cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Oculus now selling replacement cables

J-Archer
Protege
i see we finally have replacement cables and other various bits, just wondered what you all think of the price? £49 for a cable in the UK seems a little steep? or is it just me? 
9 REPLIES 9

falken76
Expert Consultant
Sounds reasonable to me.  It combines USB and HDMI into a single interface and it's proprietary.  Seems to fall in line with what other manufactures would charge for a non generic cable.

49 quid?  I shall wait until a new company starts selling knock-off gear on Ebay for a poorly octupus (six quid).  Perhaps they will be called Mockulus?
Big PC, all the headsets, now using Quest 3

Warbloke
Superstar

andyring said:

49 quid?  I shall wait until a new company starts selling knock-off gear on Ebay for a poorly octupus (six quid).  Perhaps they will be called Mockulus?

you surely mean 6 squid ?
"You can't believe everything you read on the Internet " :- Abraham Lincoln 

Warbloke said:

andyring said:

you surely mean 6 squid ?

I don't think it matters, it's how it sounds.

Bloody ruined now anyway, cheers!   :s
Big PC, all the headsets, now using Quest 3

J-Archer
Protege

falken76 said:

Sounds reasonable to me.  It combines USB and HDMI into a single interface and it's proprietary.  Seems to fall in line with what other manufactures would charge for a non generic cable.

How does this remotely sound reasonable? This is half the problem today, just because people like Apple rip customers off, all of a sudden everything "falls into line".  What a load of crap

elboffor
Consultant
But you've got to remember, they put it in a box amd post it too...
This is my forum signature.
There are many others like it, but this is mine.

falken76
Expert Consultant

J-Archer said:

falken76 said:

How does this remotely sound reasonable? This is half the problem today, just because people like Apple rip customers off, all of a sudden everything "falls into line".  What a load of crap

Because I personally don't think it's a ripoff.  I keep spare parts for a lot of my stuff.  I'd buy this just to have on hand in case I needed it.  It's not like I have to buy this thing over and over and over again.  If that is the case I'd be pissed because they obviously used cheap parts.

Percy1983
Superstar
I will say looking at the oculus cable its not the cheapest to produce, yes I am happy with my £1.50 2m hdmi cables, bout would expect to pay more for a higher quality and longer cable.

Simple plan is to not do anything which will make me need to buy another.
Asrock Z77 Extreme 4 + 16GB RAM 1866mhz + i5-3570K at 4.5Ghz + Coolermaster Nepton 140XL cooler Sapphire 8GB RX 580 Nitro+ 256Gb SDD Samsung Evo 850 +3x2TB in raid 0 with 64GB SSD cache Thermaltake Level 10 GT Snow Edition + Toughpower 875w

RonsonPL
Heroic Explorer
Sorry for being late, I wasn't tracking the news and forum in past few days.

At first I saw this:
http://i1.wp.com/www.roadtovr.com/wp-content/uploads/2017/02/oculus-rift-accessories.jpg
but then I clicked to see prices for Europe.

Holy moly.

This cannot be regarded in any other way than as a proof that Rift and Touch aren't priced as they could be, but rather priced for "people who are enthusiasts are willing to pay a lot, so let's up the price".
I mean, look at Apple or Beats by Dre headphones. Or prices of games and hardware in Europe. Why they are more expensive? Because people are willing to pay.
But VR are not headphones or smartphones. It's a thing that needs a boost for the start.

40€ for remote that most likely costs 5$ to produce?
60 freaking € for a freaking USB cable. A freaking CABLE!

But it all fits to the bigger picture. Oculus doesn't give a ship about PC VR so they, like Valve, just target the richest people and price their stuff like Apple does.

Seriously. This USB cable price is so Apple that it hurts my teeth!
I wish Oculus just stepped out and clearly stated "We are done with PC VR, we are social/mobile only now".

Not an Oculus hater, but not a fan anymore. Still lots of respect for the team-Carmack, Abrash. Oculus is driven by big corporation principles now. That brings painful effects already, more to come in the future. This is not the Oculus I once cheered for.