I now own a (Used) Razer Hydra! :P — Oculus
New to the forums? Click here to read the "How To" Guide.

Developer? Click here to go to the Developer Forums.

I now own a (Used) Razer Hydra! :P

charlton_3393charlton_3393 Posts: 272
Nexus 6

My first ever bid in an Auction and I won... was so freaking excited!

My brother and I decided to go halves, hopefully the thing works... Seller description says its in good working order but if it doesn't work it can be returned for a full refund within 7 days (thank god the seller is here in Australia), paid through Paypal of course so there's some security there haha... But even then at that price its a steal!

Will keep this thread updated when it arrives and setting it up with my DK2, unfortunately I don't think there is any way of getting the Oculus Runtime to recognize the Hydra's without going through SteamVR with ReVive (I don't like too many layers haha) however I will hopefully get to play some games that I own on both the Oculus Store and Steam (Windlands for example is gonna be awesome) plus I can now try and build up my SteamVR Library a bit more... I already have The Lab and Google Earth VR which are both incredible even with the crappy Leap Motion hand tracking setup I have at the moment.

...And yes I know the DK2 will eventually be phased out of the Oculus Runtime (most likely this year) however I might be upgrading the headset to CV1 or Vive near the end of this year (unless I hear of CV2 or Vive2 soon) and there's always OpenVR that should keep the DK2 alive for just a little bit longer.

P.S. Yeah I know black line paranoia, can't be too careful though :tongue:
Specs:
- Windows 10 Pro x64 OS
- ASRock H87 Performance Motherboard
- Intel Core I7 4770 @ 3.40GHz Haswell Processor
- Reference Radeon RX 480 GPU
- 32GB Kingston HyperX DDR3 RAM

Comments

• HiThere_HiThere_ Posts: 1,275
    3Jane
    edited February 2017
    You won't be disappointed : They're a bit laggy and wobbly (perhaps as bad as PS move), but when you're using them you just don't notice it, and although you'd think the wires would limit you to front facing VR only, you just naturally adapt to them and they can be used for 360° VR too.

It's a shame Oculus VR proved unable or unwilling to provide them with the DK2, because it would have allowed developers to start using hand gestures back in 2014 (or even as far back as the DK1), and allowed Oculus VR to skip their whole 2D gamepad debacle, potentially tripling the CV1 sales in that process...

Not to mention they could be produced for ~4 times cheaper then the Touch bundle.

HOWEVER : Be aware that in the heat of the action you may pull the base off your shelf, so make sure to put something soft on the ground it can safely land on.

Magnetic tracking means no line of sight issue, wired means no battery issue, and you can even use them outside of VR on your monitor where they double as mouse/keyboard/gamepad input, because that's what they were initially designed for.

I'd say they're a must have for any DK2 user.
  • Xrc6Xrc6 Posts: 16
    NerveGear
    Why did Razer stop making them? I know they were initially pretty expensive and mostly useless at the time but surprised they haven't restarted production just for their OSVR, they may even be able to produce them cheaper now...shame, seemed like really good tech.
  • charlton_3393charlton_3393 Posts: 272
    Nexus 6
    Thanks for the heads up @Cyril, I will let you know my experiences with them when they finally show up. :)

And yeah these Hydras have been around since like 2011, imagine if Oculus had released DK1 or 2 with them, Oculus would have definitely had the advantage for a couple of years there, and im not worried about cable length either I only have a little over 1.3 - 1.3m (about 4ft by 4ft) space to play in haha.

@Xrc6 I think your right in saying they were initially pretty expensive, and since it was still very much a gimmick due to VR not really "existing" yet, Razer probably just didnt want to invest in R@D to improve the technology yet... they were rumored to have a wireless version coming years ago but that didn't happen (Well you could probably say that there new STEM Tracking system is a Wireless Hydra)

You know It would be amazing if Oculus (or Valve but im rooting for Oculus a little here lol) adopts this Magnetic Tracking technology and makes it work rather inexpensively instead of other line-of-site tracking tech, it would be a HUUUUGE advantage, especially if you could put the tracker on a shelf somewhere in your room and no matter where you walked or moved your hands, you were always tracked.
    Specs:
    - Windows 10 Pro x64 OS
    Nexus 6
    edited February 2017
    Well they have arrived!

And a day earlier than expected, went outside my front door to see a big Australia Post bag behind my green waste bin on my driveway, plugged them in and downloaded the drivers on Steam and they work great... mostly ;)

Don't get me wrong there is no stutter and they track pretty damn well, the only thing is I think that one of the magnetic coils in the base is out of alignment or something cos I can never get the controllers to line up 1:1 with my hands wherever I move, for example they might line up 1:1 when im standing in the middle of my play space, but if i move the controllers off to the right the controllers move off further than my hand, about another 2 feet away, making it look like I have very long arms lol, there is an imaginary 2ft by 2ft by 2ft cube where I calibrate them to my headset where they track fine, but outside of that they tend to travel further and rotate weirdly...

I tried rotating my base station around so that the cables going into the base are facing left, that seems to help a lot actually, after re-calibrating to the headset I have a better range of space that tracks well but again theres always a warp of the tracking that occurs to my right, all that is there is a window, my desk is made of wood but on the left of the desk is a metal frame shelf, that might be interfering I'm not sure, there is still much more testing to be done! :)

I also downloaded ReVive to get it working on Oculus, First Contact was fun but out of the Touch games I have thats the only one I could get working atm, Windlands on Oculus Store wouldn't boot but I have it on Steam so I will download it and try it through that.

All in all I am actually quite impressed, actually using the thing was pretty good once you get over the non-1:1 tracking that occurs frequently, I shall have more fun and testing in the morning. :tongue:

Specs:
    - Windows 10 Pro x64 OS
  • inovatorinovator Posts: 1,850
    Project 2501
    I don't get it. Why would u rather use those then touch controlls. That's a head scratcher. 
  • elbofforelboffor Posts: 2,572 Valuable Player
    Because ue has a dk2 not a cv1
    This is my forum signature.
    There are many others like it, but this is mine.
  • WarblokeWarbloke Posts: 931
    3Jane
    edited February 2017

phew - I'm just glad it come. I was going to say that $147.50 seemed expensive for a 'photo' of a Razer Hydra !

*Hail Hydra

"You can't believe everything you read on the Internet " :- Abraham Lincoln 
  • LuciferousLuciferous Posts: 2,005 Valuable Player
    I am still amazed at the price these are going for. I bought mine about 5 years ago for 50.00 GBP and sold them 1 year ago for 150 GBP. My advice would be sell your DK2 and Hydras now while you still can and put it towards a CV1.
  • kojackkojack Posts: 5,292 Volunteer Moderator

there is an imaginary 2ft by 2ft by 2ft cube where I calibrate them to my headset where they track fine, but outside of that they tend to travel further and rotate weirdly...

Not that surprising, the Hydra only has an optimal tracking range of 2-3 feet.
    http://www.razersupport.com/gaming-controllers/razer-hydra/

Although all mine does is jitter like it's having a seizure when I move beyond the range.

• Percy1983Percy1983 Posts: 1,410
    Wintermute
    Was just going to say they went up in value once people got them working in VR, could ahve picked them up for next to nothing a few years ago.

As with others as the dk2 is in theory no longer supported, to spend more money on making a dk2 setup doesn't seem the best of ideas, but if you are happy then carry on.
    Asrock Z77 Extreme 4 + 16GB RAM 1866mhz + i5-3570K at 4.5Ghz + Coolermaster Nepton 140XL cooler
    Sapphire 8GB RX 580 Nitro+
    256Gb SDD Samsung Evo 850 +3x2TB in raid 0 with 64GB SSD cache
    Thermaltake Level 10 GT Snow Edition + Toughpower 875w
    Nexus 6
    Yeah I am pretty happy with the setup, the only reason I got the hydras is there is no possible way at the moment that I can afford a $1100 CV1 or $1300 Vive, of course I will upgrade in the future but for now this is the best experience I can afford and its pretty cool :tongue:
    Specs:
    - Windows 10 Pro x64 OS
    3Jane
    In fact their price quickly dropped around ~100$, and I even got mine for ~50$ (that's brand new and from a shop, not second hand).

In theory the big problem with using cables in VR is that you can't turn 360° with them.

But truth is :
    - For front facing VR, you don't even notice you have cables.
    - For 360° VR, you naturally learn to rotate in a way that you don't pull the cables (when you need to rotate more then ~200° in one direction, you just do a full rotation in the other direction instead), and this has the added effect of not tangling the headset HDMI cable either.

My issues with wired hand controllers were only with room scale VR (including setting up the VR room scale borders) : That's when I was struggling with the cable length.

And although I'm happy I went wireless, my main issue with sticking with Razer Hydra controllers was more about losing out on Oculus Store titles without buying Touch controllers for it.

But the way I see it, with a DK2 and a pair of Razer Hydra you can hold out till CV2 really :)
    Nexus 6
    Cyril said:
    But the way I see it, with a DK2 and a pair of Razer Hydra you can hold out till CV2 really :)
    Well if I still cant afford VR when they finally announce CV2, then that will be the plan :) or get CV1 second hand
    Specs:
    - Windows 10 Pro x64 OS
    3Jane
    If I were to name a critical flaw in the CV1 hardware, it would be how easy it is to scratch it's lenses.

It doesn't help that the CV1 doesn't feature a GearVR like focus dial, and that it's faceplate seems tailor designed to rip off adult glasses to send them banging right into those easily scratched lenses (as seen in the video where Palmer Lucky delivers the first official CV1 to it's owner, and that's exactly what happens to him on his first try).

So good luck buying a second hand CV1.