cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Question about Oculus and their thoughts on Equipment lead length.

Log_a_Frog
Heroic Explorer
To me, it seems like they made this so you are sitting at a chair in front of your computer only.
If you look at games like Arizona Sunshine.. you need a lot of space.

Is it not that hard to ask that oculus make the sensors with the Max length of 5m.. ?? 
Is it not that hard to get an option for an extra 5m extension cord to suit the headset.. that is one make specifically for it... nice and neat.

Why do manufacturers also just offer the bare minimum?????

Honestly 3mtrs extra on your sensor lead would not cost much to mass produce, even if it was an extension.

Everyone.. Please make your thoughts heard

17 REPLIES 17

TwoHedWlf
Expert Trustee
You can buy extension leads.  The length they provide is ok for the minimum, and keeps the price of the hardware down.  Add longer active leads price goes up, sales go down, price goes up even more.

Techy111
MVP
MVP
Cor look at that woman, she's very pretty and has hu............ hang on, are you hearing my thoughts????  😮
A PC with lots of gadgets inside and a thing to see in 3D that you put on your head.

Log_a_Frog
Heroic Explorer

TwoHedWlf said:

You can buy extension leads.  The length they provide is ok for the minimum, and keeps the price of the hardware down.  Add longer active leads price goes up, sales go down, price goes up even more.

You can.. but you need a hdmi repeater and all this other rubbish where you need to know all the dynamics.
Easier just to provide the right gear straight up.. no confusion. 

GATOxVoS
Heroic Explorer
You're right. For a long time, Oculus only focused on a front-facing setup (and arguably, they still are only focused on the front-facing setup). But after seeing how popular Vive's roomscale setup and the games made for it were, Oculus knew they had to do something to match, and so now they are. They're recommending certain extenders for people who need extra cable length for roomscale setups, and have provided good guides in how to best setup roomscale for the Oculus.

Main point being: Oculus's CV1 kit is designed for a front-facing setup, and if you do the setup as described, you wont need longer wires than those that are provided. You can still play Arizona Sunshine (I have), and all front-facing games that are on the Oculus Store without problem. Yes, space is always nice. Its extra-nice in Arizona Sunshine, not having to warp inch after inch so you can get into that filing cabinet for the ammo you need, instead, just walking up to it. But again, front-facing standing setup is what Oculus Touch 2-sensor was made for, and for that, the Oculus company has provided us with exactly what us consumers need to achieve such a setup.
PC Specs:
Intel i7-6700k @ 4.5 Ghz
Gigabyte Z170X-Gaming 3 Motherboard
RTX 2080 Ti - MSI VENTUS
16 GB CAS-10 RAM @ 2400 MHz
Startech 4-port/4-USB controller add-on card
850W Corsair HX850 PSU
4-Sensor, Roomscale Setup

Log_a_Frog
Heroic Explorer
Try opening car doors and getting the items inside with Ariz

GATOxVoS
Heroic Explorer
I have, it's annoying, but it's doable. I got used to making very minute movements with the teleport system. Getting as close to the car door as possible, opening it (having to usually pull it through your body instead of standing around it), and then teleporting once more to get near the ammo. I've found this task to be much less painful when I added a few extra feet between my center starting position in VR and the front guardian wall. This gives you some room to teleport near the car door, walk a step or two up to it, open it while moving backwards to avoid it, and then possibly a little room to be able to reach the ammo, all without doing a lot of teleporting.

I'm not saying it's a perfect experience. And I won't not (double negative) recommend buying accessories to lengthen the cables to make your play area larger, as well as get a 3rd sensor (I thoroughly enjoy my upgrade to a 360 3-sensor setup, with which I do now have more room to move and more options of interaction with the virtual environment with a standing setup).

Again, its annoying, but it's still playable to the fullest extent (specifically Arizona Sunshine). Yes, longer cables would be nice right out of the box from the manufacturer, but it just isn't necessary for the front-facing 2 sensor setup. As of right now, I wouldn't be using that extra length for my setup. I am a lucky one with where my computer is placed though in relation to my playspace.
PC Specs:
Intel i7-6700k @ 4.5 Ghz
RTX 2080 Ti - MSI VENTUS
850W Corsair HX850 PSU

Log_a_Frog
Heroic Explorer
Yeh it is necessary... Do you want to take your computer with you outside?

Percy1983
Superstar

molokow said:

Easier just to provide the right gear straight up.. no confusion. 

I would rather not have to stash another surplus 3 meters of cable I have enough surplus as it is.
Asrock Z77 Extreme 4 + 16GB RAM 1866mhz + i5-3570K at 4.5Ghz + Coolermaster Nepton 140XL cooler Sapphire 8GB RX 580 Nitro+ 256Gb SDD Samsung Evo 850 +3x2TB in raid 0 with 64GB SSD cache Thermaltake Level 10 GT Snow Edition + Toughpower 875w

GATOxVoS
Heroic Explorer
@Percy1983 - Thank you. I too would have to stash extra length if the cables were any longer.

@molokow  - I clearly gave you options for working with the small cable length, and I believe I did ok at justifying why the cable length is the way it is. If you need more cable length, go buy extension cables. It's not Oculus' job to extend their original cables because your setup is in an extraordinary circumstance, or because you refuse to try different setups that would possibly be a better fit for your situation.

They provided exactly the right gear for what their product does. My computer is humming safely right next to me, not outside, and all I need to do is put on my headset, push-off from my desk about 2-3ft to get to the center of my playspace, then I'm setup in my 360 standing setup (2mx1.5m) with NO ADDITIONAL WIRES NEEDED.

I still fail to see why you need extra length for front-facing. Is your computer far away from your playspace? After raging-out on your response to me ("Yeh it is necessary...")(it is clearly not necessary as many of us users do not need this length... and why would my computer be outside???), can I help you with your setup to make it so you can play Arizona Sunshine the way you want? It really should only be a matter of moving your sensors to better capture your controllers.

Please tell about your setup, so we can figure out how to make your playspace playable.

PC Specs:
Intel i7-6700k @ 4.5 Ghz
RTX 2080 Ti - MSI VENTUS
850W Corsair HX850 PSU