cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

"Oculus has stopped working" Oculus installer freezes after being launched

RedundantGaming
Explorer
So heres what happens when I attempt to install the Oculus software.

1. Download software from https://www.oculus.com/en-us/setup/
  2. Run installer 
  3. Oculus logo fades in from black then fades back out
  4. Nothing else happens. The program stays a black box 
  5. If I click on it on the windows taskbar it immediately gives the windows error "Oculus has stopped working" and prompts me to close the software. Sometimes it does it 2 times in a row before actually closing.
I already ensured my Windows and Nvidia drivers are up to date. I also uninstalled sdk 0.8 and unplugged my DK2. So far none of these steps have had an affect on this issue. 

I don't have my CV1 yet but I would still want to resolve this issue before I receive it so my CV1 isn't a worthless brick when it arrives.

17 REPLIES 17

Popopinsel
Expert Protege
OK.

So the last thing your log file says is "All preflight checks passed". According to my own log file the next thing it wants to do is download the necessary files from the Oculus servers to your temporary download location which is "C:\Users\Kyle\AppData\Local\Temp\OculusSetup-<GUID>". The first file it catches is "teaser.wmv" which is the teaser movie that runs in the background of the Oculus Setup where you only see a black box.

So maybe a) your AV/Firewall is blocking the download or b) Oculus servers have problems or c) Oculus uses Windows Media Framework and you have removed it from your PC (or uninstalled Windows Media Player).

Edit: or d) have a look at this thread: https://forums.oculus.com/community/discussion/32469/oculus-1-3-installer-crash-after-showing-oculus-logo#latest

RedundantGaming
Explorer

OK.

So the last thing your log file says is "All preflight checks passed". According to my own log file the next thing it wants to do is download the necessary files from the Oculus servers to your temporary download location which is "C:\Users\Kyle\AppData\Local\Temp\OculusSetup-<GUID>". The first file it catches is "teaser.wmv" which is the teaser movie that runs in the background of the Oculus Setup where you only see a black box.

So maybe a) your AV/Firewall is blocking the download or b) Oculus servers have problems or c) Oculus uses Windows Media Framework and you have removed it from your PC (or uninstalled Windows Media Player).

Edit: or d) have a look at this thread: https://forums.oculus.com/community/discussion/32469/oculus-1-3-installer-crash-after-showing-oculus-logo#latest

Option D fixed it for me! I had all my libraries redirected to my non SSD because I only use my SSD for storing programs. Thanks for the assistance!

Anonymous
Not applicable
Hey will you try some thing for me? 
Plug in the USB of the camera and headset. BUT leave the HDMI unplugged. 
Reboot

Does oculus now stay open? 

if so, when you plug in HDMI does it close again? 

bo3b
Expert Protege
Well, this is still a problem today.  Sigh.  Disappointed.

Trying to install latest runtime.  Installer crashes at launch with the same exception above.

This is on completely clean Windows 7 install with all patches, and nvidia driver 378.49.

Oculus software has never been on this system, appdata has no Oculus folder.

Faulting application name: OculusSetup.exe, version: 1.10.0.48278, time stamp: 0x583dd00e
Faulting module name: KERNELBASE.dll, version: 6.1.7601.23572, time stamp: 0x57fd0379
Exception code: 0xe0434352
Fault offset: 0x0000c54f
Faulting process id: 0x1414
Faulting application start time: 0x01d289bc0bad3f82
Faulting application path: C:\Users\bo3b\Downloads\OculusSetup.exe
Faulting module path: C:\Windows\syswow64\KERNELBASE.dll
Report Id: 4a4ef802-f5af-11e6-b6c7-9cb6d00ae778Application: OculusSetup.exe
Framework Version: v4.0.30319
Description: The process was terminated due to an unhandled exception.
Exception Info: System.NotSupportedException
Stack:
   at System.Net.ServicePointManager.ValidateSecurityProtocol(System.Net.SecurityProtocolType)
   at Dawn.CertificatePinner.Initialise()
   at Dawn.DawnController.ActualMain(System.String[])
   at Dawn.EntryPoint.Main(System.String[])

bo3b
Expert Protege
Well it's still sad that Oculus software is so poorly written, but I found the answer to the System.NotSupportedException crash above.

You need to install an optional OS update.  KB2565063.

If it's required by the software, it should check, this is not rocket science.  Sad, sad, sad.

bo3b
Expert Protege
One last silly problem.  Even after launching, the installer fails with the message about requiring the Platform Update and a security fix.  Naturally both of those are already installed as proven by downloading the msi and running them.

You need to bypass the check in an admin cmd, in order to install.
OculusSetup.exe /bypassHotfixCheck

So.. yeah.  Missed a check that was actually required, and just crashes.  And then blew the check for stuff that is already there and blocked continuing.  So failing in both directions.

That's a fine piece of... software right there.

Astrotreks
Honored Guest
I have done everything I can think of to get rid of oculus files. It's still not working. I just want to install the new version back. 
It seems people were having these issues over a year ago. Any updates on fixes that could help me?

cakeuser
Honored Guest
Just going to add how I got around this for the CV1....

Try moving the setup exe file to your C drive and launching it from there. Had the same freezing issue as OP, until I moved it to the Windows drive, then it was fine.