graphics, but even on a regular PS4 it's still is amazingly good for what is and what it's playing on. The only issue that I really see with it at all as lack of content right now. You will find a lot of Steam VR games on there but they look better in the Rift. There are a few games that are exclusive that may be good but we won't know until they are released.

I haven't regretted my purchase at all, but if you are tight on funds I would just wait for the next GEN.  If money isn't an option then it's not a bad buy.  The one good thing about console VR as that it is optimized for that one standard. I can't tell you how many times I've bought a VR game and it works great on one persons PC and on mine it runs like crap and I have a high end PC. You are guaranteed the games will play the same regardless of where you are playing them,  and I think that is its best feature.

inovator
Consultant
Userd  that's why before vr I always bought consoles. Something always went wrong when doing pc. WHen 2d gaming I always use my playstation 4 rather than pc. I get alot of flogging for that especially from my son but I love the consistency. Vr is different I love my rift but I bought my playstation pro recently  (great trade in for my playstation 4) for the purpose of sony vr. I'll buy it when I can get from amazon or best buy. I like the return policy's from those merchants. 

Steffen
Protege

No. The PSVR experience is not a "huge downgrade" from the Rift in fact on the contrary. Despite what some people might lead you to believe the PSVR is more comfortable to wear although this might be subjective based on head shape and size. PSVR has the software support not found elsewhere and NO GOD-RAYS which is quite a big deal for some people. The visual quality holds up well when playing games.

However, it's not all smelling of mint flavoured poo. The old school tracking ,whilst competent (depending on environment) is not as good for sure and huge step back compared to Vive and Rift. But not all games support tracked controllers. The image quality isn't massively different with a comparable field of view but the mura is horrible, probably the most impacting of the three HMDs. 

I certainly don't feel like I am having an inferior VR experience when playing games on the PSVR PS4 Pro combo which says a lot really.

Take that as you will.

Hmm the no god rays almost is enough to make me get a PS4 and PS4VR. I have a question regarding movies and theater on PSVR, is it good and still without god rays? I mostly is turned off when watching video in the rift.